HybridZ

Pictures of Z's with ZX Turbo Motors, and Wiring?

I am doing the '83 Turbo motor swap into my '76 280Z and would like to see some photos to help me visualize. Also, what is the story with swapping the '83 Turbo ECCS system in to replace the '76 EFI. I hear that there are about 4 to 6 wires that will need to be spliced under the dash of the 280Z to make the ECCS and Turbo Motor work with the existing '76 dash harness and stuff.

I am swapping in:

ECCS module

Fuel Pump Control Module

ECCS turbo harness

Engine (bone stock '83 turbo)

AFM

Coil

Turbo Fuel Pump

Oil Cooler

Solid-State Regulated Alternator

Are there any other parts/harnesses that need to swap?

Thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not wired mine yet but I am doing a similar swap. In my '78 I noticed that under my dash there is a 4-prong plug that comes from the ignition switch and signals which position the ignition switch is in. My '83 computer would seem to require these leads if I read my wiring diagram correctly, so I found a matching plug from one of my parts cars and I plan to splice those into my '83 harness. There are other connections I think for things like the A/C clutch and others, I can't remember off the top of my head but I made up some marked-up drawings of the wiring diagrams for myself. If you can't make sense of your wiring diagrams (I'd recommend getting Haynes man.'s for both cars to compare the wiring harnesses) I can try to send mine, but you might want to wait until I actually see if mine works in the end :roll: Or wait for someone more experienced to help out.

You don't need the pump control do-hickey. I seem to recall the connections to make are at the relay box under the hood for ECU power and the start signal. I also had to re-wire my coil, but it may not be necessary for you.

Guest Anonymous

I have heard that using a fuel surge tank solves the fuel tank swap associated with putting an L28 turbo in a 240z. Can anyone comment or direct me to some technical info on the subject?????

Well im running a surge tank in my car with the original gas tank. I have run the tank down to .5 gallons and havent had a single problem around turns. I can post some pics if you would like. A surge tank is easy to make, 3" exhaust tubing would work perfect. I made mine out of 3", 1/4" steel lol.

Oh and btw, im can't go past 5000 rpms. But i think its an ignition issue not fuel starvation

Guest livewire23

240hoke:

Are you running an electric fan with that setup? I'd really like to run my intercooler pipes inside the engine bay, but I'm afraid the fan's gonna be too close.

what size intercooler pipes is everyone running?

enginebov.jpg

This is an older picture, and I've redone the intake - no more PVC crap - it was starting to flow on me, as well as be a PITA to keep hose clamps tight.

My IC pipes start at 2" from the turbo, through the intercooler, then I expand out to 2-1/4", then 2-1/2", then to 3", and a transition to 3-1/4". Yeah, it was some work, but I intend to run this setup for a while.

I had to run an electric fan, obviously there is no room for the regular one, but at least I didn't have to go to a pusher type.

Guest livewire23

:shock: That is some big pipe into the TB. I'm thinking about just running 2.5" all around kind of like the bumble bee engine up there. In fact, I'm starting to think why bother plumbing it properly if I dont plan on keeping this setup for long. Maybe use rubber pipe. Whatever.

Right now its more pressing that I figure out how to keep my engine from leaning out at high RPM. Apparently there is still something in my tank, because after one high speed pass, the gas pickup clogs and the gas flow is greatly reduced. PITA. Maybe its the pump?

:shock: That is some big pipe into the TB. I'm thinking about just running 2.5" all around kind of like the bumble bee engine up there.

Well, the turbo and IC were 2", and the throttle body was 3-1/4". I kept the pipe small until I had to neck it out, but I didn't want to do it all at once - talk about killing flow velocity.

Thanks everyone. Keep 'em coming. This is what us TurboZ people need to develop our machines.

I will surely post pics of mine as it progresses. Right now the '83 motor is starting to look sweet on the hoist and the '76Z is starting to look like a root canal patient in a dentists waiting room. :lol:

Guest ON3GO

nice setup! how did u get that Z on the FMIC? just paint?

also what radaitor are you running?

im trying to find the thin'est electric fans but one of the best, and also a good radaitor for my swap.

as i think im gonna run a NPR intercooler also.

mike