HybridZ

what makes 280Z 500 pounds heavier than 240Z

Guest zrl

what are the diiferences that a stock 280z has that makes it 500 pounds heavier than a 240z?

are their bodies (every thing stripped) the same weight ?

Couple of things contribute to more weight... The 5MPH bumpers are a HUGE contributor. Another issue is the metal added to the later 280 chassis is fairly significant as well. Another issue is suspension. The strut tubes on the later Zs is larger in diameter and you can FEEL the difference in picking them up... There was a catalitic converter and a resonator added to the later Zs, as well as a purge tank at the rear fuel filler. The addition of Fuel injection added more wire, more sensors, more complexity and more weight.

Hope this helps.

Mike :D

Guest Dan0myte
The 280 has much heavier and more bracing than the 240. The frame rails etc all all much larger.

Which is why the 280Z is a much better option for a big horsepower engine swap. Less worries about chassis twisting and part breakage.

Ya but if your going for BIG HP goals its not going to matter which car you pick because they are both not intended for big HP. You will still have to do everything that you would do to the 240Z, to the 280Z...cage, subframes, strut bars, etc..... :D

Just pick the car that you like most and worry about the weight later! :D 8)

Guy

Absolutely... There was a member on here for a while that had done the Swap and everytime he stepped on the gas the car would twist, so much so that going around corners his doors would pop open! Make sure you add sub frames at bare minimum.

Phantom, Did you weigh it with the same amount of fuel??? I know this question will come up, so I figured (As a fellow V8Zer) I'd go ahead and ask! Fuel is 6# per gallon...

BTW, Your weight differences are EXACTLY what I like seeing! :D

But wait, the V8 and T56 Combo are supposed to be SOOOOO Much heavier! :shock:

Couldn't resist!

Mike,

Actually it had a couple gallons more fuel the second time but no spare tire so I counted them as a wash. This car is fully equipped. It has AC and the entire original interior plus one of those MSA speaker panels back by the hatch and the console adder that has the cupholders - After all - Can't have a car without cup holders.

I still have strut tower braces to add but they will only be about another 15 lbs.

Dan, Actually this is even more significant since Phantom is using a 120#+ T56 trans instead of a T5. That is pretty darned amazing if you ask me... There you have it, Full interior, A/C, Sound deadening to I'd imagine, Stereo and speaker rear hatch panel...

God Bless the GM Bowtie!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BigWhyteDude

drax the block and the heads are i think on some the intake was actualy plastic. :?: . So save for the pistons,rods,crank, and cam yeah it is.

But wait' date=' the V8 and T56 Combo are supposed to be SOOOOO Much heavier! :shock:

[/quote']

LOL

At least 500 pounds is what I have heard.

Phantom, doesn't your car have an R230 rear with CV's? Were those in there already?

In all fairness, I think this is part of the 500# weight gain that most people associate with a V8 swap. An upgrade that probably isn't necessary with an L6 set up.

Guest MistressMotorsports

I thought that a 280 was heavier than a 240 because the motor was bigger. So, a 260 should be right in between, correct? OK, I'm really not that ignorant.

Actually, I would think that an LS1 combo with good setback would be lighter AND have better weight distribution than an L6. Probably be the ultimate track whore car. Add the right trans and rear, some flares and big Coffey sized tires and go Viper hunting. Too bad they'd frown on it at vintage races or I'd be tempted. Imagine a mild 450 horsepower 2200 pound track car (OK, some of you don't have to imagine, I still do.) Sweeeeet.

Mike