HybridZ

Brake Conversion Opinions

I am planning to do a front 4-piston Toyota 4x4 caliper swap with new rotors and all of the works as well as rear 240sx disc brake swap and the whole nine yards. My question is to those that have done those swaps how much did the braking ability improved, and what other benefits have you noticed? Any problems etc. Basically tell me are you happy with the upgrade or not and why.

Thank you for your input

NATHAN!!! Did you use the 280zx caliper brackets for the calipers and how did everything line up for you??? I have all the parts mentioned in another post but no mention anywhere about the caliper brackets needed. Also did the caliper line up or were spacers needed?? THANKS in advance!!!!!

The Porterfield pads I use racing I also use on the street, but I don't drive the car much, and they squeak a bit. Porterfield also makes a softer pad for the street, but so far the race pads are OK. don't know about wear - the only wear they get is on the track really.

I used the whole 280ZX caliper and bracket. The OD of the brake disc was turned down 1/4", and the caliper bracket mounted to the other side of the ears on the strut (the non-machined side). The strut ears had to have the threads drilled out, as the 280ZX calipers are threaded. In order to get the calipers to line up, I used 240Z front hubs, and about 1/8" stack of washers to center the caliper on the rotor. I was a little leery of doing all this ghetto modding, but they have worked flawlessly for 3 years now. Also, I was parting out a Porsche 911 for a friend, and I removed the front calipers (Wilwoods) to discover they were mounted in much the same way.

Thanks for all the help guys!!! The pics and info are mUCHLY appreciated.....Sorry but I gots no skillzzz on posting photos but you can put them in your Z album not???

The Toyota front conversion is OK, depending on what you want from your brakes. If you want really outstanding brakes and don't mind spending more money, consider an upgrade using four spot aluminium calipers and around 290mm (11.5"), or bigger, diameter ventilated rotors. Better to think about it now than later on after you have spent money on the Toy conversion.

Keep in mind that tires are always the limiting factor in stopping distance. The stickier the tire, the faster you will stop. Brake upgrades only improve the "feel" of the brakes, durability, and fade resistance. Big $$ can be better spent on tires and wheels if you really want to stop quicker. For little money, high temp fluid, Hi-Perf pads, and ss lines go along way toward eliminating fade and providing a firm pedal.

Are Carbon/Kevlar brake pads usable in the street application or are they only for racing. Also what is the wear rate on those.

thank you for your posts

The only pad I can recommend 100% are the Porterfield R4S pads. I ran them on my built 510 w/ 280ZX brakes and was always impressed with them. I ran went with the street compound and never had them make noise, work very well when cold (which is good for auto-x or living in cold places), and very rotor friendly. Even on track days, I couldn't get the brakes to fade and I am considered a master "late-braker" going by people under braking. It's the best $79 (per set) I ever spent and made the biggest difference in braking. Hope that helps.

Oh, my sets usually lasted 2-3 years with daily driving, including 8-10 autocrosses, 2-3 hillclimbs, and a couple track days a year.!! Obviously, a 2200 lbs 510 won't use ZX brakes as quickly as a heavier Z, but I ran 2 sets on the same rotors because they looked so good.