HybridZ

So, guys, I seek input 13b-re tt vs. the 350

auxilary

Well, prepping for the 13b rotary swap to start in 2 weeks, my friend and I sat down to run through all possible numbers for the rotary swap. Not counting the cost of the motor, it would be 4k to do the swap, intake to exhaust tip with aftermarket engine management and fuel cell. 5k if I was to upgrade to a t04b turbo and injectors. If I just drop the stock motor with stock wiring harness and ECU, it'll be around 3.3k. Not to mention car downtime would be about 5-6 months provided I work 3 out of 4 weekends a month on it.

At this point, the cost factor is starting to bother me, and I'm contemplating selling the motor and transmission (easy 2k, I will break even) and get an lt1/t56 or a separate purchases of a carbed 327/350, and a t56. the chevy swap is going to take a lot less time (I already have a JTR kit and manual, and there are plenty of buddies around who have done these to help out), and will be cheaper overall... and that feeling of pure torque....

In rotary's defense, the car will be 200lbs lighter, mid-engined, literally, and will definitely draw attention when the hood's open.... (stock 13b-re is "rated" at 230hp

voice yer opinions, what would you do?

hard call... i'm doing the sbc/t56 thing and so have a good no. of others. so my point as far as that is that you have the chance to do something that is very rare in our world. downtime is a consideration, trust me i know... my 260's been waiting for a year for me to make up my mind what i was doing much less how long the conversion itself is going to take. i can relate... i REALLY want to drive my car!!! so my .02.... do the rotary. then come to new york so i can drive it. :wink: in the long run, you'll have something very few if even that many can say they have.

If you decide to do the LT1/T56 you should be able to do it in about half the time you estimated. I did it in a little over two months working every weekend on it. On the dollar side I seriously doubt the LT1 will cost you any less though. All those little things add up fast.

well, that 4k total wasn't including the cost of the motor or transmission (which I already have.) in fact, here's a basic break down, only things not listed are the autometer pyrometer, boost gauge, oil press. gauge. Otherwise, everything is listed as maximum price they would cost, so final cost could be a little cheaper. The LT1/T56 was quoted at 4k from rancho chevy with 42k miles, and ecu/harness, and that's higher than I expected, I can find cheaper LT1/t56 combos.

Fuel System

Aeromotive/Walbro Fuel pump $150.00

Fuel cell/mount box $250.00

fuel lines/fitting $100.00

injector cleaner $40.00

Exhaust / Misc

Muffler $150.00

Intercooler piping $150.00

Exhaust piping $100.00

Bulk steel for mounts/etc $100.00

Oil cooler with lines $100.00

Electrical

Electrical wiring $75.00

Microtech Fuel management $700.00

coils (junkyard 2nd gen) $25.00

Spark plug wires (magnecore 10mm) $65.00

Spark plugs $40.00

transmission components

act street/strip clutch/flywheel $325.00

clutch slave cylinder $50.00

Custom drive shaft $300.00

Speedometer gear / customer $90.00

Engine

Engine gaskets $150.00

Silicon vaccuum hoses $75.00

Intercooler $300.00

blow off valve $150.00

K&N cone filter $50.00

Boost controller $200.00

Misc construction (hoses, etc) $300.00

Total pain to my wallet $4,035.00

I'd go with the 13b, just because its rare, would get alot more attention once you open the hood (well, alot more strange looks anyhow). Plus, the weight savings are significant, and with these cars I think the rotary is closer to what they were designed to be from the beginning.

also, think about the long term costs. If you start pushing the envelope with the boosted 13b, a failure of an engine component is going to cost you a good bit more than a domestic 8 banger. Although, the rotary would be cool conversion. I say do it, just be a little different.

Tim

Guest 1975yellowBSPZ

I think you have to decide, what do you really want to do with the car and what do you want to get out of it. You really need to think wether the lt1 or the rotary fits what you want to do with the car. It doesn't matter whether or not its a unique swap or plain-jane. What is important is what you are looking to get out of the car, as you are the one who is going to be mated to it. I think you need to re-evaluate what your goals are with the project and see what fits those goals the best. It's your car, do what will fit your needs/wants in the long run.

