HybridZ

EFI: megasquirt

Guest vodkaboy

Guest vodkaboy

well, i have gotten fed up with my stock L-shi.. erm, jetronic rip off, that nissan used on my '77 280Z (it does not like to work right, and is not very versitile). not to mention i want something with an O2 sensor...

anyway, i have been reading up on the megasquirt EFI system, and it looks really neat so far. some of the guys on a ford bigblock forum use them, and love them. Has anyone here used it? anyone here have programs for it? what else should i look for when/if i do change over? i know i will need an O2 sensor bung, but that is just a machine shop visit away. How should i go about hooking up a MAP sensor? what are some good injectors that i could pop in (mine arent in the best of shape)? anything else i should know before geting started?

There is one user here at least, and Moby is about to be #2 (if not more that I dont know of). I very likely will be joining the ranks pretty soon, some of the parts are on backorder till sometime in June last I heard though. I will probably be getting my stuff in 3-4 weeks.

Hi,

I am currently working on a mega squirt setup for my 260Z. I already have it soldered but I am having a difficult time getting the right case for the board. As for MAP sensors, It is provided with the unit. Go megasquirt. I think you won't regret it. The system is very well documented ( better than some expensive professional systems I'm told) And there is a mailing list where people are very helpful.

I think my system wil be up and running in about a month. So expect to here from me then.

Xander

i hear a lot about megasquirt, but its mostly people saying they either want to know more about or they want to get it, nto people saying how good it works, which i think is up to the builder mostly, i would like to see some running cars with megasquirt and see if its for me.

i like L-jetronic, its a simple and easy to use system, and i think for NA its more than enough for a stock or even a built engine. you dont have an 02?

Guest eric-z

I am interested in it as well. I've been looking around the web site and printed out the manual. my question is, do you have to purchase it in a group buy?

eric

You don't have to wait for another group buy. You can order the partial kit from them (pcb, injector drivers, map sensor and programmed ECU) The price is very reasonable and the quality is very high. If you do deside to buy the partial kit. I would strongly sugest that you buy the stimulator board aswell. Then you can check the Megasquirt on your desk at home. Since most of us have the megasquirt ready before the car it is nice to know that everything went well with the soldering and construction.

there was a guy on the list who had some installation problems on his BMW but didn't have the stimulator. He could'nt verify if the megasquirt was the problem or something else. good luck

Xander

I will be using MS on my 240 turbo, but don't wait on me for results. I've got way too many projects going right now. Now I found a 3.54 diff so it looks like I will be swapping in my BW T-5 and R200 diff next. That will require new driveshaft and custom tranny mounts. And I am still trying to work on the V8 car so....

I've built one MS, and have it up and running on the bench with the stimulator. So far, so good. It really is a neat system. This ones is going in a track car myself and some friends are building. It'll have a 10:1 NA L28 in it. It's at the body shop being painted, and when it returns it will be going to my house to put the engine and EFI in. I'll post results when I have them. I'm dying to get the motor in, and start tuning!

Pete

<sigh>

I have a MS 2.0 kit (not built), with a Stimulator built. I need to get a relay kit. My plan is to make it run my Holley Projection 4bbl TBI. But with progressive barrels/injector-sets, and an stepper motor IAC, it'll take some electro-wizardry that I'll need to pick some brains for. No time soon. Of course, the Holley 4D box will be installed soon with the rest of the kit (fuel plumbing almost finished), and if it is bad as I've heard, I'll be moving to the MS sooner.

Update: Just got an email from DigiKey, my order shipped today. I will say that I am VERY impressed with the customer service at DigiKey, they have kept me updated every step of the way concerning my back ordered parts.

Tim

Guest eric-z

when did you all order your MegaSquirt packages? I would really like to have it finnished and in the car by the middle of August, just need to wait for my next paycheck on thursday before I can order it.

eric

I ordered the parts on 5/16 The only part left to receive is a couple %5 carbon film resistor 1/2 watt

Ugh, forget carbon film - that is 1940s technology. Fit metal film resistors in there instead - you can get better tolerance and reliability.

I ordered in Oct 2002 and got in at the end of the last group buy.

Now that I know about MegaSpark, I need to buy and build another Megasquirt box. MegaSpark does it's stuff (replacement for mechanical and vacuum advance plus other functions) using the MegaSquirt computer.

Guest Tempe_Z

Man oh man if they'd only get the MegaSpark/ignition side finished I'd be all over this thing. I'd help on it if I had the know-how and I don't but it's been on "coming soon" status for a long time.

**Ack, my bad was thinking MegaJolt not MegaSpark**

IT RUNS!!!!!

today I started my 260Z on the megasquirt. It runs soooo nice. It has no exhaust at the moment, just the header (MSA). It rumbles straight through your underbelly, very sexy :). now I just have to finish my exhaust (thinking about a dynomax muffler) and some minor electrical stuff to get it on the road.

xander

Yeah, the MegaJolt should be pretty sweet, but I'd settle for just having a TPS,MAP,rpm ECU-mapped advance curve (MegaSpark). Then drive an MSD or other CD type box. The Pertronix Second Strike looks interesting too, but $300 is pricey.

Xander, WTG on the Megasquirt install! Congrats!