HybridZ

How Fast Can a Turbo Z Be?

zguy95135

i saw the article of SportZ with the black 280Z that they turboed with the stock motor. They said it did the low 13's when it wasnt even running right. how fast could a turboZ with a early 80's motor be with big turbo's, ECU, streetable boost, 3 in exhaust and pretty much everything else?

Guest bastaad525

dude look around... stock motors with mods like you describe are usually into 12's, I think there are a couple that have hit 11's. From everything I've read on here, a stock, turbo motor, with stock turbo, efi, boost up at around 10psi, in a light, early 240, will usually get mid 13's. That's with no intercooler, and again, bone stock efi.

i ran stock boost (read 7psi on autometer guage), no ic, stock dp, 3"dp and 60mm tb to 14.9@90 with 60fts in the 2.3 range at best on bald 215/60/15H BIG O TIRES. This is 75 280z. I ran the 14.9 my second try out there, after warping my flywheel on my first try (throttle stuck open, and powershifted into fifth to lug the car down, clutch wouldnt grab for anything after that.) I got the 14.9 with the warped flywheel, shifting into third at 4500. With traction and a clutch that grabbed I could see low 14 with 7psi, not bad at all, comparatively speaking, when my car stock was 17.1 in the quarter according to car and driver. Right now car runs high 13, low 14, with a minimal amount of mods to it, while driving it every day all day. I am not in a rush to get much more power out of it before I prep suspension/brakes and nice wheels with good rubber, right now I hate to admit it, but this squatty suspension gets real scary when the driveline in your car can go 60-100 stupid fast and maintain triple digits with the slightest of ease, but NOT be able to come down from it very fast, and almost go airborn off every bump...NOT GOOD. Ive basically stopped trying to make more power until I get the SPORTS CAR handling and braking my v8 setup used to have.

I would do a search, great things are possible from the turbo setup, tahts for sure.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I ask myself how fast a Z car can be on a stock suspension. My buddy ran 10.00 @ 139mph the other day on a VG30 transplant into a ZX.

i was curious because everyone with 11 or 10 sec times (at least those who post it) all had engine transplants from other cars. (ie skyline, 300ZX, grand national ect)

I know this will probably generate hurt feelings, but lets be honest here. Let's see a show of hands of all the Zs and ZXs in the 10s with an L28ET, regardless of setup.

i was curious because everyone with 11 or 10 sec times (at least those who post it) all had engine transplants from other cars. (ie skyline' date=' 300ZX, grand national ect)[/quote']

I know this will probably generate hurt feelings, but lets be honest here. Let's see a show of hands of all the Zs and ZXs in the 10s with an L28ET, regardless of setup.

what are you trying to say?

The amount of time/money required to take a L28 into the 10's would go farther with an engine swap. Nothing against the L28, I use it, but it has its limits with such small valves, ports, and non-crossflow head, just too many of the little things against it to make it practical for huge power. And IMO, if you want 10's in a street car you've gotta be practical or rich. Prefferably both.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Well for sure if you swap to a engine that has a DOHC or 4 valve per cylinder set up your gonna make about 100hp more than a engine without. But how much power does it take to run in the 10's? I personally think between 400-475hp will get you there if the car hooks. I think it can be done with a L28T and gonna do be best to get there with the next combination coming to my car. By the way my buddy with the 10 second VG30 280zx dynoed 504hp on pump gas to the wheels....add 100hp on the spray it runs easy into the 10's so I think we can break in just under those numbers. Well lets see how we can get it done. Good luck to us all.

Alex C

if i can get my car to do 12's on the street, 11's w/slicks on the track i'll be happy. besides the car isnt going to be just a drag racer, its gonna be a weekend autoX, drag race, track day car. I want to do road racing someday but im going to buy another Z or miata specifically for that. By the way if could get the times above, could i get 10's with 100 shot of NOS? (im not worried about blowing the welds on my intake :D )

i was curious because everyone with 11 or 10 sec times (at least those who post it) all had engine transplants from other cars. (ie skyline, 300ZX, grand national ect)

Nissan L28 with 9 of last 10 passes averaging mid 11s. BTW Scottie, plenty of folks with the L28 have the power to run 10's and 11's, we just don't have the capacity to cut the 1.4 60ft times as you do with your transbrake and slicks.

Nissan L28 with 9 of last 10 passes averaging mid 11s. BTW Scottie, plenty of folks with the L28 have the power to run 10's and 11's, we just don't have the capacity to cut the 1.4 60ft times as you do with your transbrake and slicks.

I know you have the HP to do it but until you have that little piece of paper........ So, whats holding you back? Fear? :D :D

i'm curious what timz can run with his z i know that thing is nuts it is definately the fastest thing i have ever ridden in,I'm sure he could hit 10's and is is streetable :)That car makes my car feel like a yugo and mine runs low 12's :D I know i say this alot but for those who don't know my car ran a 12.98@105mph with the stock turbo,stovk dp,volvo ic,370cc injs and stock clutch in a heavy 280 so it's not uncommon for a 240 to do good with less.Look at jersey he is just about turning my times and i have a bigger turbo and injs and a bit more done to mine than he does.The weight helps alot that's for sure i wanna put my z on a diet :wink:

I know you have the HP to do it but until you have that little piece of paper........ So, whats holding you back? Fear? :D :D

Does that piece of paper give you free drinks at the local bar? :? The only thing I fear is fear itself :x

Powerglide will be in the car by mid December, just finished the flexplate adapter today and will test fit the clearances this afternoon. Your rein of terror is soon to be over SCOTTIE :twisted: