HybridZ

Is this a good swap idea?

BRAD D

I’m inching to do another swap. Now that the RB26 is running in my 240Z I feel the need to do some thing crazy again.

This is what I have in mind… My brother has a 1971 Toyota Celica that is ready for paint, solid, shaved marker lights, straight and primed read to be sprayed. But now that he has a 350Z he dose not pay much attention to it any more. The old 4cyl is puffing blue so I was thinking of swapping in a Toyota V6 from a Tacoma or from other truck. I would like to stay with a Toyota power train and I would like a V6 not a turbo/high output 4cly.

I know it is not a datsun but what do you think?

Here is what a 71 Celica looks like ( looks like a mini Cuda I think)

erwindmuhammad01.jpg

The aussies love to put in The 1ggte in them. 2.0 lt twin turbo straight six. It fits. What engine is in there now 2t/3t or 18r. If its the 18r any engine will fell like a emprovement. Keep in mind that these cars are similar in weight to the early 240z so if you want it fast you will still need 250 hp. The 4.0 lt lexas motor is starting to sell very cheep here used. I was told of them selling for $400 nzd by some of the jet boat boys the other day. I kind of changed my mind about them when i saw one crap all over the sbc jet boat i was in.

Douglas

The aussies love to put in The 1ggte in them. 2.0 lt twin turbo straight six. It fits. What engine is in there now 2t/3t or 18r. If its the 18r any engine will fell like a emprovement. sorry just noticed the photo. 18rg, thaose must be pretty rare in the states. 140hp stock. Keep in mind that these cars are similar in weight to the early 240z so if you want it fast you will still need 250 hp. The 4.0 lt lexas motor is starting to sell very cheep here used. I was told of them selling for $400 nzd by some of the jet boat boys the other day. I kind of changed my mind about them when i saw one crap all over the sbc jet boat i was in.

Douglas

:shock: A GN swap... I wonder what that thing would do in the hands of ScottieGNZ with all his mods.

Well this will give me some thing to do. I dont know if or what I will swap in. The V6 seems to fit nice.

How much power do you think a toyota 3.4L V6 could handle? Boost that is :twisted:

Toyota motors seem to be able to handle 75% more power than they come with stock. 190hp X1.75 =332HP.... That would be fun.

what about the tacoma's very large 4 cylinder?

the 2.7..... ive heard of some ppl turbo'ing them and were very happy with the speed in a heavy as hell truck!

porb would fit great and would have left over space for all the goodies.

mike

Its called the 4A-GTE. its not a production engine its a hybrid within itself. To build it you get a 4A-GZE from a supercharged mr2 or a late 80's early 90's corolla in japan and turbo it. This is a really good swap I think. The ealy version of the GZE had 8.0:1 compression, steel crank, and forged pistons. The later version had 8.9:1 compression and same bottom end, but it also had piston oilers. It is a very stong motor and can handle alot of boost. Plus all you would have to do is take off the supercharger, get an exhaust manifold, and replace the intake manifold with a normal 4A-GE one. Anoth swap you might want to consider is the 4A-GE 20v swap. 5 valves per cylinder and individual throttle bodies. This motor screams. The is an inporter here in Sacramento that sells the later model 4A-GZE motors with 175 hp for $1000 + shipping, and it is a full front cut from a corolla in japan. They also sell the 4A-GE 20v for $600, and that is everything you need for a swap including wire harness and ECU. Edit: Sorry forgot to post a link to the inporters site...here it is. http://www.venus-auto.com

i love those cars. i have owned 4 of those in my past all 74's. another option i was looking at when i had mine was an 18RGU which, if memory serves, is a twin cam version of the engine that is in the car now. i had a buddy that put one in a TR7 with a small turbo and water injection that could blow the doors off anything we came across in 1987 when he had it running. :D