HybridZ

R200 for a turbo Z car

mrcheeze36

I am looking to change the rear end to an R200 but I am unsure of what to get. I will be doing a L28et swap in a 70' 240z and I was just wondering which would be the best choice for a turbo car.

Here is what I've found:

- I see a lot of people use the 87-89 300zxt 3.7 lsd R200

- the 79 280zx MT, 5 spd, 4 seater has a R200 3.7

- I have heard or some people using a 3.9 with their turbo Zs.

- On http://www.zparts.com, under the parts list for drivetrain, there is a side note stating "R200 units with 3:36 gears are highly desired by owners of V8 and Turbo charged Z cars with lots of torque that desire high end speeds. Very Rare and hard to find."

I will most likely be putting in a Quaife differential in it, and my car will be a daily driver. Which would be my best choice :?:

Guest HBskinheadZ

I have an r200 w/3.54 i will not need because I bought another diff this weekend. I also have the half shafts with new boots and 4 nissan u-joints for them call me if your interested, I pm'd you with my #. Matt

Guest kenafein240

The 3.54 is a good choice for the same reason you mentioned the 3.36. You will have a nice top end and good freeway cruising, without going to the extreme of having a 3.36.

I run a welded 3.90 with my L28ET and a 3.70 LSD with my 7MGTE. I like em both. If you are going turbo you should get something other than an open diff. Also 70'-71' had the diff further forward. The rear bracket that mounts the control arms is straight. You will need to get one from a a later modle that has the rearward curve or the R200 will not fit.

as far as i have been able to surmise the only car the R200 3.36 diff came on is the

280ZX 79 MT 4 sp. 2+2 (3.364) (R200). i have heard rumors that it also came on some 260Z 74 MT 4 sp. 2+2 (3.364) (R200) but i am not convinced yet.

as far as i have been able to surmise the only car the R200 3.36 diff came on is the

280ZX 79 MT 4 sp. 2+2 (3.364) (R200). i have heard rumors that it also came on some 260Z 74 MT 4 sp. 2+2 (3.364) (R200) but i am not convinced yet.

It is not a rumor, 260 2+2's do have an R200 3.36. I have one that I pulled from one.

Guest kenafein240

Good luck finding the 3.7 LSD, they are nearly impossible to find, but not impossible. Or people sell them for insane amounts of money. If one doesnt fall into my lap I'm just going to add a quaife unit into my 3.54 when I do have the funds.

The 3.36 is attractive for those folks who have high-torque engines but don't have overdrive transmissions. This scenario is relatively common, as the transmissions that can reliably handle prodigious amounts of torque tend to not have an overdrive top gear; for example, the Powerglide (automatic), Doug Nash and Muncie M-22 (manual). I would love to find a 3.36 - or even better, the mythical 3.15 - but despite years of regular searching in Los Angeles-area pick-a-part yards, I never did come across a 1979 2+2 ZX. Though somewhere I heard that aftermarket suppliers are selling 3.36's in the $1K range.

They make the components that will fit into the gear carrier of the R200 diffs

I have an email address - limitedslip@hotmail.com.

Ask for Carlton.

You will probably want to take out the gear carrier and remove the big crown gear. This will save on shipping costs. They will install the LSD component into your gear carrier and send it back. Then you can reinstall the crown gear and then install this assembly back into the housing.

Its not all that difficult.

Nice thing is it opens up the choices of ratios that you can use.

Hi Guys,

Ive been offline for a loooooong time and everything here has changed so bear with me :)

Ive a turbo'd L28 and I run an R200 3.54:1 LSD

.. .I got an open 3.54 R200 and had the clutch pack centre from a slippery 4.11:1 R200 fitted by a diff guy. There were no special extra bits needed and its been going like a champion for 2 years now.

Cheers - Simon