HybridZ

RB25DETT

Guest H-TownSupraRacer

Guest H-TownSupraRacer

Hello all. I was planning to get a Chevy 350 small block but that didnt work so now I'm thinking of putting a RB25DETT. Well I'm only 16 so my dad is a big part in my decisions when it comes to money. My dad doesn't know what a Skyline is so he thinks that the engine is not worth the money. Well what I wanna know is do you guys think that $4500 is a good deal for everything I need to get my car to work including struts, suspension, ECU, etc.(This is including installation) basically besides the frame and body the front end of my car will be a Skyline. Hope I get good news.

Guest H-TownSupraRacer

Its RB25DET sorry bout the extra T. I found a RB25DET engine,6 speed tranny,suspension,ECU,etc. for $3500 and the engine has like 5k miles on it. The guy whos installing it said he can do it for $1000. He said after I buy all this stuff i wont have to buy anything else except for a new driveshaft. Is that true? I seriously thing theres more to it then that I hope hes right. I know it would be smarter to get the brakes and stuff but thats not a must.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry you cant do what your saying for that much money.

i have over 4 grand in my motor and its pretty basic (kinda) and its still a L28.. my suspension cost me over 4 grand...

so sorry man.

mike

sorry you cant do what your saying for that much money.

i have over 4 grand in my motor and its pretty basic (kinda) and its still a L28.. my suspension cost me over 4 grand...

so sorry man.

mike

Hey Mike, you are sounding more and more like an experienced veteran everyday! :lol: 8)

• 1 month later...
Its RB25DET sorry bout the extra T. I found a RB25DET engine,6 speed tranny,suspension,ECU,etc. for $3500 and the engine has like 5k miles on it. The guy whos installing it said he can do it for $1000. He said after I buy all this stuff i wont have to buy anything else except for a new driveshaft. Is that true? I seriously thing theres more to it then that I hope hes right. I know it would be smarter to get the brakes and stuff but thats not a must.

6 Speed???? install for 1000? your gonna need an intercooler custom piping, custom exhaust... if you plan on using the ecu ....lots of custom wiring. engine mounts, tranny mounts, custom drivshaft.

5k on the motor? where did he get it from? sounds like BS to me. I dont think you could install everything for 1000 even if you did it yourself. I would be careful if you deal with this guy. If he is telling you 1000 for everything he dosnt know what he is getting into and you may bit it in the end.

stony

• 2 months later...

the rb25 will bolt in like the rb26 but the intake over the top will not clear the hood. you will need some sort of aftermarket or custom intake manifold. They are usually around 1000 bucks if you can find one used. Once you get the manifold you will need a throttle body. By the time you get what you need your damn close to the price of the rb26. In my humble opinion go rb26 or nothing at all. the power potential in the long run far outweighs any of the other engines. Unless of course you never plan on doing any upgrades. and want modest gains over the L motor

The rb26's I've seen were with cut harness and/or no ecu. Would it be possible to use my TEC2 off my L6 to run the rb ?

I see what your saying about going the best to start with. If I would have done that in the begining with my L6 build, I'd have the money to buy a rb26 ... :D

I've always done things the long and hard way, so I'll take your advice.

If you were to be looking which engine to do a swap again, and had your pick of the 2JGTE or the RB26, would you still go RB? Would it be less fabricating to do the RB than the 2JGTE?

Also, what do you think of the auto trans that came on the 2JGTE? The units going on ebay are mostly auto.

thanks once again for your input

joel

I like em all, RB26 is a monster for sure.

Im leaning towards rb25, simply because I can get them for about as much as an s14 front clip since there is so many of them in jdm market.

Next month an rb26dett with rb25 trans in a rwd skyline is coming to my buddies shop, and Ill be checking that out shortly. rb26 is the sh#@

well the rb has the zr mounts going for it where you can use the stock driveshaft. If you use the 2jz you will have to make everything from scratch. If i were in the states and wanted big power i would go with the GN motor with an auto. 2nd would be a 2jz because its starting to catch on pretty good in the US. The only reason i did the rb was becasue i was in japan and plan on going back.

• 5 years later...
these swaps sounds like a headache, just the thought of "fabrication" is stressing me out

Wow, that's an old thread if Joel is asking questions. :-)

A serious swap like the RB is definitely for guys who have had more than their share of cars and seen quite a few things. Other than the cost and technical requirements, hybrid cars require a good deal of patience. When I was running a speed shop, I saw plenty of kids getting their first real car to modify (I usually dealt with Evo's, STi's, Supra's, etc). I always enjoyed explaining a lot of things about modding cars, but one thing they all had in common was a lack of patience. A hybrid car like the RB/S30 takes most people a few years to get up and running properly and more years to do the rest of the car. A lot of kids won't have the patience, expertise or money to accomplish that.

Heck, I have had lots of heavily modified cars and I only just really got the patience to do one at 33. :rolleyes:

well the rb has the zr mounts going for it where you can use the stock driveshaft. If you use the 2jz you will have to make everything from scratch. If i were in the states and wanted big power i would go with the GN motor with an auto. 2nd would be a 2jz because its starting to catch on pretty good in the US. The only reason i did the rb was becasue i was in japan and plan on going back.

Wow 7 years ago. haven't gotten back but still trying ;> still have the RB