HybridZ

What paint to use on suspension components?

Guest tom sixbey

I used aerosol hammerite (smooth finish) on my strut tubes. I used the brush on stuff for my control arms and front X-member (to make it thicker). Goes on real nice and dries smooth and shiny, and 'hammer tough'

Tim

Guest tom sixbey

hey tim, - i've got some por15 that i plan to use on the areas that are surface rusted, and then i intend to paint over it with this chassis paint i got from eastwood today... - hey zcarnut, - i had planned to powdercoat like you said, but then the money ran out!!!! - better luck next time i hope!

I have POR-15'ed ALL my suspension parts, except the differential and the coil overs. The latter is powdercoated and anodized(depending on the part)and I haven't seen a chip, scratch or scuff in any of the POR-15, but I have chips in the coil springs, which are powder coated. I plan to do more powder coating, but not anywhere rocks can get to it. Not nearly are tough as I was expecting it to be. Is the powder coating on coil springs softer, to flex with the spring?

For something different an acrylic etch primer by itself is working for me and mine. The theory was that as it wouldn't be exposed to direct light it would not degrade. And having a thin coating would reduce chipping due to stones etc impacting, plus of course an etch primer sticks like s**t to a blanket. Has to be sprayed on of course but it dries quickly. The matt finish looks good too.

I've been to paint shops all over the Portland area that carry Hammerite. None of them stock the smooth finish.

Tim: I know you are in the LA area, but where did you find smooth finish? Any national chains carrying it?