HybridZ

240 vs. 280 weight?

I know 280's are heavier than 240's, a lot more weight in the 280 bumpers. If you had two cars, both absolutely stripped to the bare frame, nothing else you could take off without the sawzall, how much heavier is a 280 than a 240?

Good question, but it gets more complex... For instance, the later model 260 chassis is really the same as the 75/76 280. The early model 260 Chassis is like a 72/73 240. The 77/78 models are the heaviest chassis of all 9 years, as they have more metal in them in the trunk area and behind the seats.

Steve and Ian are worried about the weight hit on doing an fi 2.8L motor as it supposeldy weighs over 100# more than a carbed 2.4L motor.

Be interesting to find out for sure!

Mike :D

Well you have to take the whole engine into account... The FI hardware included the TB and AFM. The 2.8 crank and block probably weigh more, just how much I'm not certain, but The guys at Rebello's told Ian and Steve that if we went with factory FI 2.8 over the motor they are running right now, that is would be an automatic 100+ pounds of additional weight... I questioned that number as well.

Mike

Yea, but supposedly it is a stronger block due to the webbing, and the higher content of something in the metal... I forget exactly what, I want to say Nickle, but I'm not sure... Anyway, the whole package is supposed to weigh 100#+ more which, as mentioned before, I don't see it, but someone supposedly weighed them and that's what they came up with I guess...

Mike 8)

I know the JTR manual claims they removed something like 23 pounds of wiring and sensors when they ditched the FI. Also the 2.8L block may have bigger holes, but it was cast in such a way to allow bigger holes in the first place. For example a 283 SBC is a completely different casting than a 350 or 400.

Well also consider the larger fuel lines, and much heavier fuel pump, larger fuel filter etc.. I know its sounds silly, but lb by lb...it adds up I guess...oh .. larger tank..more vent lines etc...

BTW With a full cage, l28 with webers, 90% of the interior, larger wheels, sway bars, exhaust, wing/ body aero, bigger brakes, I had my Z weighed at 2680 with a 1/3 tank of gas.

I think my car has gained weight now, as I added much more bracing, full interior back in the car, even bigger wheels, etc...

Yea, but supposedly it is a stronger block due to the webbing, and the higher content of something in the metal... I forget exactly what, I want to say Nickle, but I'm not sure...

Yep, Nickel, same in the LS1 blocks between the two MFG plants, one had more nickel content and was chosen for making the LS6 block (which some say sucks anyway).

Guest ON3GO

so 76 280Z's are the same as a late model 260Z in weight? AWESOME.. more good news to me.

has anybody weighed the Euro bumpers and 280Z bumpers? i wanna know how much ill be saving there.

mike

Hold on there sport... Just the chassis... The 75/76 had a ton of extra wiring and gadgets, plus the 5MPH bumpers were yet reenforced with additional metal side plates... So it weighs probably REAL CLOSE in chassis form, but more in full dress working moving vehicular form!

Is that a word, Vehicular??

Mike :D:D

Guest ON3GO

well im taking off the bumpers off to put on the Euro bumpers on it. also ripping out the heater, a/c, putting in 240Z dash in it, and racing seats, among other things.

hoping to save weight!

mike

According to Jim Thompson at Sunbelt the N42 block has the highest nickel content of all the L6 blocks Nissan produced and is the most dimensionally stable at operating temperature. The N42 block weighs about the same as the other separate cylinder block castings.

The F54 block is ultimately stronger but heavier then the N42 (and others) because of the siamesed design of the cylinders. The siamesed cylinder design also distorts the cylinder at operating temperature and adversly affects ring seal. This can be reduced by boring and honing the block while its heated as close to operating temperature as possible.

Nissan L6 crankshaft weights are almost identical with the diesel crank being the heaviest at 52 lbs and the L24 crank coming in at 48 lbs. Pistons, rings, rods, etc. are somewhat heavier for a L28 vs. a L24. A FI manifold with injectors and the fuel rail weighs more then SUs, the two intake manifolds, and the fuel lines. The FI fuel pump weighs more then the mechanical fuel pump.

I'm not sure if all of this adds up to a 100 lb difference but I would expect a FI L28 to weigh more then a carburated L24.

My 78 weights 2750lb on a scale with half tank of gas me (160-170lb) and full size spare and box of tool :D No A/C compressor but I do have turbo and IC. No bumper on the rear and 240 bumper on the front. I guess dry weight is about 2550lb.

Actually, in the SCCA SOlo2 Prepared category you get a weight penalty of 10% (if I remember correctly) for upgrading to FI from carbs. Steve and I were talking about that at the MSA show. If its done right, I feel the torque and drivability benefits of FI outweight the weight penalty.

I don't think Steve was planning on running a L28 in Prepared. If he is running a 240Z chassis he is limited to a 2.4L engine. A 260 can run a 2.6L and a 280 can use the L28. At least that's what is in stored in my brain cells, although I'm starting to have storage problems.

John, there may be some confussion all around. I asked if they were interested in doing the L28 thing, and I'm not sure if they really wanted to go L28 or just FI. They'd really like to go with standalone and individual TBs... But that is bux.

Mike :D