HybridZ

Rust? What Rust?

If you dont know how to weld, you had better learn. This car will cost you a fortune to restore it's strength, unless you do it yourself. It really pains me to see this kind of damage. Good luck!

Guest storm280z

hey MTenneZ you and i ahve the same problem with our frame rail. i was looking a your pictures an the last one were the rail i almost coming off. well mine i totally gone. but im bout to have it fix if i can find a frame rail that has an tension bar hole. so if i find out whaat to do i will keep you updated if you woud like.

If you don`t have some sort of sentimental or emotional attachment to the car, I suggest finding a solid shell and using you current 240 as a mechanical donor.

From my personal experience, what you see on the surface is less than 1/2 of what is actally there.

Luckily my Z wasn`t near that bad, I had a spot that looked like a silver dollar sized hole. By the time I got all of the rust cut out, I could easily fit my fist in the hole.

I agree. My parts car is in better shape and I wouldn't dream of restoring it. It will cost to much to repair that one. Look around and you can find a decent shell. I found one in Columbus that was restored but not running for $350 which is less than I paid for my running parts car.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
:shock:

lil jbweld will fix that right up :D

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. That is going to need jbweld AND duck tape silly! :D

I agree, unless you have some attachment to the car, I'd look for another Z that is more solid. If it is rusted that bad there, you can assume that there is going to be rust in places you didnt even think could get rusty.

BTW, if you do have some attachment and will go through with doing the work yourself, give yourself a big pat on the back to start with. Gotta have respect for someone who is going to take on a challenge like that. Take progress pics! :cheers:

Well,

Yet another voice of reason, the statement was made earlier that what you see is oly half of whats there. I totally agree. Unless you ahve some sort of attachment to this car, I would shop around. It really sucks to see another 240Z cut up and parted out, But sometimes its not worth the effort in both time and money to bring her back. But hey, Whatever floats your boat, im lucky enough to have started out with a fairly good example...do what you got-ta-do

oh... and good luck with that one, should you pursue it, keep us posted and rub your progresss in our faces!

Guest Your Car is Slow
:shock:

lil jbweld will fix that right up :D

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. That is going to need jbweld AND duck tape silly! :D

I agree' date=' unless you have some attachment to the car, I'd look for another Z that is more solid. If it is rusted that bad there, you can assume that there is going to be rust in places you didnt even think could get rusty.

BTW, if you do have some attachment and will go through with doing the work yourself, give yourself a big pat on the back to start with. Gotta have respect for someone who is going to take on a challenge like that. Take progress pics! :cheers:[/quote']

Blasphemy!!!

It states clearly in the rules that you cannot use duct tape on a vehicle without a combination of Staples..or Zipties.

I swear..if you cant give the guy good information..dont give any at all!!! :D :D

I sure am glad you guys mentioned JB Weld, duct tape and zip ties. I was just going to slap some bondo on it and pray. :D

But on a serious note, I don’t have any real sentimental attachment to the car other than the amount of time it took me to find one that was remotely close and reasonably priced (or so I thought at the time). As to my welding skills…yea that’s about it. But what better to learn on than something this bad, right? I may sit on this one over the winter since time is not an issue and see what comes up. As for the cost to fix it, most of the work I will do and since I don’t care how long it takes (to do it right) the expenses will be greatly spread out. I appreciate all of your opinions yet feared them too because I knew what was likely to be said. If anyone knows of a cheap better condition 240 (that should be easy) let me know.

Thanks

Matt

Yup. All you folks in the southern states have no idea what we call a "good" example of a Z car up here in canada. That is bad, but repairable. And good shells are becoming VERY scarce around here, nevermind a 'rust free' one (YA RIGHT!!! :lol: ). well,.. my area anyway. I say fix it man. Go for it!

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

My sway bar drags the ground, and I can see the road through my floor boards (or lack thereof).

...and I'm NOT getting rid of the car! I just bought it a couple months ago, and I bought it with a tube frame in mind. You guys saying "find a new shell" would be laughed at where I come from. Is no one willing to put a little elbow grease into a car anymore?!?!