HybridZ

Reprogaming a z31 new information found

ok I was doing a search on the net and found an R31 skyline page about reprogaming that ecu and there was a run through on that page and that the Z31 and R31 euc are the same except the z31 has a detonation sensor. On this site I do belive that the person give all the information to reprogram a Z31 ecu! I'm hopping that this information can be used by someone and that we can start getting these things reprogramed for larger injectors. Here's the site: http://imflame.ricetek.net/~darkhalf/

tbs

I don't understand whats wrong with Hex? Is it harder then the other way or does it just make programing more difficult? From what I saw that the programing looks to be indepth but thats no big deal I've looked at this before it's not like the easy way of just using maps and ajusting them but rather calcuating equations and looking over to see what code to type in. I would like to try it on a junk ecu but I would like to know if this is all I need to make it work?

tbs

Because most of us dont think in base 16, so it can be conusing to some. A product like Tunercat on the other hand, puts everything into "humanly readable" numbers and words, so its a little less hacker-ish.

But as for bang for the buck, it beats a $1500 aftermarket box, so long as you have enough headroom to make the changes that you need. I have decided to just go Megasquirt, after reading up on it for awhile.

I use a Hex Editor from Breakpoint software called Hex Workshop - there are free ones out there though, this one does have a shareware version as well I believe. This one of course has built in calculators and such to help make things easier. http://www.bpsoft.com

I am, of course interested in reprogramming, but I have to say my bigger injectors are working out real well, and I haven't had to do any electronic tricks (yet!). As a matter of fact, to avoid running so much fuel pressure (45 psi base), I was thinking about putting in my 420cc units (N/A RX7 gen 2). Then my fuel pump would have more overhead.

:D

I do intend to reprogram to eliminate the rev limiter (fuel cut), I have the information to do that, but I'm uncertain how the ECU fuels above the old limit? Bernard?

The info on that page is stuff that myself and the owner of the page (Matt) have been gathering and working on for about 6 months. I've actually had the Romeditor on my pc for about 3 years, I just didn't know what I was looking at. I've tuned my ecu somewhat but I'm running into problems with my newly rebuilt tranny so I haven't gotten into it as far as I had hoped to at this point. All the info needed to tune a Nissan Rom is on that page or linked to it.

Guest jt240z

I tried to download the RomEditor, but I keep getting a server login request. Does anyone have a copy of "romeditor19848e.zip" they can send to me or the login name/password that works?

hey Bernardd how do I add rpm's to this data? It only goes to 6000in one and 5600 in the other one. Also if I have any problems can you help me along with this if I can't figure them out? also jt240z for the password you must request one and then it's sent to you through email.

tbs

If you're interested in modifying the rom in your Nissan ecu you should read this:http://members.optushome.com.au/silent8ob/ecu.htm

This document refers to an ecu that is based on the Hitachi 6303 cpu. The vg30et ecu is based on the Hitachi 6802. The two ecu's seem to follow the same code structure. One problem with the vg30 ecu is that rather than using backup tables it has a series of checks that keep all variables close to stock. By that I mean it doesn't easily allow one to change, say the injector constant for larger injectors @ $BF2B-C and tune away. There are ways around this with the tp scales (load scales) and on the main fuel map, but it is easy to send the ecu into a fit and getting erratic pulsewidths. As far as my first reprogram went: I was able reburn no problem but I wasn't able to produce the result I was after. I haven't done any work on this for about 2 months now but I'm going to start again shortly.

Hey bernardd I know you sent me the hex file along time ago for the z31 could you email the files again so I can look at the hex so I can find the values I need to use larger injectors? Also to change my fuel maps can I just change them in the 3d graph editor and then save changes? would that do the trick or not?

tbs

TBS - one thing you might want to consider is the stock MAF. I believe the reason JWT went with a bigger Ford MAF is the stock Z31 unit may max out on airflow rather quickly. Unless you want to mess with reprogramming airflow values as well, I'm not sure how useful changing the injector map will be.

That's another reason (besides cost of ROM programming equipment) I went with a larger MAF housing.

sleeper I'm suprised you didn't go with a Z32 MAF they flow up to 500hp and are the better choice until you get into the problem of restriction in the intake. I know what you did and that was a guess and check method of bringing in unmettered air to the system, personlly I like the idea but I don't have a way of making a new mass housing. I'm trying to find out what values need to be changed to allow for larger injectors, I'll need to look at the HEX files to determine the four digit sequence.

tbs

sleeper I'm suprised you didn't go with a Z32 MAF they flow up to 500hp and are the better choice until you get into the problem of restriction in the intake.

tbs

$$$ -- I've not seen a Z32 in the scrapyard to date' date=' and Z31 MAFs are $20. The ECUs are different, and I don't know if the wiring is compatible. And my implementation also addresses intake restriction. My intake is a full 3-1/2" up to my new K&N, which is an oval 7" long, 4"x7" diameter. Comparing it to my old one, I've easily got double the surface area.

[img']http://zdriver.com/gallery/data/500/7291intake_640x480-med.jpg[/img]

TBS:

Merely changing the injector constant won't work. More reverse engineering is required. The 86 turbo bin file is available on the inflame site.

The maf is easily changable in the code. All the Nissan maf vq maps are available. The stock maf for the vg30 engine was used by JWT on the old 280zx turbo conversions, they changed because of the failure rate of the stock maf and the cost of replacement. The ford maf they use is made by Hitachi which happens to be the manufacturer of Nissan maf's. I not sure yet but I think it's got the same calibration as the 300zxtt maf. I'm getting a copy of a bin file that uses the ford maf soon.

:wink:

I've got a harness conversion halfway done to use the Maxima ecu with the 280 wiring. This ecu should be a little easier to deal with as all the chips on the board have data sheets readily available.

Regarding the Ford MAF. Clark went with the ford maf for a munber of reasons. First the part is 225.00 out the door and in the car. The Nissan MAF is about 500-700 depending on area and discounts if you can get them.

Second The Nissan MAF starts it's scaling at 2.2 volts @ 750 RPM. Clark was able to develop the table for the Ford MAF with an idle voltage of .7 volts and then a second map starting at .490 volts at 750 RPM. What this did was give hime the ability to increase the metering of the entire system, remember the MAF is key in the metering of the air into the engine, so the better resolution you can acheive on the MAF the better off you wil be in regards to maximum power developing ability of the system.

The ford MAF also was utilized because it like the Nissan MAF scaled in volts and not frequency like the GM MAF does.

The final thing that made the Ford part work out well is that it would scale over 5 Volts and again that made the power potiential greater with the part. The Nissan part output voltage is clamped to 5 Volts maximum output so when you hit that number you were done.

anyway, maybe I will start getting into this stuff and see how bad I can screw it up LOL I have a little spare change and can get the reader/ writer and take a look at that is going on.

Bernarrd so what is required to changed the valves on the high octane fuel maps? can I just use the 3d graph editor or what calcuations do I have to use to compute the new data?

tbs

The calcs are in the link I provided in an above post. There are several tables that keep injection between a min and a max. They are loaded if you use the cr31 .adr file with the vg30 bin file. Another value that needs adjusting is the invalid injection time which is the amount of time the injector is energized to the time it is fully open. Injector Slope, I believe is the correct term. There are also rpm scalers that need to be adjusted if you wish to go beyond the redline and control the afr. Otherwise the ecu does it on it's own and I have no idea what it does beyond the rpm scale. As there seems to be some interest in this again I'll change my injectors tonight and start playing with the code again. Jeffp: send me an email if want to start playing with the code in your ecu. You'll need a completely different .adr file to work with.

Bernard