HybridZ

Are there any ZX diehards here? (turbo or tight suspension)

tannji

hey all... got a ZX related question.

Back when I first got hooked on Z's, I bought a 79 ZX for $1200. I liked it, but was immediately underwelmed, as it was the pep and handling of the earlier Z's that attracted me in the first place. I rectified this by upgrading the suspension. (bought a nice 76 Z = )

I have been considering going the turbo route after I finish reconditioning my current sbc 240Z, and was looking at some of the Dett options. However, I have an opportunity to pick up a ZXT at a very reasonable price, and in nice enough shape that I feel guilty just gutting it. What kind of potential does the ZX have thru suspension upgrades to approach the performance and fun of the earlier marque? If I do some upgrades to the motor, and match them with strut, spring, bushing, ect upgrades and "tune the suspension, is this something that will satisfy the average Z30 fan? (at least, as a second car)

I suppose a worst case scenario is that i drive it until I have the motor set the way I want, and then do a motor swap with a Z30, and sell the XZ with the NA motor cheap.... but has anyone kept their ZXT, and managed to wring good enough handling out of it to be a replacement for the Early Z?

just curious, and really expecting a chorus of "ayes".... but please let me know what your experience has been.

thanks,

tannji

Guest szlash280z

I don't know what you're talking about dude! I loved the handling of my 82ZX 2+2! At the time I had it I wasn't as knowlegeable about cars so I may not think the same way now, but back then it was awesome!

It actually seemed to handle better than my S30 in some cases. My S30 seems so stiff that When going around some corners it feels as if one tire comes off the ground. Plus my S30 nibbles the road a lot (wheel gets pulled away from and then back to center really fast passing over bumps and stuff) My ZX didn't do that. I did notice that one of my front control arm bushings is torn and basically useless. We must have screwed it up when installing it, don't know when it finally gave up the ghost. This is probably what is causing my wheel nibble problem.

Anyway, I think the ZX handles great. It looks great too. If you already have an S30 with a SBC in it, keep it! If the money permitted I would also get that ZXT and keep the engine in it! 2 Z's are better than one!

:D:D:D

I will of course keep as many Z's as I can, in the interest of preserving the Marque.... In keeping with this undertaking, I will be accepting donations. Cash or Zcars preferred, of course. :-D

All I know is this. When I had the 79 and the 76, the 76 had better grip on the exact same pirellis. there was of course more harshness and feedback from the road... but I love that feedback. I missed it in the ZX, because I never felt quite as in control, or aware of how close I might be to killing my self = ) THe bumpsteer problem can be greatly reduced in the Z, but I never had that problem in the ZX, because it seemed to absorb that input in the steering linkage, producing a very "american" feel to the handling. So, without coming off as bashing the ZX, is there anyone that has had the same gut feeling as me, and managed to upgrade the basic attitude of the ZX, as far as handling and feel?

I mean, it is no big loss either way.... as I said before, I can always buy the convertible 240Z, swap in the turbo, and sell the zx with the 78 EFI motor. it has performance work and should impress the hell out of some kid. = )

tannji

I actually used to own a 77 280 Z with a 83 turbo motor and an 1983 280zx turbo at the same time and would drive both on different days of the week. I just recently bought another 280zx turbo. In my experience the difference between the stock suspension on the Z and the ZXT are quite significant and clearly in favor of the Z.

However, the suspension of the ZX can very easily be tuned to match the Z. And while the semi trailing arm of the ZX is technically inferior, the difference is not noticeable and indeed Paul Newman'z winning (highly modified) 280zx was still using the rear semi trailing arms.

A significant benefit of the Zx is a stiffer chasis and much better aerodynamics (the aerodynamics on the Z are lacking). Also the ZX maintains better suspension travel when aftermarket lowering springs are used so it does not bottom out as easilly.

SO the 280zx suspension can easilly be set to perform as well, you will need aftermarket performance springs and shocks. (my experience between the 2 cars relat to agressive street driving, lots of mountain roads, twistes and "weekend races", I can't tell you about differences when settinp up the cars for open track races.)

