HybridZ

man i got into a word fight with a vette owner!

Guest ON3GO

well to the ppl that dont know, my father has a 2003 Z06.

anyways he had some friends over, and this guy was talking about how the "Z" is such a great car and he loves the design and power and feel, and etc..

anyways i heard all this and i thought he was talking about a Z, like our cars or a 350Z or 300zx, you know.

well i spoke up and said "so whats your fav model and year" and he looked at me like i was dumb!

he was like "what do you mean, they only came out a few years ago"

i was like HUH!

then my dad said that he was talking about the vette.

so i told him please dont call the Z06 a Z, because its isnt, its just a trim model of a corvette, just like the Z28.

and he said "the true Z's are Z28's and now the new Z06"

i lost it and said "so you take pride in saying that the middle model camaro is the "true Z car" and also the Z06 isnt new dick, its a model trim from 1963 etc" and walked away..

my dad was like OHHHHHHHHHHH..

hehe.

and now on a vette forum im reading in all thread how they say Z for Z06... man that makes me mad for some reason!

mike

Guest ZmeFly

They are all about how great the vette is over anything else. Hell I remember the vette when well, it didnt really have anything as far as I was concerned, including HP, to have me pay the price they were asking.

Remember the 200hp or less days of the vette. hehe

well i never said the vette was crap... my dads Z06 is crazy nice, i would love it, its really awesome that at only 50 grand it has so much and can do so much, but i cant stand when they say Z for the Z06 and Z28!!

mike

I bet there are alot more people out there who say Z is for Datsun Z not Z06.

ya but those ppl are correct!

Z is for the Datsun/Nissan Z.

from 240Z to 350Z, its really the car, not a Trim like on the vette and camaro.

mike

At the risk of incurring everyone's wrath. Yes the Z06 was an option in '63, the Z28 came out in '68, '75 to '84 'vettes were pigs and the new Z06 'vette is NICE - a friend has one.

You might say that Chevrolet had first dibs on the "z" - no-one who had one or talked about one referred to it as a Camaro, although I always heard the "28" with it.

I personally love the looks of the early z's, which is why I'm building a '75 V8, I can appreciate my ZXT for comfort, conveniences and handling after the appropriate upgrades on a daily use basis. I have Eibachs on both cars, Illiuminas set on 3 all around on the ZXT and HP's on the 280Z, with big bars on both, and the ZXT is much more civil every day on normal roads (rides nicer even with 16" wheels and F1 Steel radials).

Have NEVER liked the S31's, and find the S32's too cramped vertically (for me - 31" inseam 6' - my eyes are above the top of the windshield when my arms - 35" can get to the wheel), and too heavy, although BEAUTIFUL.

When I hear someone say they have a "Z" I always ask what year and blow them off if after '83. Aside from the looks (S31 - purely subjective, certainly), and weight (S-32) factors, I feel that Nissan went to a totally different place with these cars, making them much more costly to maintain and buy parts for, and abandoned what made them GREAT overnite - well engineered, affordable and class dominating (love road racing at Rd. Atl.)

I personally don't get offended by the 'vette community referring to the Z06 as a "Z" in this respect.

Perhaps we should say that everything should be taken in context, and make sure which context is being used before we lose our cool... and even then allow others their illusions - unless of course their illusion insults you.

Too bad you just blow off anything after '83. My '84 Z31 has been as dependable as the day is long, and even after 20 years of being left out in the weather, there isn't a trace of rust to be found on it. If the S models resemble jags, the 300s are styled more like a vette. And even without the chevy in it, it took a pretty damn good early Z to just "blow it off".

Brad-man you just stole my thunder!

And besides... It is a LETTER in the alphabet. Why in GODS NAME would you care who uses it in reference to THEIR car... Especially when it is IN THE NAME of the MODEL of the CAR!! :roll:

Come on Mike... Be pationate about your car, but this is a bit much...