Just my 2 cents-

Bryan W

-and I say go for the dodge cummins turbo :-D -

I would do it just to say i was one of the first to do it. I had a 89 FC3S and loved it. It was a ported motor with a t04S and it kicked ass. i did blow it 3 times but that is a rotary. If you keep the stock turbo on it and tune it right it will last just as long as a pistom motor. if you put a big turbo on it and tune it right it wont last as long as with the stock turbo but it will last a while. if you dont tune it right you will blow it first time it detonates... that is not an exageration. this goes for anyone tuning a rotary... if you are starting from srcatch with a motor tune do it on a dyno. If you lean knock its over.

anyways back to your question. yes do it. it will be a kickass car. i was actually very close to pulling the RB26 and doing the rotary. i just have too much money in this conversion to undo it for a rotary.

Ya I vote for the be different.

Be prepared to walk to a different beat though..its definiately a high road to take!

Are you going to be the chicken or the pig? (reference to my post in non tech forum..no insult intended)

I vote for something different. I would go with the 13btt. It would be something new and it has potential to be extremely fast, just dont pull up to the Black 280zt, hes a killa :evil:

I had a fc with a tt engine in it, and it kicked butt, 21psi apparently stock everything, and no plates!! I took down a Ls1 camaro in that car, think of what it would be like with 2400lb car!!!!

YOU ALREADY HAVE THE ENGINE

Well Alex, I figure you are already "different" as a person :wink: so be consistent, go for the 13B. You already have the motor and an audience waiting to see the outcome. So what if it's not as practical or cheap, what do either of those two have to do with a HybridZ?

You only live once, turbo rotary Z seems like a marriage made in heaven, and though like all marriage it will undoubtely cause some headaches, I think it will be well worth it.

So lets make it official:

Do you Z, take turbo rotary to be your lawfully wedded internal combustion beast for better and worse; YES

Do you turbo rotary, take Z to be your lawfully wedded chasis for better and worse: YES

yahoo, cheers :cheers: in the backgound.... Let the mating ritual begin :eek2:

P.S. I believe you now owe us a bachelor party.

damnit. i made the mistake of looking through the tpi/lt1 section of summit today. I just can't get the practicality of the lt1 out of my head, the ease and cost of parts, the fact that I can have the swap done in 2 months. damnit this is annoying!

my biggest fear is that if something breaks on the rotary (if?! hahahah) it'll be expensive and in some cases unavailable in the states (jdm motor)

I'll play the blacksheep here: do an LT1 (not TPI) with T56 motor/tranny combo and we can always turbocharge it in the future if you get 'tired' of it. Gobs of torque and power, even decent gas mileage in town, efi, gotta love it.

Davy

it's the re motor, not the rew... so it's more like an series 5 13b with twin turbo and bigger intake port runners. kind of like a series 5.5, not a 5 and not a 6. that's why i'm 50/50 on this vs. lt1 right now. i do have the motor, tranny, and misc right now

In the end, its not what it cost, its what you get from it.

I like the JDM engines, im just spoiled on L stuff, my clutch cost more than my donor car! Sorry just had to throw that in.

You know, they do make an adaptor for GM trans to rotary somewhere out there in import land, t56 rotary 4.88 r200 lsd, do it.

Sir Alex, your current second thoughts and anxiousness are well known to many married folks. It usually happens after being engaged and while getting ready for the wedding. What if it doesn't work, what if she changes and makes my life hell, there is this other girl who is much easier :wink: and so on.

You have the engine, the car and you previously announced the union to be to all, which was greeted with cheers. So, they are officially engaged, as such you need a better reason than than there are other engine (or girls out there), that will always be the case. Stand by your commitment (yes, yes, I know about the divorce rates, so don't bring that up as a response). LT1's are great, a turbo rotary Z will be great, unique and require more creative craftsmanship. I believe there is something special to that (the lt1 won't be nearly as special).

Your choice on what you want and if that means enough to warrant the extra work, potential headaches and time.

Ahh! the defining moments.

Guest Anonymous

go 13b ull get closer to a 505 weight dist. and it will be oodles more fun cause roteries have much much potential if i had the money i would be tuning a rotery rather then dropping in an sbc into my rx