HybridZ

T3/T4 wheel recommendations

JTabora

Can you guys describe what trim is? I'm getting into the turbo world and i'm planning to replace the stock turbo. I am hoping to do a T3/T4 Hybrid and know almost next to nothing about the turbos themselves, but know about the turbo system.

Currently I'm driving a 240Z with future upgrades CV Joints and R200 diff from a 280ZX Turbo (Where I got my motor)

I'm planning to reach the 300HP range with stock ECU...

My mods will plan to be...

Turbo ??? I'm thinking about Innovative turbos or the Blitz KKK Turbos.

Exhaust - striaght from the downpipe into 3" pipe all the way out back with no catalytic converter into Blitz Nur Spec Exhaust

Wastegate - External

Intercooler - Spearco

Injectors - ??? Not sure what I wanna do here...suggestions?

BOV - Blitz

I think thats it for now...My main concern is to learn more about the turbo itself. A/R Ratio? Trim? Little techincal things of that nature.

You've been a great help guys thanks.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm probably gonna go ahead with the stage 3 turbine and 60-1 compressor wheel. But other than the extra cfm what else can i benefit from the 60-1? Faster spool?..I found a place where i can buy a turbo for $525 with a stage 3 turbine .63 A/R and 60 trim. It'd be a 100.00 extra for the 60-1 wheel or 225.00 for a stage5 turbine. So if i can i'd like to save that extra 100.00. With the stuff i have mentioned above, you think it's worth it?

If you are going external wastegate and a t3/4 60-1 and it is $625, I would just go with a full T4 60-1 for $25 more. You won't regret it. There is more than enough motor to spool it. With what you listed you should have no problem making atleast 350+ rwhp when cranked up.

Hmm, a t4 is something to consider. How difficult is it to mod onto an L28 exhaust manifold?

not hard, i got an adapter for t3 to t4, it was weld on unit but what i did was drill it for t3 bolt spacing, and i need to get the holes countersunk on t4 side soon, and then you just slide it down on the studs and bolt the sucker on, think i might have to cut the bolts shorter to clear, but not bad at all.

the adapter also serves double purpose as a spacer to pull the compressor away from the exhaust manifold. i like it, even though it just sits on my work bench.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

JT, if your gonna play with a cam on that engine you will have much more exhaust flow adding the need for more exhaust turbine flow. A .63 housing is gonna be your weak spot along with the 550cc injectors. If you want to stay with this size injector I would lose the cam its over kill anyway for the 300-350hp you think you are going to be happy with. If you gotta have the cam I applaud you. Run a real large injector...something like a 72lb and buy this Stage V 60-1 .82 T3 that would make crazy power on your set up with little effort. I got two on my desk $695.00 all new Turbonetics.

Lol! 72lb injectors for 350hp! 550 cc injectors a weak spot? Give me a break - I run a safe 350hp right now with 370 cc injectors. I can see why "zcars" make your head hurt. ;)

I think the 0.63 a/r with a stage 5 turbine would do fine with your cam setup as well, and you should be able to build on that for 400-450 hp easily.

Well you know who made 417 +/- Hp to the wheels with the turbo I have, and 420cc injectors. Its only a 60 trim with a stage 5 turbine wheel.

He also did a backpressure test on it, and at 22 psi of boost he had 23 psi of back pressure. .63 AR housing. The .82 would probably add another 25 or so hp to the wheels, the offset is going to be time to get to boost. Personally I would stick with the .63.

If I was drag racing, then I would most certainly have the .82, and I would spray the heck out of it to get it into boost.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I'm getting dizzy over here....Jeff stepped up on his turbine side for a reason. I dont like a .63 on a car with a cam if there is a .82 available the system is going to flow alot better when the powerband kicks in. As for the injecotors, the 60-1 I have on my desk will make 600hp. I like to set up cars with a safe amount of injector in case the full potential of a combination would be tested. By the way 300hp+ can be made with a 55lb injector a TO4B easy, everyone knows that.

I'm getting dizzy over here....Jeff stepped up on his turbine side for a reason. I dont like a .63 on a car with a cam if there is a .82 available the system is going to flow alot better when the powerband kicks in. As for the injecotors, the 60-1 I have on my desk will make 600hp. I like to set up cars with a safe amount of injector in case the full potential of a combination would be tested. By the way 300hp+ can be made with a 55lb injector a TO4B easy, everyone knows that.

Well Alex, I was going on the assumption his power goals were somewhat more modest....

i'm looking at a t3/t04e, externally gated to go with SDS efi, 550cc injectors, NPR intercooler. camshaft with 270 dur .480 lift, 5 spd, 3 inch exhaust. goals are anywhere from 300-350