HybridZ

Tripple Carb Intake Manifolds

I need your opinions on this folks. I bought Triple Solex DCOE Carbs (40mm) and I was wondering what is your take on intake manifolds. I'm looking at a nice Mikuni Intake Manifold with Linkages for about 400 bucks right now. Good price? If so where can I find better prices or best setups for my future carb setup.

I think $400 is high, but I haven't bought a manifold lately either. My gripe with the Mikuni Manifold is the short runners. The air/fuel has to negotiate 2 sharp turns to get to the head. As I recall, #1 and #6 are really bad. They also have to use a very long velocity stack to make the effective runner length longer so there is some bottom end.

I was given a Cannon manifold for my 44's, and bought my Mikunis with linkage and manifold. I traded the Mikuni Manifold to a friend who cut it up for use on a 510, and adapted the Cannon for use with the Mikuni linkage. I then had some 3/4" velocity stacks made. Everyone I've called, Rebello, Malvern, etc. that I've told about the setup has told me that I did the right thing. I did it just out of a gut feeling that it would work better, but it seems to have been backed up by those in the know.

The Cannon Manifold was VERY POORLY CAST! I had a lot of work to do to port match it to the head. 4 of the holes were no where near round when I got it, and the PO had just slapped it on and ran it, no previous porting.

The Mikuni LINKAGE seems much better to me. All of the Weber setups I've seen that were on used carbs had the rod ends frozen and were really rusted and junky looking. Mikuni uses a chrome rod with teflon (???) bushings and ball/socket joints on the carb linkage, which I prefer.

I don't know how easy the TWM manifolds are for adapting linkage, but you may want to check them out as well. They are a longer length, and the 510 manifolds I've seen have been SWEET.

Jon Mortensen

Guest JAMIE T

I've heard the TWM is good. I've got a Hayashi Racing mainfold :D . I like the old school JDM stuff, quality! No sharp bends, and it has large runners, 45mm at the inlet. I'm about to set it up with some Solex carbs also. But, I'm doing blow-thru turbo. Did you get them from the Ebay guy in Italy? Also, who has the Mikuni manifold? Wolf Creek Racing by any chance?

Guest JAMIE T

That's why I am a HybridZ Master :D

I sent you a PM on those carbs and some othe stuff. Seems like we are doing the same sort of thing. I have been doing MUCH internet research on these carbs.

• 2 years later...
Guest Zeenomorph
Bought the Carbs from the Ebay guy in Italy...good or bad idea? And the Mikuni intake manifold is from Wolfcreek. You're on top of this one...

Also if you have AIM/AOL please message me. "Apt107xquoc"

I have used both Canon and Mikuni manifolds. It all depends on how you tune them. I am looking for a manifold for my triple 44' mikuni's to fit my Z. My old one was trashed. Can someone sell me some?

Bought the Carbs from the Ebay guy in Italy...good or bad idea? And the Mikuni intake manifold is from Wolfcreek. You're on top of this one...

My friend bought carbs and carb parts from the same guy. No problems here..

I have the TWM manifold and am happy with it. It has nice staight runners, is shorter than the Cannon, but longer than the mikuni. It was $400 complete with inkage and insulators, which were the o-ring variety and I didn't bother using them anyways. The only problem with the linkage was I had to buy a bracket to switch the throttle arm from the left to right side on the furthest carb out because the throttle shaft wasn't long enough.

• 9 months later...
Guest Mikuni44

I'm new here but I must say pleazzze be careful when dealing with Todd at Wolf Creek Racing. The guy is a scam artist and will rip you off if the chance is given. I dont want get into specifics because I'm still new here but I'm out my Mikuni!

Todd bent over backwards to help me, and I was referred to him by other racers who had nothing but good things to say. If you're going to register here just to flame a vender, you're not going to last very long. The fact that you dug up an old post to do so is even worse.

Jon is right about the ball-and-socket linkages. They have much lower friction and therefore work a lot better. If you can’t find any of the Mikuni linkage pieces (very hard to locate now) you can adapt the Nissan ball-and-socket throttle linkage parts to your triple carb set up. Use the 8mm ball studs available from Pierce Manifolds (part number 700.123). Here are a couple of set ups I did:

webercloseup1.jpg

webercloseup2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...