HybridZ

anybody heard of FAST?...

Guest michael_240Z

Guest michael_240Z

i just saw a promotion on one of the NHRA shows on ESPN and this company FAST(fuel air spark) offers a service to(according to them) any reprogrammable ecu which will allow the user to program vitually every aspect(using your laptop connected to the ecu with provided media)to include: Idle Air Control

Fan and fuel pump control

1-stage nitrous oxide control

Knock retard with programable parameters and even individual cylinder managment. their site is:

http://www.fuelairspark.com/catalog/sequential.asp

i am going to call monday and find out if they can do that with an L28ET eccs.

Guest michael_240Z

well if their prices are anywhere close to what jwt charges for their service and they can do the service for the L28 ecu, i'll take FAST. i don't think jwt includes software to let you program the ecu from your laptop. and i even asked on zcar the other day if anyone had any software to let you tune an ecu from a laptop.

• 1 month later...
Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

This is not a plug and play type deal for our cars. The systems come with ECM, wiring harness software etc.... Comparing a FAST system to JWT is apples to oranges, the JWT stuff is good but this is a few steps way further. I have a Haltech system for sale that is simular to the FAST and is running on a L28T now, if your interested drop me a line.

This is not a plug and play type deal for our cars. The systems come with ECM, wiring harness software etc.... Comparing a FAST system to JWT is apples to oranges, the JWT stuff is good but this is a few steps way further. I have a Haltech system for sale that is simular to the FAST and is running on a L28T now, if your interested drop me a line.

Always the plugger, eh Alex? Your Haltech is just the fuel computer, not the spark, right?

FAST is lacking in the I/O dept. They also charge a pretty penny for their W/B setup and it's single channel. The system forces you to send the system back to them for upgrades. Their software seems decent, some features I'd like to see in my AEM actually. However for th eprice I'd look at adapting the AEM to the SBC. In fact I'm considering this ;) A Honda 1010 system coudl be adapted easily enough with the ignition triggering being the toughest part. I'm waiting for AEM to do a SBC app and then I'll take the plunge on my Z with a drilled single plane intake (finally). Pop over to the AEM forums for more info on the box. forum.aempower.com is the URL. I've been working alot with the system and for the money I don't think anything touches it!

I disagree, the wide band stuff is pricy from FAST but having the ability to punch in a ratio you need to be at, and the computer taking right there is very, very, cool. Moding a Honda crank trigger to a SBC is a crime. You can get any type of igntion set up for a a Chevy and before doing all that for a AEM product doesn't make much sense. Don't get me wrong I distribute AEM and the stuff is quality, but they need to develope a more user frendly true stand alone system. Not everyone has the cash to grab a NSX wiring harness to mod to there cars like there Civic has. For the money there are lots of options FAST, DFI, Holly Comander, Microtech and most of those systems are designed on a SBC. Good luck have fun.

Alex C

I disagree' date=' the wide band stuff is pricy from FAST but having the ability to punch in a ratio you need to be at, and the computer taking right there is very, very, cool. Moding a Honda crank trigger to a SBC is a crime. You can get any type of igntion set up for a a Chevy and before doing all that for a AEM product doesn't make much sense. Don't get me wrong I distribute AEM and the stuff is quality, but they need to develope a more user frendly true stand alone system. Not everyone has the cash to grab a NSX wiring harness to mod to there cars like there Civic has. For the money there are lots of options FAST, DFI, Holly Comander, Microtech and most of those systems are designed on a SBC. Good luck have fun.

Alex C[/quote']

Umm, you don't know anything about the AEM EMS do you? The Honda 1010 system is what they currently sell as their "race system". It, just like alll of their other ECUs, can be adapted to ANY harness. The Honda ECU plugs just happen to be cake to get and cheap. Why would you put a Honda trigger on the SBC?! Use any trigger you want and setup the AEM to read it! You didn't think they made a 100% unique box for EACH application did you :shock: ALL of their apps are the same box with a different daughter board for the ECU connector. One or two have reduced functionality because of the target platform's needs but almost all of them have the same features.

Price the AEM W/B - now price the FAST setup. Dealer cost on the AEM W/B with Bosch sensors is PEANUTS! It and most any other W/B can be wired into the AEM. The AEM does Automapping too. The AEM ECUs can accept most any sensor from almost any manufacturer once you have the data on it - that includes AIT, MAP, MAF, coolant sensor, ignition triggers, idle motors, and on and on. I wouldn't put anything "Honda" in that setup except the ECU plug. If I ran low impedance injectors I might use the Honda injector resistors or someone elses - MY choice. Hell my Supra has LS1 coils on it, a GM IAT, GM 3BAR MAP (going Kavlico soon), and a Kavlico fuel pressure sensor. Can you even input fuel pressure with the FAST? Nope, don't think so. You may not even be able to do that with the DFI. Can any of those others run an electronically shifted automatic transmisison? The AEM can with some caveats regarding amperage draw (use relays). Do either of those other systems offer any kind of comprehensive support? DFI most certainly doesn't and the FAST seems to only be supported via a Buick forum. :? Does DFI or FAST offer Traction Control? Do they plan to? How about dual W/B inputs? How much in the way of spare I/O for say methanol injection, intercooler spraying, or warning lites? I could go on but why don't you price the three systems out with a W/B one time. Hrm! Short of a Motec, and some would argue not even it, the AEM is more powerful and certainly cheaper.

