HybridZ

3:31 r200 lsd

zgeezer

I've searched and read several threads re: swapping '88 or so 300sxt lsd into 240Z. There is some commentary that it would be possible to swap the 88 lsd into an earlier R200 case provided the bolt holes on the lsd unit are shimmed. Has anyone actually done it? If so, what was actually required. As you may guess I have both an '88 300sxt diferential and an R200 3:31 and I would like to marry them for the road. :lol: Any help?

gw

This topic has nothing to do with brakes, wheels, suspension, or chassis. It belongs in the Drivetrain forum. As for your question, I'm doing that right now. You can see what is involved in the Drivetrain forum under the topic How do I install a LSD carrier into a open differential.

I don't think Nissan ever made a 3.31 R200. Look here to see what you may have:

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20595&highlight=

!M!

I was talking with Craig Taylor of Taylor Racing and he indicated that an LSD R200 can accept any standard Nissan ring & pinion gear. IE - find an 87-89 R200 LSD and swap the 3.70 ring & pinion out for a 3.36 ring & pinion either from another R200 or new from Nissan. I swapped a 3.90:1 pegleg R200 out for an '88 3.70:1 R200 LSD on my '77. The housing covers are significantly different so I don't think you could fit the LSD into a standard R200 housing 7 cover.

Phantom:

I grabbed an 87 turbo 300ZX diff and just stuck the cover from a 79 280ZX on there and plopped it in. The yoke from the 79 fits as well. The diff cover on the 300 has greater capacity and cooling fins, but all bolt holes are the same and the carrier does not interfere with the earlier cover.

The gears are not all interchangeable, at least not "plug and play" because the later gears have 12mm ring gear bolts and the earlier (pre 85???) have 10mm ring gear bolts. In order to make this work you need a 12mm OD 10mm ID spacer to fit into the carrier, or a shouldered 12mm shaft ring gear bolt with 10mm threads.

Wasn't Ross C working on that???

Jon

I stand corrected on the covers. Good news. The correct size 3.36 gears can be had for the LSD although all are interchangable. I have already discussed the possibility of this but I just haven't convinced myself of the need or the value for my particular application.