HybridZ

Dan Juday, eat your heart out!

auxilary

yeah, i know... mounts are going to be the hardest part most likely... But hopefully I'll have it back and running by MSA show. I'd really like to take my Z there when finished. Particularly because I want to open hte hood, and have people go "What the...." :D

If I have time, I'll do a diary type thing for progress, but even if I don't, I'll have pictures step by step as always. Couple of things that will present themselves as problems are 1. mounts. rotary is very awkward, and 2. exhaust. the turbo is on hte passenger side, and so is the exhaust, vs. Z's driver's side.

Then there's everything else ;)

Hey that looks like a familar site! This is my engine bay last winter before I painted it.....

album_pic.php?pic_id=2243album_pic.php?pic_id=2242

This was after many many hours of removing the rust from underneath the battery tray and scrubbing the hell out of all the greasy grimmy panels! Man am I glad thats over! :D

album_pic.php?pic_id=2244

Good luck with yours! :D

Guy

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Congrats Aux, cant wait to see it! If you need a hand with anything, or just some creative collaboration, let me know! I live in Sac and wouldnt mind driving out to the bay area to assist with a rotary swap. :-D

Alex, Contact Dave of Z Dr. in Roanoke Virginia... Look him up in the yellowpages on line. Dave (AKA Doc) did a RX7 Turbo2 conversion on a 75 Z about 10 years ago. It was NOT that hard to do... If you have questions, he is your man!

Mike

that I would like to see finished. Definetly something totally different in the works here.

80 LT1 that engine bay looks so good Id be afraid to put anything in it for fear of scratching something :oops:

I think mounting your engine will be the easy part.

Exhaust and turbo on the passenger side?..thats great.. no steering linkage issues..

My turbo was in the way of my steering linkage...no way and no how was the turbo going to move...so my frame rail and steering had to! :shock:

Just make sure you fab the mounts from 1/8th plate steel...to help out, I placed the driveline in the car held by chains, and positioned it just perfect.. lined it all up..measuring the whole thing EXACTLY where we wanted it to sit...There was actually lots of room, so placing it back was important, but no so far back as to make things too difficult.

Anyways, we used card board to make the mounts and taped them up.. (mine are boxes..or at least box shaped) We cut panels of cardboard, and held them in place with tape, and made boxed mounts.... one other thing...if your mounting to the frame rails..(like I did) make sure you add more metal to the rails.. I used 14 guage sheet metal and boxed the frame rails 8+ inches to distribute the loads that my beast of an engine was going to throw at my motor mounts.

Install was much easier than anticipated... Routing all the plumbing/wiring was more difficult, though positioning the engine took several hours of planning, and took three of us to position the motor and brace it perfectly, so measurements could be take, and the mounts fabbed up from cardboard... without moving the engine again, we then cut the steel in the shape of the cardboard bits, and then tack welded them together and did the trial fits before final seam welding the mounts....

oh and don't forget to engineer the mounts so you can get at the bolts easily...

Good luck.. I"ll be watching your progress as well..

im glad your going through with that, to be honest i figured it would end up being something you would have never had the time to actually do, i cant wait to see how it performs when done, seems like a lot of fun, are you going to mod it at all before you drop it in or are you going to get it to work stock first then mod?

You can be a member of jackstand racing if you want... or you can join my rival team..

"ivegotawierdengineswapithoughtwouldbecoolbutnowicantmakeitwork Racing"

AKA. " I wish this would work motorsports"

Yes i think at one point in time EVERYBODY on here has been part of Jackstand Racing.

were just making it official now..

but yes i cant wait to here the awesome sounds of that Rotary!!!!!!!!!

congrads! and have fun!

mike

to the tune of the wizard of oz.....

"we welcome you to jackstand land!!!" :twisted:

and if anyone calls me glinda the good witch i'll.....

seriously, i can't wait to see this done!!!! i'd ask you to keep us informed of your progress but i know you will anyway. do you plan on leaving the rotary stock, or are you beefing it up?

jsr's membership drive is on and kicking... you too can have that cool thing in your signature!!!

i'm hoping to get it up and running by MSA's show, so hopefully in 6 months. I will be leaving the turbo setup stock for now, but I will be running an aftermarket engine management system, probably Microtech. The upside is I won't have to deal with half the sensors and wiring harness, but the downside is that there aren't any EMS units that support electronic oil metering pump (the thingy that squirts oil on rotors during operation), so my options are 1. run premix (2 stroke oil in gas), or 2. I have a mechanical oil metering pump from a series 4 turbo, and the front engine cover, so I can possibly swap that in.

and yes, I was a member of JSR for a year, left for 1.5 years, and now I'm back once again.