HybridZ

CALLING ALL GURU AND MASTER Z'S suspension mod advice please

I want to know what the smartest and most cost effective suspension set up would be for me. I have a 74 260z with totally stock suspension. I want to lower an inch or two, keep a relatively smooth ride while tightening it up. I am running stock steel wheels. I am planning on getting 16 inch in future. I dont want to flare and I want to put wider tires and wheels on. I would like to have ride height adjustable. I also want to keep it as cheap as possible. I know this is a lot to ask, but you guys are the ones to engage this request. My engine is satisfying and the body is clean. Give me your best. Thanks.

Jim 8) :oops:

The most cost effective solution is lowering springs with good quality struts. The cheapest I've seen is here at $405. That solution doesn't give you ride height adjustability or allow you to run the widest wheel possible. For that you will need to go with coil overs and Ross at Modern Motorsports can hook you up with everything tou need. You can check out his site here.

That is a very good price considering that you can easily pay that for the Illuminas alone and the springs go for around $200. I just bought a set of new in box Illuminas off another HybridZ member for $400 so if you add the springs I would be around $600. I don't think you will find a better deal.

I don't have any idea what the rate on those springs are. That information seems to always be hard to find. Anybody else out there know? They will certainly be stiffer than stock but that is the reason to get a quality strut that can properly dampen the stiffer springs.

If this is a street car that will not see autox or track time then I don't see the need for adjustable struts. He's got the springs and Tokico blues listed with free shipping so all in you would only be $405 with the "Buy it Now" option. The adjustable ones list a $55 shipping and handling charge so make sure and tack that on to the auction price.

Those spring rates aren't bad, but why progressives in front and not in back???

I suppose it would work, but I wouldn't want to be in a bumpy turn at 100 mph with those springs...

I am anti-progressive spring, because it just means you will have more body roll until you get to the "real" spring rate. If you are serious about the track, you don't want that. For a street driver they might be more comfortable.

I'll be interested to see what others say...

Jon

I got spring rates' date=' 140 progressive fronts and 160 linear rear. I dont know about spring rates, how do those sound to you? I want to get it on the track next season. I keep saying that every year, but I am real close now.

550 shipped$ sounds ok huh?

Jim :roll:[/quote']

For track use those spring rates are too low IMHO and, as Jon indicates, they all should be linear.

I want this car to ride more for street , but with a track capability of some respect...so do these spring rates seem acceptable? I just hope these springs dont raise my car much. Thanks for all the great advice...much appreciated and any more comments and advice/info is appreciated. I wish there were more Coloradoins here. No offense to Cali but it would be nice to physically point things out and test in reality. :D

I wouldn't buy that kit myself. I would be uncomfortable with progressives on one end of the car and linear on the other. It would be very difficult to tune the suspension because the behavior would be unpredictable. Run progressives or linear all the way around, don't mix and match.

:roll: Is 500.00 a decent price for new illuminas and springs? :?:

All depends on what you want/will be happy with? I've had most every type of non-coilover spring turned over to me from customers that didn't like them and went to coilovers. MSA, Tokico etc, still in a box somewhere tucked away. Nothing wrong with their springs, I'm sure they suit some folks purposes but they are NOT very stiff to provide nice tight control for those wanting tight handling. Those that say they are have not experienced tighter IMO. They're soft and often too low for their spring rate for safe/adequate strut travel.

For coilovers rates have been discussed many times on this forum. For street/some track 150-225 for fronts depending on your other choices (brakes/struts/speeds you'll see/tires etc) and similarly or higher for rears depending on entire setup.

Perhaps it's your personal email I have waiting which I'll respond to tonight or tomorrow.

If they can't tell you the spring rates then it's likely not purposebuilt enough for yourself. You ask about Illumina's vs. HP's as well. IF you have the $ Illumina's are VERY nice. I know of many various builds that enjoy them:

-all stock car with Illumina's, he's comfortable on 1 or 2 around town basically like a stock car......at annual motorsports events he's having a lot more handling fun on 4 or 5 on his struts.....sort'of a bandaid for fun with otherwise stock parts.

-performance/street/track cars...1, 2 or 3 for fun street and 3,4 or 5 for much tighter higher speed mountainous trips or road course events etc....very nice options to have

-or you're typically sitting somewhat low which is fine but your 400lb brother in law needs a ride to the airport (or a loaded long trip)and you don't want to bottom out your struts.....bump to '5' and this will help greatly:)

-non-adjustable HP"s are good, but Illumina's are truly appreciated if it doesn't break your bank

FWIW, my strut prices are very competitive especially since I'm no discount warehouse etc. My coilover kits have some custom parts custom made for Z's only for increased strut travel, an easier install and a tidier final product.

Good luck and enjoy your Z!

So can you let me know what it would run me for an entire coil over set up? Shocks and all other hardware needed? Thanks for the info.

Jim :b_hand:

Jim' date=' it's all listed under my webshop noted in my sig file above and below. You can select your coilovers, and preferred struts, and check out easily with the friendly webshop system in place.

Any other q's email me directly as I've been unable to frequent the web regularly as my Z/computer time is typically spent directly dealing with customers projects.[/url']

The ultimate suspension, as far as I can think of outside of special order would be this

280Z tubes

240Z hubs

Koni short strokes offered by ross

250lb springs all around

4x4 front brakes with vented rotors with porterfield R4S pads

240sx rear brakes with endles NA-D pads

that'd be bomb