HybridZ

Finished product....

Guest 240hybrid

Guest 240hybrid

Well, I got some pics of the car after my first paint job. I think that all the endless hours of bodywork, prepwork, wetsanding, etc. has paid off. I am very pleased with the overall outcome, and only have to bolt the grill, front bumper, and vaccum the interior out real good and she'll be very well off. The wheels need a buffing too :? . The paint I used is a single stage, Dupont Nason, Ful-thane 2k urethane Cherry red. The Cherry red has a way of making it look orange at different angles and lighting. I am vere pleased with the single stage paint, and the reason I used it instead of a 2 stage paint was that there is more chances of bugs and junk getting in the paint inside my homemade paint booth. Also a it's more expensive than the single stage. I'm very pleased with the rear corner I patched in also, you can't even tell anythings been done there. There are a few more pics of the work in progress and a couple others after the paint in my webpage. Heres some of the pics....

449966_23_full.jpg

449966_31_full.jpg

449966_26_full.jpg

449966_33_full.jpg

Also, I wanted to ask out of curiousity. Why do you have to wait 3 months to wax the new paint? It is just to ensure that the paint is completely set up and the wax won't damage it? Thanks, Chase

Looks great!! I know what you mean about all the bodywork!!!

You need to give the paint time to breathe. If you smell the paintwork after to colorsand/buff, you can probably smell the thinner. I too am itching to wax my paint, but cannot until January!!

Great job....nice smooth rear!!

Tim

Guest 240hybrid

Thanks for the complements guys. Tim your car is definitely unique, with the custom vents and the rear end slits for the lights, and that color! I haven't seen too many cars in that color. Sweet car indeed.

Yeah, I know what you mean Glenn, I'll be happy to see it finished too. Getting the paint done was a big hurdle to get over and a large step toward finishing it though. Once I get my L28et from Jim and I install it, I think that I will be very happy and make the car seem almost completed. Then its just brake upgrades, coil overs and wheels and I think the car will be done, shouldn't be too long for those items.

I'm not too concerned about waxing the car yet, I was just curious. The place I got the paint at told me to wait about 3 months. I won't be driving the car very much, and never in the rain, so I can wait for just a little while to be safe.

Thanks, Chase

Guest 240hybrid

Very true denny, I'll have to use that. My brother wants me to help paint his 5.0 now since he saw how good mine came out. I'm not too sure about monkeying with these fords :lol: . JK Nothing but bad experiences so far. I just hope he's as gun hoe and ready to jump in as I am when I work.

Chase

Guest 240hybrid

Thanks again guys. The cherry red makes it look orangish-red in a lot of light, and more red out of direct sunlight. I kind of like the cherry red for that. In person its more reddish too. My cousin asked if it was chameleon paint :lol: when I showed him a pic of it, but he's only 14 though. Thanks for the complements, and the appreciation of all the work that goes into doing this. Thanks again, Chase

Once I get my L28et from Jim and I install it, I think that I will be very happy and make the car seem almost completed.

Who is Jim? What's he doing to your L28et? I'm looking for ideas for a "t" rebuild.

Dave

Guest 240hybrid

Thanks Pete and Rufuskay, your kids are learning to wrench at a young age :o . Heres a pic that shows more of the reddish tint... 449966_30_full.jpg

Persimmon red was used on Zcars after mid 73' and Cherry red, the color I used was used on pre 73' Zs. I think that the persimmon lends itself to more of a true red, while the cherry red isn't the normal red you see usually.

D9, I was going to have my machine work done and assemble my L28et myself. But the thought of keeping everything in order in my already cramped 1 car garage, and storing parts inside the apartment here would have turned into hell :evil: . So I decided to have Jim Thompson, owner of Sunbelt Performance Motors do the machine work and the assembly of the motor. I'll still be doing the install of the motor, plumbing the intercooler/exhaust and a few other things dealing the with the motor myself. Jim is a very well known and respected motor builder here in the southeast, Suwannee GA. I know the motor will be done right too, after all he didn't get famous building junk motors. :wink: . If you want more info., feel free to email me.

Thanks, Chase

BEAUTIFUL, period. 240hybrid how did you like the Dupont Nason, Ful-thane 2k urethane. My '77 is haveing body work done now right now. I was looking at that brand of paint but hav'nt seen it 'till now. I was looking at the Dark blue. I might go that route now. 8)

Are going to wet sand it later? does it need it? From the pics it looks pretty damn perfect. Truly a job well done.

Guest 240hybrid

I have no complaints about the Dupont Nason, fulthane 2k urethane paint that I used. It only cost $180 for a gallon of the paint, the catalyst, and reducer, and red supposedly cost more than other colors. I had to buy more catalyst and reducer (another $30) for my last coat on the doors/fenders and all the other small parts I pulled off the car, and I still have about half a cup of paint left for touch ups/chips later if needed.

The paint went on real good, and I didn't have that many runs. I did do some wetsanding on it to get a few little flaws out using 1500 :x a few days after painting it, and I buffed the paint afterwards to get the shine you see on it now.

If you have a REAL paintbooth to paint in, instead of my homemade one, I think that you could shoot the car and not have to do too much or any wetsanding and the paint is real nice and glossy as-is after spraying without any needed work. I buffed it, to get the spots I wetsanded here and there back to a shine and cut a bit of orange peel I had down. The paint code for the stock Z blues are 903, light blue metallic 305, blue metallic 307. You can get a small phamphlet that has a few color choices from Dupont, their phone # is 1-800-3-Dupont.

Chase