HybridZ

ZXT motor in a 71 swap. Gas tank question

Guest chucklaw33

you need the larger inlet and return lines of the fi tank and the baffles as well. the easiest solution is to get a tank from a 75 or 76 280Z. it almost fits perfectly but not quite.

you would be better off going this route more then any.

Guest bastaad525

I second Vashonz, I'm running a '72 240 with turbo motor and using the stock '72 fuel tank, the fuel pump pickup is at the bottom center of the tank, and I've had no problems with fuel starvation, but you do need to keep it above 1/4 tank or it will cut out on you in turns or under hard acceleration. I'm also using the stock zxt fuel pump but it is recommended by most here to upgrade to something with a higher volume if you are gonna be turning up the boost.

IF you do have the option of going with an early 280z fuel tank (I THINK you can only use '75 or '76 but I"m not sure, I do know for sure that the later fuel tanks in the 280 were a different shape and wont fit the 240 body) then it is definately a better option.

(Yeah I was thinking of mentioning the surge tank too, but I'll tell you from what I've seen making and using one of these is kind of a PITA....)

Using and making a surge tank is very easy. Why take a short cut on a turbo motor? Just spend the time the 1st time and then it will be done.

Guest bastaad525

um... in this case I think it's because many people take the short cut and find that it works just fine :) and who wants to spend extra $$$ or time if they dont need to? If I've ever run into a situation where my fuel tank setup caused me problems, then yeah I would do something about it like setting up a surge tank. Even when I've pushed the car hard, taking turns very fast I've never had any thing like a fuel cut out. As far as needing to keep it above a 1/4 tank all the time, that's fine by me, ever since I had my first EFI car I've always followed this rule anyways, because I know that if you were to let it get low and forget and run it to empty, that this can cause problems such as overheating your injectors. Plus by just keeping that mentality of "1/4 tank=empty" I have never made that stupid mistake of running out of fuel and being stuck (my g/f does this all the time....).

The stock tank works fine until you run a larger fuel pump then stock, then you will run into problems with the return line being to small, and it will cause issues.

Rumor has it the 75 tank is a direct swap, not sure.

I had a half inch copper pick-up added to mine, and it worked well, until you got below 1/4 tank, then you better not do any fancy driving, you would suck air, and be sitting on the side of the road waiting for the fuel pump to finally re-prime.

You could get a sump from Summit for about 50 bucks, have that welded on, either way, with a bigger pump, you will have to have a larger return line.

Guest bastaad525

yeah I think '75 and '76 tanks are direct swap and '77-'78 wont work. If you have one available go for it.

Man I didn't know upgrading my pump was going to create problems with the return line :(

I still haven't run into any problems with the stock pump... and I"m not even using a relay yet (gonna do that one next wednesday hopefully).

Guest bloodyknucklz

I have the stock 72 tank on my 240z turbo. I took the tank to a gas tank/radiator shop and had a sump welded to the bottom rear of the tank. (Summit recing products). Prior to the sump being welded on the area where the sump is attached to must be baffled (a number of circular cutouts made in that area of the tank). The sump includes directions for this ...just give them to the shop. I then ran a 3/8 line as feed and used the original feed as return. THe sump has 2 fittings at the rear for the lines. Works great and never a problem with fuel starvation.

I welded two new 3/8 npt fittings on the stock tank. this may look like it is hanging to low, but it is actually higher up than the dif and cross member. This cured my fuel starvation due to rusted pickup and return lines. And yes that is rust in the filter. I have since derusted and epoxy coated the tank.

album_pic.php?pic_id=2262

sub note: I think that creating some kind of surge tank or baffle is a better and cleaner install. But I opted for a surgetank up front. Now my high pressure fuel pump (MSD 2225) is below the level of the fuel. This way it doesn't need to suck up the fuel. This made the pump a LOT more quiet.