HybridZ

240Z + l28et + T5 + R200 = $?

Guest EnthuZiast

Guest EnthuZiast

I am interested in taking a rolling 240Z without an engine and transplanting a l28et into her. I think I would like to go with a T5 transmission as well as an R200 rear end. I do not have the tools or the experience to pull something like this off so what I'm wondering is what would the costs of having something like this done be? I imagine that I could get a decent rolling chassis for around $500-$1000 and an l28et for $500-$1000. A T5 tranny could be in the neighborhood of $500 or so. I figure an R200 would come in around or below $500, but that is not a huge priority for me. My main question is how much would it cost for me to get a mechanic to do this work for me? Also, let me know if these numbers sound right to you guys. Believe me, I would love to do this myself, I just don't feel like getting in over my head like I usually do.

Thanks for the input,

EnthuZiast

Guest EnthuZiast

Maybe I just don't know how to use the search function properly, but I searched for threads by Bastaard525 and came up with nothing everytime. I get the impression that he had a bad experience with the whole process. What would you recommend I do to pull something like this off?

Maybe I just don't know how to use the search function properly, but I searched for threads by Bastaard525 and came up with nothing everytime. I get the impression that he had a bad experience with the whole process. What would you recommend I do to pull something like this off?

Not "Bastaard525", it's "Bastaad525".

Guest EnthuZiast

Yeah, I just figured that out. But I still didn't find what I was looking for. Maybe someone could just share their experiences with me. This is something that I would love to do. And I would do it today if I had my own garage.

I currently know basically nothing about auto mechanics but I am building a car and have done a good bit of auto work in the past. If you don't have to rebuild or repair, just transplant the driveline find a knowledgable friend and attempt it yourself, you have to start somewhere. My strategy is always just to read very carefully and to take things slow, sure it takes me about 20 times longer than it would a mechanic but you have to learn somehow. Think about it, if you get an engine that doesn't need rebuilding its just some wiring, plumbing and bolts, not complicated if you don't rush it. And if you get stuck this site is here to back you up, thats the point of it. I have found that working on old cars is a *^&$#, bolts are stuck, rusted etc but doing the work yourself just somehow makes the car feel more like its yours.

Guest EnthuZiast

I hear ya, man. I agree with you about all of that. The thing is, I don't have the friend and all I've got is a set of wrenches. Granted, I can and will buy what I need, but when I work on my 280ZX, I always feel like I need an air gun just to get the bolts loose and I definately don't have one. Also, I don't have a tranny jack or an engine hoist. And I don't have a physical garage. I do have a driveway. Someday I would like to have a garage of my own, but for now I have to make due with what I don't have. That is the reason that I've posed this whole question.

I put all those upgrades in my Z without any tools but a jack and stands, wrenches and a drill and vise. I still don't have any power tools, and only recently bought an engine hoist. Don't be afraid to do it yourself - the reason Bastaad's posts were pointed out is he had some bad experiences with paying a professional to do his installs.

And by the way, the prices you are estimately are way high in my book. You won't find the pieces right away, but I got my engine for $150, 2 T5 trannies for $70 and $50 each...rear ends are cheap too, I've picked up many R200s for $50 and less.

Guest EnthuZiast

Wow, sounds like you found some good deals. Thanks for sharing your experience, SleeperZ. As I have said, I would love nothing more than to do this myself, I just dont want to get myself in over my head. Did you run into any problems doing your conversion?

Thanks a lot guys,

EnthuZiast

I think Tim had a point that has been overlooked. These cars should be owned by tinkers. If you don't like to work on your car A LOT, and you don't know much about mechanics and don't have any tools, then IMO you're setting yourself up for trouble.

I have a friend who has had 5 Z's to date, and 2 currently (including #472 which she is listing on ebay next week I think). She is a little mechanically inclined, but I wouldn't let her work on my Z. :wink: She can change her oil and adjust the valves, and knows where and how to change diff and tranny fluid. She even changed a halfshaft recently. BUT, it seems like every two weeks she calls: "My Z is running rough. How to I adjust the idle? How do I synch the carbs? It's making this noise. It's leaking oil." Etc, etc.

When I lived in CA, I'd just have her bring it over. Now that I'm in WA, she's spending $$$ at shops trying to get just the trivial stuff taken care of. If you have to pay a shop, and especially if its a hybrid with none of the stock wiring left, these things will nickel and dime you to death, unless you find a Z specific mechanic who is familiar with what you are doing and preferably has done it before.

My $.02,

Jon

I agree with fl327. When I did my swap, I just bought a rusted out zxt with a good motor/trans. That way I had all everything I would need(ecu, fuel pump relay, efi relay, etc.)

I got the car for like $500 and then started parting out the rest of the car like t-tops, interior,etc. Which reminds me I still have a really good zxt dash, anyone interested? :D

Garrett

Guest EnthuZiast

Well the one thing that may be a problem for getting a donor car and a rolling 240 for that matter would be that I'm all the way up in Montana. I would at least rent a trailer if i could tow one w/ a car on it. But I suppose I could figure something out. The thing that is my biggest concern would be what I have been saying: I don't want to get myself in over my head. I suppose that I will continue scouring HybridZ for discussion on this swap as well as the whole internet. I feel like a good solid writeup would be a good place for me to begin. If anyone comes across a good writeup, please post a link.

Thanks for the feedback all you gurus.

EnthuZiast

Guest EnthuZiast

Sounds like fun!

Would someone like to enlighten me on what exactly it is like to wire up a l28et in a early Z? Am I kidding my self to think that I could extract the engine and keep everything (more or less) connected then just drill a firewall hole bolt on the ecu and wire up the fuel pump? Also, how difficult is it to replace the 240 gas tank w/ a 75/76 gas tank?

Thanks,

EnthuZiast