HybridZ

Broken Tranny, too much power!

TimZ

this is actually 240Z Turbo making this post. I am in Detroit for a conference and now that the conference is over I am hanging out with TimZ for a few days. Well, the car is brutal fast and I had the pleasure of driving it. Got to race a Ford Focus at 1/4 throttle :roll: I will cut to the chase, V12 BMW wanted to race and Tim was driving. A downshift into 3rd gear and floored the car. BOOOOOM! Bye Bye 3rd gear :wink: Well, I guess that we now know the limits of the zx tranny!

Again, this is James posting. We pulled the tranny this morning and indeed the teeth were ripped off of 3rd gear. The software he devoped said roughly 450hp@wheels, but the torque was sure to exceed 500ft-lbs. The plan was to dyno the car today, but no dice at this point.

What the hell does that car eat.....

Third gears, apparently :shock: .

This is really TimZ this time - yes , it was only third gear that was gone, so we were able to limp home with the trans sounding like it was full of marbles. When we pulled it apart this morning, there we NO teeth left on third.

I was really bummed that we weren't able to do the dyno pulls, but I had already resigned myself to doing a trans upgrade, so that was just pulled forward a couple of months. I'm looking into a replacement T5 gearset that is supposed to be capable of sustaining 650hp - I have a Datsun T5 core, and will be comfirming whether this is viable very soon.

I was up against that wall myself for a good while. I did a TKO install on my car and that has worked out very well. I ran the car for about 30 miles and that tranny is very tight. The shift pattern is about 1/2-3/4" from nuteral to first and the shifter springs on the 2003 hurst mustang shifter are very strong. I dont think I will be missing third on a speed shift. So the TKO2 install turned out excellent and I maintained the stock bell housing and clutch assembly, throw out fork and all that neat stuff. I did have to machine a new throw out bearing slider and use of all things a Isuzu truck throw out bearing with the stock 240mm pressure plate. The added touch is in the driveline. I was able to incorporate the use of sloid 1310 spicer universal joints. So we will see how much abuse they can take, and I finished that up with a Quaife diff. Good setup.

The funny thing is that when I started in on my quest for a new tranny, Gforce had no option for the T5 so I had to come up with a custom design and setup. Now those suckers have just what I needed all along, go figure.

I would be interested in seeing just what they have to offer for the T5. The only option I found for the T5 was from a company in UK and it would only handle 450 foot pounds of torque. The gear set was the dog ear setup (lift and shift)

If you are interested in the TKO2 setup, give Keisler Automotive a call and talk to Shefi about doing the mods required to make it fit, and then get on my web page to see what else is involved for the complete install. I can give you drawings for the throwout bearing slider and the info for the bearing as well.

I really hope the Gforce option works out for you James, it sure would be alot easier to do then the TKO option I came up with. :D

Blah' date=' my third is holding up :D

Poly trans mount seems to help[/quote']

That's what I need! Where do you get that beastie?

BTW, Tim, how much power ARE you making to shred 3rd like that?[/quote

poly trans mount is avail through nissan motorsport.

pn 99996-1101g

BTW' date=' Tim, how much power ARE you making to shred 3rd like that?

[/quote']

I hate to throw out numbers without anything to back them up, but based on the acceleration rates compared with the old setup, I would guess that it's in the neighborhood of 450rwhp/490 lb ft.

I'll find out for sure as soon as I get the new trans in, provided it isn't snowing yet... :(