HybridZ

How strong is R180 diff?

yo2001

I could never figure out why the A/T cars ALL had R-180s and the M/T cars had R-200s? Probably because if the torque loading during acceleration? When I bought MY car, the guy told me it had the stronger R-200 diff, but I later figured it was the R-180, ( from the tall shape of the cover) like it matters- I don't drag race or anything.

I would have to say it was more a matter of making sure they didn't have to replace diffs in the cars with a MT that like to rev it to 4000 rpm and sidestep the clutch. Less weight is a good thing. I pulled the R200 out of the turbo VG 510 to put the R160 in it and it raised the rear of the car a full 1". Crazy! Bottom line is that once you get ride of the spider gears, they diffs are virtually indestructible! I bet an R160 LSD would take as much or more abuse than an open R200!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LSD options for the R180 (that I'm aware of):

Nissan Motorsports (and Nismo) LSD (clutch pack 4 pinion) $800.

Torsen/Gleason (torque biasing) NLA but about $1,000 used if you can find one.

Quaife (torque biasing) $895.

Nissan OEM LSD (clutch pack 2 pinion) NLA but available outside the US in the 432 and other street Nissan applications.

Of the 4 above, the Nissan OEM 2 pinion LSD will have the same basic weakness as the stock, open two pinion R180. The other units are very strong.

Also, be aware of the two different ring gear ID sizes. The early 240Z R180s (through 1972 I think) used a 110mm ring gear ID. All later ring gears had a 115mm ID. The LSD has to match the ring gear.

So Gary, where do you get those R180 LSD centers from and are they a clutch type?

That would be from Jimmy at http://www.differentials.com They are the clutch type and cost right at $500 for both the R180 & R200 versions. Give him a call and tell him that you got the info from Gary Savage. That's Jimmy Claypool @ West Coast Differentials 800-510-0950 Jimmy & his brother Jerry have been Datsun guys for quite some time.

There you go!

• 1 year later...
Gary what is involved with the install of the R-180 LSD?

Depends on what car you are talking about and what diff you have. In a 510, it's a "bolt-in" deal. If you are talking Z with an R200, then it's just a mustache bar swap (with one from a 240Z) and bolt it in. Maybe your context was about how to put the LSD carrier into an open R180? Sorry, but I wanted to make sure I got you the answer since I didn't have more specifics. Hope that helps.

• 2 months later...

Might be worth checking how many plates etc those Subaru R180 LSD's have. I had one and from an external examination there did not look to be many, so at the time a KAAZ looked a much better proposition.

But a Torsen type center came up so the Sube one was sold.

One point concerning stock non-LSD R180's, a four pinion one was made. From what I can tell they came out in all IRS S12's and some other Nissan cars of that time. IIRC the S13 changed to a short nose diff. It also seems that the case of the S12 long nose type R180's has a large 'K' marked on the top of the diff housing, a K case R180 as they are sometimes called.

Their stub axle splines are a bit beefier too, they definately should take more of a hammering than the early R180's.

NB edited to correct error para 3 :)

haven't read the Scooby thread yet (blasted dialup :x broadband makes research so much easier...), but another source for Nissan R180s were in CA18-powered JDM S13s, either open or viscous LSD, with a 4.36:1 final drive. Forgot if they're 5-bolt or 6-bolt output flanges though, d'oh. I'll try to remember to check on the S12 source, a guy I know on CarolinaNissans is big into the S12 and should have some good info...

still haven't read the first two pages of this thread yet (d'oh, silly dialup), but here is some stuff that I hope is useful and not a repeat :D

The S12 R180's came in all the base model IRS models. They are actually a pretty tough differential, I know of a few guys who are running fairly built-up CA18DET's with no problems so far. Unfortunately, they never came with an LSD, but they do have aftermarket ones, I know they have the Nismo one, and possibly a Quaiffe or Torsen, but I can't remember for sure. Most of the S12 guys just swap to a short-nose R200 since it's a direct bolt in from the Z31's, and the turbo Z's had an LSD. Not sure what other vehicles the R180 came in, possibly one of the 710/810 series? Not sure, like I said, most of the guys just swap in a Z31 diff if they plan on making any serious power.

I understand the 200 is better, but since it is more sought after and usually more $$, I figured a LSD 180 could be the ticket for a lower HP build up.

And I disagree with the R180 is better opinion. If you swap in good LSD (Nissan Motorsports, Quaife, Torsen) the R180 is plenty strong. I ran 320hp and 275 ft. lbs. of torque through an R180 on road race tracks across the west for almost 3 years. Only problem I had was heat.

A R200 adds 35 lbs. (by my scales) to the car and has a negative affect on the driver's side halfshaft angles. Its a cheap and easy way to get a 3.90 gear but, other then that, its really only of value for hard drag race launches where the car is making over 300 ft. lbs. of torque.