HybridZ

L28et Potential?

Phyte

I've searched, but I must not be looking in the right places. Is it easy to get an L28et to 400rwhp easily and reliably? Like a T03/04 at 20psi? I was going to go with an LT1, but I really would like a turbo car this time around. I plan on a complete rebuild of the engine with new parts.

Would an L28et with ported/polished P90 and a T03/04 turbo be capable of supplying 400rwhp in my early 260z? Pump gas, or race gas? I've got about 4k to spend on an engine, so I think I should be able to accomplish this with no problem.

Phyte

well zcarsmakemyheadhurt (alex) is builidng my motor... a L28ET.

Mack is right, its all in good tuning, but alex was runing slicks, and race gas and also had nitous.. pretty sure he didnt use it for those times in the 1/4th mile he made, never knew he dynoed that high though..

the motor im going to be running is a stock rebuilt L28ET, a T04E turbo, major port work to the head, intake and exhaust, full 3in mandrel bent exhaust, custom FMIC, stand alone engine managment system, 55lb o-ring injectors and others odds and ends parts..

we are shooting for 300+rwhp on pump gas and low boost.

also putting on a 100 wet shot for those pesky V8 Z's :D

but yes it it can be done, its just pricey.

i really havent seen any 400rwhp L28ET's on pump gas though.. or ones that dont have some CRAZY work done to them.

has james or TimZ or other fast L28ET owners ever dyno there Z's?

im sure they are out there though...

mike

Wow, with the insane amount of torque these motors put out I won't need 400rwhp. Maybe somewhere around 350 with 400+ torque. Besides we all know its torque that wins races not HP :D

So good fuel management, injectors, good IC, port/polished head, forged pistons, T03/04 turbo should make me happy when I mash the skinny pedal. I've built countless SBC's, but this is my first turbo motor. This is going to be fun.

Phyte

well you really dont need a built motor, it would be safer and smarter but you dont need it.

dont add any more power, just gives you a pillow so to speak if the motor detontes or however u spell it.. (i need some sleep :)) and or allows you to run higher boost safely..

PM if you want alex's email or AOL IM name so he can help ya out picking the right parts to build badass L6..

mike

Guest De Schmaydee

...IMO......no...

it depends on your level of expertise and resources ...if you can pay someone to do it for you, it might be easy...(but not w/$4k).

a lot of people have done it.....dont know about the "easy" part...

you'll need a good intercooler. 3" exhaust, bigger injectors, better fuel pump,turbo (and maybe wastegate).....good to have a bypass valve (mine wont run w/o one)....boost controller... and an aftermarket ecu and all it takes to get it in properly. and you still have to get the turbo motor (and everything else needed to do the swap) and get it in the car.

a lot of guys on here are very talented and experienced in dealing w/this stuff.... and have a well equipped garage to work in..they can do things that most people cant do...i think it would be real hard to do it for $4k (400hp @ the wheels)...depends on how much you can do yourself......400hp is a lot...

....and if you get it you will have to do things to the drivetrain also....

but you should be able to get it close (not to 400 hp but most of the things needed to get to 400hp)...and get a lot more than 180hp.... prbly eveything but the aftermarket ecu and injectors....if you do it wisely and do a lot of it yourself....i dont think it'll be easy...but do-able....at least it hasnt been for me...

i have $7k in mine (and i dont have 400hp)...and i already had the turbocar....but i screwed up a lot and didnt do (a lot of) things as wisely as it should have been done..... ....s

Hoovers car has a billet bottom end and 8.5-1 or so cr, motec, custom everything, and the almightly garret gt2530 or maybe even bigger by now. 414@14psi pump gas is phenomenal to say the least.

try 3" aluminum ic piping to a huge spearco, with all the pipes freakin cfm tested and flowed, math everywhere, and a 4 inch alum intake pipe connected to a Icice9 special air filter! Car is nuts, and at idle, is quieter than mien :shock:

Yes all of the work will be done by myself and my pops. He owns a shop up in KS where he's been building custom hot rods for years. He's got a lift, clean room, paint room, everything. We will be doing everything on the engine including the head work. The only thing we won't be able to do is any block machining. I think 400hp is a little over kill now that I think about it. 320-350 at the rear wheels with ~400lbs/tq will be fast enough for me. I just want to be able to take a Z06 :)

Phyte

I've searched, but I must not be looking in the right places. Is it easy to get an L28et to 400rwhp easily and reliably? Like a T03/04 at 20psi? I was going to go with an LT1, but I really would like a turbo car this time around. I plan on a complete rebuild of the engine with new parts.