Could the software be dumber? Sure it could and it could be less powerful too. They could have built the system for one set of sensors and made the Honda guys switch to GM sensors - that makes no sense. Their next software revision will be easier to use but all of the power will be there too, it's not a radical departure. Someone who isn't comfortable with the power of a full fledged stand alone EFI system really ought to be taking it to someone who IS comfortable with it or studying before touching one anyway. <shrug>

P.S. To use this on a SBC you're going to need a harness so add that cost or build one yourself. Something from the Street Rod guys woudl work fine. They have a PnP unit for the Ford harness already and I hope to put one on my Mustang too!

Well when I spoke to AEM witch the wholesaler I work for does distribute they told me I would have to mod a Honda/Acura harness and crank trigger to use there system again sensless and that only plug and play systems are available. I would love to try a AEM system, I know they are a top notch product, but untill its as easy to use as a Microtech or any of the others I dont see it happening. The phone call to them is free so I will gather the good info you have given me and check with them for some answers. Thanks.

AEM sells only PnP systems - this is true. However this is really just a wiring issue - the Honda 1010 box is what they have in their drag Civic and I believe is what has been used to get an Audo 1.8T running recently too. This works well because apparently those Honda connectors are cheap, easy to get, and that box has all I/O enabled. Only a few boxes have some I/O disabled BTW.

Chevy SBC apps and others are on their list. I've been bugging them about this because there's one or two GM ECUs that cover a HUGE range of motors and platforms. If they did this one they could really get a bunch of platforms covered at once pretty easily. However their focus at this time is getting a solid version of their software ready to roll and they've stated that NO new apps will go out until this is done. That software is CLOSE, I've been beta testing it for them for awhile. Hopefully when this is shipped a torrent of apps will come out, I know the Viper is high on their list too. :) When a SBC app is out, if I don't do it sooner, I'll put pone on my Z.

To be clear - the AEM software can handle most any sensor and each box is NOT dedicated to certain sets of sensors. You could even just use a simple trigger wheel if you wanted as that would be cake to setup. Considering the cost, especially at wholesale, the AEM is a huge bargain and is likely competitive and more powerful than other solutions you're familiar with. If you want head over to the AEMPower.com WEB site and ask some questions about what you'd want to see.....

P.S. They don't have a simple generic one size fits all box advertised because the support headaches would drive them batty. As it is they have tons of phone calls and 50+ postings a day on their support board. Can you just imagine the torrent of "how do I wire up my '67 Triumph distirbutor to the AEM?" type questions if they had official support for a generic box? Figuring out some of this stuff takes time with an O-Scope and the average Joe just doesn't have the skill. AEM has also found that some service manuals that describe this sort of sensor data are NOT always correct :shock:

I have tuned the FAST system and it is very nice. The basic setup with wideband, non-fully sequential, is about $1700 and then you need to get some coil packs for the ignition. Supra ones will work well. Its fuel/timing map is 16x16 which is perfect. It has an awesome tuning layout that makes it very easy to tune. For the money it is a great unit.

Which Supra coils are you using? the Supra coils on my MKIV require an ignitor to fire them and are NOT cheap. If those are what you're talking about look at the LS1 coils instead - integral ignitor and they fire nice and hot for about $30 a coil plus the connectors are readily available (so are Supra actually). I've actually switched from Supra coils (mine were old), dumped my OEM ignitor (which is "smart" with regards to dwell and hosed me when I went waste-fire), and installed LS1 coils which do exactly what I want with regards to dwell. As a result I can now idle MUCH leaner. The Supra coils aren't bad but for the money you can do better. It's possible to use LS1 coils in a COP config or if you want to go that way and not research interconnects for th eLS1 lemme' know and I can find you some true COP style coils that aren't big bux. ;)

You will need to call the FAST experts. However, Electromotive sells just the coil packs for 4, 6, 8 cylinder applications for running with units such as the Haltech and FAST. From what I remember the price is reasonable. I know with the Haltech the ignitor is not required to fire the MSD coils. I know the GN guys use the FAST to fire their stock coil packs so I guess it can be done. All I can say is call around to a FAST rep.