HybridZ

supercharged l28 project

Guest 4.3L 280z

Guest 4.3L 280z

I've got a 4 barrel intake and carb on my z but was wondering if there was a way to put a supercharger on my arizona z car 4bbl intake? I don't want anyone telling me to put in a turbo. I want to be different and see what I can do with this.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
You should just go turbo. :wink:

Methinks that doesnt answer his question. I know I sure get annoyed when I ask a question and someone makes a suggestion of doing something else instead.

My suggestion would be to get a centrifugal supercharger and make your own mounts. I had thought of doing this with my L28 until I do my V8 swap, but hey, I thought of doing a lot of things :wink:

You can probably get an old SC from a thunderbird or something at the JY or dismantler. Pretty much everyone here is going to argue that turbos are cheaper and better but that is not always the case. Find a good deal on a SC and find a way to get it mounted and a lot of the turbo guys will be seeing your taillights.

I'm a die hard turbo fan through and through...but...the truth of the matter is that the world's fastest cars all use superchargers/blowers.

For awhile I owned a supercharged 2000 Chevy Blazer, I liked the V8 feel the supercharger gave it...power all the way across the rpm range. I've been into turbo'd Imports for years, but felt the supercharged V6 was easier to drive.

I agree with the above post 100%. The easiest way this is going to work for you is to get a centrifugal supercharger (such as a paxton or vortech) and make your own mount.

I may be completely wrong, but...if you don't have power-steering, I bet you could somehow modify a powersteering pump bracket or something like that to mount the supercharger to IF you have the room for it where the PS Pump would normally go (I have no idea since my Z is non P/S).

You're going to have to build a box around your carburetor, though to pressurize it. I believe if you try to pressurize just the inlet side of the carb it will leak or have other adverse effects.

Nic-Rebel450CA - i was kidding...that's what the :wink: (WINK) was for. Geez, can't even kid around on this board anymore! NR5P - i hope YOU realized i was joking and i also hope you figure out exactly the right infomation and configuration that will get you on your SC'd way. Good luck.

Guest 4.3L 280z

I never even thought of pressurizing the whole carb. Is this as effecient as putting it under the carb? Where can I find more info on doing this? This would be better for hood clearence issues or having to make a custom intake.

Guest 4.3L 280z

I noticed that carb and I've been doing some reading. three more questions

1. is my holley 390 going to be good enough

2. how do I modify my carb or where do i buy one. I've been reading about sealing them. I know a lot about working on engines but when it comes to carbs I don't have a lot of experience.

3. Lastly will I be able to find a centrugal sc for under $2000? I didn't realize until I started looking that those kind of superchargers where that expensive. If I could find one for around 1k then it wouldn't be a problem and I'd be happy to post the results.

Guest 4.3L 280z

So the only other thing I would need is a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and it would sense the pressure in the bonnet and increase fuel pressure right? Would my holley 7psi fuel pump be enough for 10 pounds of boost? Who think I can get 12s?

You don't want a rising rate FPR, especially on a blow through carb. You want constant fuel pressure relative to the intake manifold. And 12s aren't happening with a 390 cfm carb - that's what the n/a 4 barrel Z uses. There has been lots of people who say they want a supercharged L6 Z, but I don't know of anyone who's actually run one. You may want to see if you can.

Im going to jump into this post with a question about Superchargers, If someone (maybe me?) wanted to supercharge a stock 83 zx NA, what charger would be best for this? I saw a post that one of the members were selling a M80 Eaton charger on Ebay that came from a Jaguar xj6 I think. How prevelant are these chargers? also what books would be good to pickup and read about this subject.

A buddy of mine has been working on a M62 supercharged L28E for the past year and a half. He went overseas to work for a year so that's why it's taking so long. If someone knows how to post pix I can fire over a pic of the blower/engine setup on the stand. He's finishing up the brackets right now along with suspension and still deciding what's he gonna so for engine management. I'm thing stock turbo injectors and the z31 ecu would be fine for the 200 hp or so that it'll be making.

• 1 year later...

For a FI l28 I would go with an Eaton M62 off a Mercedes SLK230. It has a clutch like a air conditioner compressor. I would include a bypass around the supercharger. This way it could be turned off for normal cruising a Mad Max type of set up.

I am in the design, and buying the components for my 9 psi of boost carbed superchaged L28.

that m62 sounds interesting. I'm curious to see how it fit in there. Why carbs? They are easier to install, but more finicky to keep in tune.

I saw another way to seal the carb without sealing the entire carb, but it required better throttle shaft seals and just a top hat.

How do you deal with the airfuel mixture under boost with a carb, just by rejetting. If you run 9lb of boost can it keep up? Then if you bypass the supercharger will it run way rich?

On the draw through design there should be no real problem with the bypass. I have researched both set ups.

For draw through a 500 CFM carb is required @ 6000 rpm and 9 psi of boost. In this set up I was looking at using a 280 FI intake will all openings not needed plugged off. An intercooler is out of the question on this design due to the possibility of explosion due to a back fire. One problem here from my research is that the Teflon coating on the supercharger rotors will come off.

On the forced through I will have to go through the jetting and have to run the supercharger all of the time with no bypass. I have a set of triple 45mm SK Racing carbs that I bought. And this is the route that I am planning to go.

Here is a picture of a SK Carbs and turbo set up.

zengsk.jpg