HybridZ

How to install Z32 taillights in a S30 (a pictorial)

Dan Juday

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terry, you're close. I'm using fenders from two different kits that John sells. The fronts are from the SubtleZ kit and are detailed to match the stock fenders only wider. The 280YZ kit is a no-frills racecar setup. To make the two kits look like they belonged together I asked John If he would sell me just the wheel arches from the rear fenders of the SubtleZ kit. My bodyman then fitted and blended them to the fenders.

Another point of inconsistency is the crease line that runs down the body at the height of the door handle. The YZ kit does not have this. John laid up the fiberglass extra thick in this area on the front fenders so it could be sanded away. The doors were them massaged in a similar fashion to remove the crease.

Terry did a nice write-up with pics here just a little while ago on how to restore a nice straight crease line in your door. If things get tight and I have to part out the car I can use his write-up to make the doors salable again. :D

Dan, it looks really, really good. I'm jealous. :P

Sounds like we need to get a caravan of some sort down to MSA. I'll be at Rio Vista too. Oh, and there is the ZGROUP convention by Nissan being held in LA on the 15th and 16th. Lots of good shows this year.

Oops. A correction and a clarification.

Ted has 18" rims, eek!

My rear tires are 305/50/15's and the fronts, under the SubtleZ fenders, are 265/50/15's.

And a reminder, since we're up to three pages of praise now, thank you for all the kind words but I didn't do the work. Well, I did some of it, but the real hard stuff was done by Mach Autobody of Sacramento. Brothers Tony and Andy Mach and their crew of auto-artists made the transformation.

If you like the work bring your Z to the Rio Vista show. Tony will be there and can give you on the spot estimates for the body and paint work on your car.

Guest 70240z

Nice Job Dan..

I was actually planning to do my rear fenders similar to the way you did yours. Not having an arch just doesnt look right to me :(

The difference with what I'm doing though is I plan on using the stock bumper but split the sides and make it wrap around the fenders.

For some reason I just love the stock bumpers...

Guess I'll have to make the trip to Rio Vista just to check it out..

• 2 weeks later...

i think the taillights look great, i was wondering what it would look like if the metal surrounding the lights was black, so i did a quick photoshop i thought you might be interested in seeing, i also moved the taillights up a couple inches.

f1.jpg

z32tails.jpg

what do you think? is it even possible to get the taillights that close to the hatch?

From a straight on rear shot it looks like you could place them anywhere. But if you look at the pics I included that show it from a 3/4 angle you can see that the lights slope forward and the rear of the S30 slopes backwards. We actually extended the overall length of the car by about 3/4" so that the lights would not be so recessed into the rear panel. This actually created a curve to the top edge of the lower valance that more closely matches the curve of the rear edge of the hatch. Stand close to the rear of your car and look straight down and you will see what I mean. The hatch is more curved and the lower valance/bumper is more straight.

All this to say if you raised the lights you would have to extend the lower valance even farther or have a light surround panel with a lot of odd curves to it.

Also you can see by the shadows that even after we extended the lower valance the outside/upper corners of the lights curve back rather drasticly. The way I placed them still recesses that corner about two inches into the body.

So, raise the lights and don't extend the rear valance any farther and you will bury the lights into the rear panel. Raise the lights and extend the lower valance to match and the lower valance sticks way, way out. And finaly, raise the lights and then create a curvy, bendy light surround and you risk making it LOOK like you just plugged the wrong taillights into the car. Some will say that's exactlly what I did anyways but that is the risk you run when ever you have the boldness to alter an already beautiful car like the Z.

So you may have gathered that I explored every posible location and position before tacking then in place. This is THE spot that they were going to go and no other.

But hey, I could be wrong. :wink:

Now, on the subject of painting the area around the lights black, I am considering it. How about doing me a favor and PhotoShop that for me? One version in flat black and another in gloss black if you could?

Guest gtplus2

I do believe that the black out concept around the tail lights may be a plus and might lend it's self to a more finished look, after all almost every Z that I have seen, has a highlight in this area and might be worth trying. I have never seen Dan "miss" anything as far as planning ahead and ultimate placement. After all this car has been in "PAINT JAIL" say what now Dan... 2 maybe 3 weeks, no... months....no YEARS....? I seem to have lost track!!!! LOL Bob. :lol:

Dan if I havnt said it yet I must say I drool every time I see your car. I love it. As for the blackout area well I will try to explain my take here and make some sense out of it. Anyway if you notice in the photoshop it looks as if the blacked out aread is a seperate panel which it is not. If you look at the orig. picture the area around the liscense plate flows into the body. I dont think it would look right with it being painted black as it would kind of be making it look like a stock panel but the body work would be interrupted by the paint. I dont think that makes much sense but maybe someone else will comment. I like it the way it is however I do think that it looks sweet with the lights moved up some. Also is there any reason the stock angle of the tail lights had to be retained. Would it hurt that much if the were angled forward as to sit flat.

Also is there any reason the stock angle of the tail lights had to be retained. Would it hurt that much if they were angled forward as to sit flat.

Yea, it does actually. The Z32 lights are not "one dimensional" (for lack of a better phrase) like the earlier Z taillights. They have a clear outer lense and the red and amber portions are inset and vertical. Set the light in so the outer lense is vertical and the inner red and amber sections point downward. That would really look goofy and have a poor dispersal pattern of the light. Plus the lights wrap around the rear corners of the Z32 somewhat. So set the lense vertical and the lights would look like they were smiling.

Next time you get up close to a Z32 take a look and you'll see what I mean.