HybridZ

130...140...160mph...???

davidh

I did a 180* spin at about 115 mph. Caught it going backwards at about 80. Anyone else beat 80 mph backwards??? :wink: Oh, yeah, I caught it in the dirt too. So I've gone 80 backwards off road in my Z... beat that. :lol:

As for driving forward I'm sure I'm nowhere near the record, I don't think I've broken 125, because there was always a turn at the end of the straightaway...

7800 rpms

I have a friend whose tach in her Z has got to be off by 2000 rpm. She's always telling me that I'm overrevving her motor when I drive it, I don't think I've ever had it to 7000 rpm. One possible explanation.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done somewhere between 60 and 80 backwards, in traffic rapidly approaching a red-light. Your record stands.... I was not looking at the speedo much, the car I had just beaten and the cars ahead.... make that behind me, already stopped at the light were taking more of my attention. I do remember realizing that the car brakes significantly better going forwards than backwards tho. Guess that could be my claim to fame, longest tread-strip laid down going backwards in traffic.... :P

A local guy just did 101mph in a super 7... in reverse.

http://www.super7cars.com

Incidently I also beat him in the last autoX we had here. Beating an ex-canam driver who is in a super 7 isn't something to sneeze about. Oh, did I mention he DNF'd 4 times? :D

Actually the Z we just put the 3.1L in did in fact beat him in the time department by a 59.XXX to 61.XXX margin, and the 240z/3.1 was on course the whole time. :P

Challenge ACCEPTED! :D

While running at ElMirage three years ago, Andy Flagg in the Land Speed 280Z went into a flat spin at 140+mph!

The car went fully backwards, and about 195 degrees of rotation before the parachute deployed over the TOP of the hatch and jerked him back straight ahead...

He ended up running over THREE of his chute cords!

He actually went through the traps partially backwards with a speed (slowed by the chute) of around 132 and change....

When we went into Tech for spin check, they said "only one record per day!"

Uh, noooo, guys, this is a "spin tech"...

You SPUN? Really?

Like coming through the tech for a record was the normal M.O. for the car (which it kinda was at that time...LOL :D )

So it wasn't me, but I was driving the recovery truck to go pick up Andy who DID spin at just over 140...

Guest 2slo4u

I've taken my previous 83zx turbo 5 speed, stock except for aftermarket struts, springs, and urethane bushings, up to 141-142 mph with GPS. My current 81zxturbo with automatic has been up to 123mph probably could've made it to 125 but I had just got the car and was afraid of it falling apart. :lol:

81zxturbo

95slobaru impreza

at Bonneville one year, there was a red pontiac trans am that blew out his T-Tops at over 280mph, and went into a flat spin.

Talk about the "brown shorts driving club"!

I don't like T-tops. They scare me... Can you imagine having TWO 1/2" metalstraps holding your T-Top on, and STILL loosing it. I wonder: "Did his ears pop?" There HAD to be decompression when it flew off.

I know that ears popping in other sphincters puckering may be a sympathetic response and occur simeltaneously, but in many cases puckerage does not stop...uh.... well you know. :oops:

I was running the 130 speedo and I got my car to 5500 in fifth, on a stock T5 and 3.70 gears and stock tire heigth. I figured it was around 145 or so. The car strill gets light on the steering at that speed, so there is still some work needed in that area to keep the front on the pavement. Ok I just did the calculator deal at http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/ and it indicated I was doing 152mph @5500 rpm

So I was running 205 X60 X15 tires, 3.70 gears, and a .750 overdrive in the T5

No wonder it seemed a little light LOL. :D

Hey now the an honest figure, That was on a nice flat straight I-70 highway run with only the occasional car. This was a hit 6500 and let it wind up. Nice cool moisture rich night air helps to. Sorry if it seemed that I implied that I was able to stomp on the gas and in 12 seconds be pushing my car at those revs in bumper to bumper traffic with desert heat.... :lol:

I need to eat some crow, I went out and took a look at the tach of a 81 zxt and I was speaking out of my butt again :oops: the figure is 6800. So rest easy now you know it alls :wink:

7500, then 7800, now it's 6500...

Well, nice cool night air in Indianapolis is where I need to be with my Land Speed Car for running a record, because, dude, you have the ONLY stock car that will run those numbers...

Please, stop while you're ahead :roll:

Guest Cronic

My Z is mostly stock, IC, raised boost, exhaust, extra injectors...

Hits 130+ very quickly, About 10 seconds from 40mph? (Guess) After 130... who knows, because I've burried the speedo, the numbers stop at 130. :D