HybridZ

1980-81 Datsun 810 station wagon 5 spd trans ID PLEASE

RB26powered74zcar

Would anyone by any chance know which 5 spd came on this 810 Datsun. It looks just like any other Datsun 5 spd, as it was bolted to the L24 maxima engine.

I'm just wondering about what the gearing might be, as I've never seen this trans included in any write ups.

thanks for any info./links that will help me know what the gears are inside.

joel

You can mark the input shaft and the output shaft, stick a shifter in it, and check the gears to find your ratios.

I would bet that it is the same as a 280ZX transmission. Another thing to check is for reverse lockout from 5th. Put it in 5th, then try to put it straight into reverse. If you have to put it in neutral and wiggle the shifter back and forth before it goes into reverse, and the ratios match, then its the same as a 280ZX.

1st gear should be right around 3:1.

OD should be right around .8:1.

Jon

1980 Maxima

1 - 3.321

2 - 2.077

3 - 1.308

4 - 1.000

5 - 0.864

R - 3.382

1981 Maxima

1 - 3.321

2 - 2.077

3 - 1.308

4 - 1.000

5 - 0.752

R - 3.382

So' date=' I supose, since I don't know, that the 810 station wagon is a Maxima as you've described above ??

I just don't remember seeing the Maxama badge anywhere on the car... [img']http://www.superkaos.com/phpbb/images/smiles/o.gif[/img]

Not as much as a same condition 280ZX. :(

I have seen them priced from just a few hundred dollars to typically no more than $1800 for a very clean one. The station wagons are priced very cheaply (there was a running one on eBay for less than $100). Drive trains (based on the Z cars) can go forever but like Z's they do tend to suffer from body cancer. One problem is that NOS parts availability from Nissan is much worse than even an early Z car, especially body and interior trim items. I think I got the some of the last NOS front and rear glass. The dashes tend to crack and no one makes a cap for the 810's. If you get one to restore try to find some “parts cars” in your area.

The two door 810 Hardtop's (which is what I have) were only offered for two years ('79 and '80) and are worth more. I recall seeing one in Hemmings that sold for $3500 a few years ago. I only paid $250 for mine but I have put three thousand + into it restoring it (and I’m still not quite done yet).

I bought RacerX's (Ernie) 1977 810 sdan a few months ago. He had gone through the interior and replaced all the worn peices and its got an uncracked dash. No pan, rocker, or structural rust but the bottoms of the doors have bubbles. Lots of other things were replaced (upgraded) on it and I drive it all the time.

Darn.. I knew I should have grabbed it.. About 8 months ago I went to look at a 75(I think..?) Datsun 810. 4 door sedan, complete and running. It kind of looked like an old domestic car, but smaller! Needed some rust repair (of course!) but was pretty solid overall. Started up and drove around this guys field and it ran perfect! I was thinking of a V6 turbo (300zxt) or even a V8 swap... but I could have drove it home like it was for $250. Man... :? what can ya do...

1977 was the first production year of the 810.

Speaking of 810 engine swaps, a friend of mine has installed a 280ZX turbo drivetrain in his. I’ve never seen a V8 swap, but the 810 would make a great “sleeper”. With the fuel tank mounted in the trunk and a centrally located spare tire well, dual exhausts are easy to install. The stock R180 diff can be upgraded to the R200 and CV axles can be adapted. The front 810 struts will accept the popular Toyota 4 piston calipers and you can even use vented rotors (I have the later V6 Maxima rotors on mine). Even the rear drum brakes can be changed over to the rear disc brake setup from a 280ZX.

The only downsides of the 810 are the semi-trailing rear suspension setup (like on the ZX) and the 60/40 front-rear weight distribution.

Get this... I've been getting parts/cars from this yard on a trade out basis for years now. Trade the owner a mirror job in his house for whatever I want.

So I see this 91 810 wagon, bodys shot, but drivetrain is clean, L24,5 spd, so I work out a trade.

I go to pick it up fri after I grt the call, it's out and ready for pick up.

I get there and the first thing I see is a chunck of alum broke off the rear yoke seal, and the seal is gone. The nitwit drops the motor/trans on the tail shaft cause the strap gives out, and it breaks the output shaft seal tail housing.

To boot, the rear tail splined shaft now has a wobble in it when turned.

BIG QUESTION: is this thing worth swaping out the rear tail shaft? have a few of them. The Alum tail cover seems to be a no brainer, its the splined shaft that I'm not to sure of... :oops:

Keep in mind, this is all for almost free... :D especialy since I now have the upper hand... furious.gif

Whatcha think???