HybridZ

LSD + Drag Racing = Twisted Driveshaft

jgkurz

Now I know where this strange new vibration is coming from... :bonk:

At least I finally got into the 12's. Being the front u-joint, I'm glad it only bent instead of breaking.

By the way, this was relatively new driveshaft with the best Nissan u-joints I could fit.

bent1.jpg

bent2.jpg

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I havent seen something twisted like that since I made my Ex reeeally mad :?

BTW, as a note to all of use, if you score or mark a dashed straight line on your axles, you can easily check them from time to time with a strait-edge to see if there is even the slightest twisting. From what I have been told, once the axle starts to twist it basically gets exponentially worse.

I had the driveshaft length made with 3/4 inch end play. When I pulled the transmission yesterday it had 1/16 inch end play due to the bent flange.

I've been talking to several folks on this and I've come to the conclusion that the flange was made of poor quality not the u-joint. If anything should break first it should be the u-joint not the flange. The Nissan u-joint actually was the part that saved my car from serious damage. A lesser brand may have broke rather than just bending.

Anyone have a source where I could buy a new quality yoke/flange that will fit my 83 Nissan T-5?

More proof that drag racing and the IRS don't mix well! :?

That's crap unless it was meant to be a joke.

jgkurz, your mistake is running Nissan u-joints. Since you have a GM tranny, have a 3" diameter shaft made with the big Spicer u-joints and have them put the NEAPCO adaptor flange on the end of the shaft. That adapts the big Spicer joint to the R200 flange. I forgot the part# for the flange but the driveline shop will know it.

Scottie, Thanks for the advice, but I think I'm stuck with what I already have. Supposedly the 83 Nissan T-5 I'm using has a 24 spline yoke that wasn't used on any other transmission. The GM and Ford version of the T-5 have different input and output splines I'm told. I'd love to go to a better part if only I could find a decent yoke that fit my transmission. My driveline shop said they looked all over for a new yoke that fit my T-5 so performance u-joints were not even an option.

I looked at the receipt for my driveline and the flange that failed was made by PTI. I've never heard of these folks.

You say you are using a GM shaft but what u-joint are you using on the diff side? The NEAPCO adaptor I am referring to used the big u-joints on one side and bolted up to the R200 flange. I doubt that it was made specifically for the R200 and it is more likely that some other application uses a flange with the same bolt pattern as the R200. Rather than tell them R230 (HUH? WHAT?) you need to take an R230 flange in to them and have them find a u-joint flange that has the same bolt pattern.