"Easy" depends on your ability to tune and fabricate, but the stock motor is capable of it.

Would an L28et with ported/polished P90 and a T03/04 turbo be capable of supplying 400rwhp in my early 260z? Pump gas' date=' or race gas? I've got about 4k to spend on an engine, so I think I should be able to accomplish this with no problem.

Phyte[/quote']

Yes, it's capable with the proper fuel, intake (IC), and exhaust systems in place. 4k $ may be pushing it unless you get some good price breaks on parts and you do all the assembly and fabrication.

Shane ran high 11's on slicks, low 12's with drag radials in his 240Z with stock motor, Spearco IC and JWT Sport 450 fuel management. That equates to approximately 400rwhp, and he went many drag racing seasons on the same engine.

also we forgot Z1performance with his crazy 280ZX (remember that cam he had!!!!!!!!)

that one guy THAT MADE 500+hp with the nitrous, it was a widebody G-nose, 18in CCW wheels, he posted it forsale on here..

mike

Guest De Schmaydee

Phyte.... you got it made then... or youre well on your way.... 300-350 is a lot different than 400.. the t5 can do pretty well @ 350..... not as well @ 400... and anything that doesnt get to the ground doesnt count....

...a good t3/t04 B/E will do "its part" get you over 400... but you get to a point that you have to have the fuel and timing to do the boost correctly...and thats when it gets expensive.

a "good" 20+ psi setup isnt something that is that easy to achieve (IMO)....i mean you can get a stock t3 to blow 20+psi of (hotter than hell) air into the motor....but you wont have a powerful dependable car....

you might be able to get a good "300"-350hp car w/$4k in your situation... but it will be close... .....s

Phyte.... you got it made then... or youre well on your way.... 300-350 is a lot different than 400.. the t5 can do pretty well @ 350..... not as well @ 400... and anything that doesnt get to the ground doesnt count....

...a good t3/t04 B/E will do "its part" get you over 400... but you get to a point that you have to have the fuel and timing to do the boost correctly...and thats when it gets expensive.

a "good" 20+ psi setup isnt something that is that easy to achieve (IMO)....i mean you can get a stock t3 to blow 20+psi of (hotter than hell) air into the motor....but you wont have a powerful dependable car....

you might be able to get a good "300"-350hp car w/$4k in your situation... but it will be close... .....s

Lol! A stock T3 might be able to push 20psi of boost at the compressor housing, but it sure won't be enough air to make 450hp (400rwhp), hot or not. I tend to agree $4k will not normally get you 400rwhp, but it most likely will get you to the 350rwhp point.

I still have a fully built 3.1 liter turbo motor I'm looking to sell. It was posted in the for sale section a while back. You can probably look it up in the search function looking for my previous posts.It still has 0 miles as I have been working on my suspension and body lately. It is complete with Z31 computer and mass sensor along with a Greddy E-manage piggyback and a bunch of other stuff. It will easliy put down over 400hp. Let me know if you want more info.

My 3.0 liter stroker made 469rwhp and 471fpt. With a bone stock 89 Supra CT26 turbo and a 200hp shot of nitrous to the wheels.I used JE pistons and Cunningham rods with a diesel crank and every ARP stud/bolt I could put on the motor.I think a L-28 with a T3/T4 and a set of forged pistons with a set of preped stock rods and a shot of port nitrous should be able to make 400hp with some level of relability.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chris240turbo

My car made 287whp and 318 wtq, at 16 psi, through an old t-3/GN hybrid, the motor was built with J+E pistons, and nissan motorsport rod bolts, head was ported by a shop in Arlington, with a schnieder cam, and block was O-ringed, other than the head porting and cam, I imagine I gained zero power over a stock motor, but alot of peace of mind, however, I certainly have much more than 4k in the set up, even if I had used a junkyard motor, it all adds up quick, if you want a reliable 400 HP to the wheels, you can forget about using any kind of Nissan engine management, unless you REALLY know what you're doing. although there are several on this site that do, and surely would help you along, also big injectors don't come cheap, and they hardly give away intercoolers capable of that kind of power, not to mention all the pipng, plus you'll have to do something about fuel delivery in your originally carbed 260. it's certainly isn't cheap to make that kind of serious power (personally I'd like to think that 300whp, in an S30, is pretty serious) but it can be, and has been done. while a good bit of an L28ET into S30 swap is bolt in, expect to spend alot of money, and not a little time, to hit the big numbers. I've never sat down and added it all up, and I intend to avoid doing so...