Mike

I thought Corvette owners always described their cars as "Vettes" or the whole "ZO6" or ZR1" not Z. Even camaro owners i know say "Z28" or "IROC" or "IROCZ" rarely do i hear just Z. I did hear a lot of Lumina owners try to covet the "Z" name for their Z34 Luminas. Of course i did notice a slight drop in the "Vette" usage from 80-86 because the "che-Vette" owners started to say "Vette" too. :D:D:D

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I would say the people that use "Z" to refer to their Corvettes are probably people that need even more attention than those who get a Corvette for the attention. (And before anyone asks, no, I am not saying people only get Corvettes for attention. I'm sure we can all agree that there are some that do, however.) They need something to make them stand out. It's like people that constantly have to state that their car is (such-n-such) model. They just want to be set apart from the rest. If they simply refered to their car as a Vette, then they would be lumped into the same group as the other Vette owners. They need to feel special :wink:

Well, I for one have to disagree... On other sites I've had people who own Z28 Camaros mistake my project when I mention putting a 383 stroker and 6 speed in it.

And lately, since I've been trolling some of the Vette sites, I've seen CONSTANT reference to the Zo6 as plain "Z". Good example is Moridin's link to a cornercarver thread about a guy in a Z... Turns out after reading a bit further, he is referencing his Yellow Z06.

There used to be this stereotype about owning a Vette or Mustang... And since I now own both, Guess I fit into that catagory... Is that What I'm hearing here?

My kid referes to his MR2 as "MR" or simply "2"... By your own examples, I guess I should chastize him for that as well... :roll:

This "Stereotype" is no different than assuming a (insert your race/ creed/ color Here!) is guilty of a crime because he/ she is of that color or race...

Gee, glad to hear we are tolerant of others interest in varying types of cars... So much for the word "Enthusiast"! :cry:

I'm more than just a bit disapointed...

Mike :roll:

exactly what on3go said. it's a trim level. I hear a lot of camaro owners referring to their car as a Z. However, that means the corvette, the 1500 truck, the beretta, the corsica, the cavalier are all Z cars. Chevy may have gotten the letter first, but they used it in a different context. It would be like a dodge owner today saying "yeah, I got an sxt!" but...and sxt what? caravan? durango? neon? intrepid? stratus?

Another thing about camaro/firebird owners is that some of them refer to their cars as A4s. I immediately think "Oh, an audi" but alas, no, they're referring to the 460le 4 speed auto

Back in the day - way back - I seem to remember "Z-car" universally meant Datsun 240Z (at least on the left coast). This was generally true, even among the muscle-car types. I even seem to remember (and this is vague, vague) a Car & Driver or Motor Trend article about the Camaro called "The Other Z-Car". Just to add fuel to the fire.

i think he ment S130 (thats right for 280ZX right?)

also i wasnt saying anything bads about Z31's, i love them, i said from 240Z to 350Z.

and wow............ me and Aux are on the same team for once :D, nice.

and Mike, you know im not trying to stereotype you or anybody else, i just think the Z was ment for us Nissan/Datsun cars..

if you remember correctly in the old Z32 300ZX comerciels all you would see is a 300zx driving around and whatever and then you would see the typewriter slam a "Z" in the paper, and thats it.. didnt say anything else.

mike

Guest ZmeFly

By talking bad about the older vettes. The newer vettes are the SHYTE!!!!!

I have to agree with that 100%, I was just thinking in the early 80's, and when they hit there bad spot like Ford did with the 4 cylinder mustangs.

It was a low spot for them

I think the same, Z's are Z's and only mean one thing Datsun, Nissan ONLY!

I have no ill will toward any Z31, I have owned 3 of them, one being my first new car, I put almost 300k on that car.

I certainly did mean Z31, and I am not knocking them either, I simply prefer either earlier model for esthetic purposes and their engines.

If I could fit in a Z32, I'd be doing an LT1/LS! conversion on one of those for everyday driving/road trips!!!!

I hope no-one feels like I was stomping on their toes...