Another issue is the steering feel which is bettet in the stock Z, however the use of larger diameter (16 or 17") rims and wider tires (225's) do abolute magic to eliminate the overboost feeling of the stock 280zx steering.

A counter point in favor of the Z is significantly higher availability of aftermarket parts and nicer (classic) lines on the car. Off course getting the car with a working turbo already in it is quite nice.

In the end I liked both cars equally, was slightly more attached to the Z (was more customized), but actually after setting up the suspension, my ZXT performed as well if not slightly better than the Z (280Z not a 240 Z) with the turbo swap, and was more stable.

Good post, and kind of what I was hoping to hear... I really dont car much for the appearance of the ZX, but if I can get this one affordably it might be worth the time. I am in a bit of a quandry, as I really shouldnt be getting both the convertible and the turbo zx, but they are both things I have wanted for a long time.... and the ZXT's are getting harder to find. Thanks for the input on the Zx.... I have drive quite a few, but never considered actually sinking money into them. = )

tannji

If you take the time and money to replace the springs, shocks and bushings. Along with getting the compents back to factory spec or better helps. What I'm talking about are the ties rod ends etc. You'll have a much better handleing and much more enjoyable car. You can find camber plates for the ZX if you need the adjustablilty.

I like my ZX alot, I hate the extra weight, but I like its looks, and some think it is alot bigger then the Z, but it is really not. It has more room to work with if you are going the turbo route.

JeffP has some schematics for the big bushing in the back end, he made his out of aluminum, and I think that is the ticket. The diff is securely attached in the ZX, and the suspension is better if you ask me.

I need to go thru mine again. The bggest problem with the ZX is the aftermarket support is not there as it is will the Z's. There is some, but not as much.

One of these days I will either find a nice example of a ZX and transplant my stuff, or put it in a Z and have at it. Just depends on what I find I guess.

Has anyone looked at the 510 as it relates to the ZX suspension? Same semi-trailing arm setup, right? I wonder if the same mods apply, slotting the crossmember and such. For spring height and weight jacking you can install a Stock car style weight jack on the 510, should be able to on a ZX (???). Not exactly a bolt on, but if you're serious about it they are pretty cool. Big threaded shaft with a 1/2" square drive that sits above the top spring perch. You can raise and lower ride height and set corner weights.

510's have the steering box, so I imagine a lot of those issues have been worked out as well. I know a friend of mine converted his 510 steering to 5/8" rod ends. I was jealous of how easy it was to do. He just took the steering knuckles and the drag link to the drill press and drilled them all out to fit a 5/8 bolt (there are instructions on this in the How to Hotrod book if I remember properly) and bolted the rod ends on. Then he got your standard Pinto bump steer spacer kit from Coleman, and was able to change bumpsteer very easily at the tie rod ends.

Jon Mortensen

First off, you are corrdct the stock 30 year old suspension sucks, replace it, all of it. Remember, the car was termed a touring car from the factory and it is mushy from the get go.

But if you want to do some significant suspension upgrades, they are out there, and along with the added upgrades I have designed for the car, I am very confident in saying that my ZX handles just like a race car now.

There situations with the ZX that you really need to address, and once that is taken care of it is a new car.

And one thing I will tell you, once you have done all of the mods you can do to the car, when you get into a 240-280 and ride in that car it feels like you are driving a rattle box (no disrespect intended) I dont know anybody that drives a tighter car then mine, hell I have even done mods to the car Paul Newman did not do to his car, and it paid off big time in the end.

Products and support of the ZX sucks really, for some reason this model seemed to fall between the cracks and no one ever really did a complete suspension package for the car, anyway. I know all of the ricks to make this car tight, and if you dont believe me, come and take a ride in it, LOL :D

• 3 weeks later...

So JeffP, are all of your "tricks" listed on your website. My ZX is in desperate need of suspension work and I would like to make it as good and tight as possible. Any suggestions you can offer would be great. I will also check out all the info on your site. Thanks JasonE

You will want to mount the rear cross member to the car with the bushing I designed. You will want to go with better strut enssioning bar bushings. Get rid of all the rubber mounts in the front. Buy better shocks and springs, especially for the rear. Then get some good sway bars and you will be in there.