HybridZ

flip up nose

Guest Perry

Guest Perry

I put the pics in my personal gallery-check 'em out.

I welded the stock steel parts together and fabbed a hinge with a torsion bar spring in it. I didn't have the airdam on it when I took the pics, but it flips with the nose. wasn't too bad to do. I ended up cutting out the support structure I had built for it because the steel parts are plenty strong enough. This is one huge piece of sheetmetal. It is nice to pull 2 bolts and remove the entire front clip from the car for working on stuff. I am still working on other parts of the car so I haven't got to filling the seams and finishing it off.

Anyone have an idea what I should use for filling the seams? It probably needs to be more flexible than body filler. I have thought about lead but never worked with it before. when I welded it I tacked in a strip of sheetmetal to fill the gap, so whatever I use won't have to fill a big hole, just finish off the surface.

The flip up looks good. Is it heavy to lift? As fo the seams, I would weld all the seams closed then grind them smooth , then putty them. This way the putty won't crack. Becareful welding, don't weld in one area too long or your panels will warp.

Guest Perry

My MIG skills are not the most consistant around so I am avoiding welding the whole panel line. Right now they are stitched with a 1 inch bead every 10 inches or so and plenty strong. I'm looking for other options to finish this thing out.

Guest Perry

I forgot you asked about weight,

It's a lot of sheetmetal. I have no problem opening it with no assistance, my wife wouldn't be able to though. I built a torsion bar spring setup for it which makes it very easy to open and close, my wife can work it that way. I use a small roll around engine lift to handle it when it is off, I will build a padded roll around stand for it before I paint it so I can take it on/off easy and store it against the wall without scratching it.

Guest Perry

I kinda like the seams too, still deciding what to do.

The airdam is no closer to the ground than the hood when up. The hinge point is as far forward and down as possible, so there really is no ground clearance lost when flipped up. I guess I should take some more pics of it.

Guest Perry

update:

I put the doors on it again last night and looked over the flip clip. It does not hit the doors when opening and closing, and I was able to get the panel lines pretty straight without much effort. I think it's gonna turn out real nice in the end. I'll post some more up to date pics when I get around to taking them.

Perry

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...