HybridZ

Crossflow head?

lifegrddude

The closest thing to a cross flow L-series that I can think of, (well the easiest route anyhow), is to utilize and entire Nissan RB series engine. The OS Giken heads are cool, but try finding one.

The closest thing to a crossflow Nissan L6 is ............ a crossflow Nissan L6.

All this talk of the O.S. Giken conversion, and no mention of Nissan's own 'LY'?

Tut tut.

The LY is just as if not more elusive than the Giken.

I don't agree. Many, many more 'LY' heads were made by Nissan than OSG made TC24s, and I know of at least ten times more LYs still around in running cars than TC24s today.

I'd rather have the LY any day of the week. What's elusive is the green stuff to pay for them...............

I know of only two TC24B-1 heads that I have personally seen, and laid hands upon.

LY heads, as Alan has mentioned, are much more 'common'...if that word applies.

Seen several of them, turned down the opportunity to buy one for $1000 in 1988 (D'OH), and have a line on three new in box, never been used complete examples that I will be heading to check out very, very soon...

The LY is just too cool, and when it comes down to it, is an OEM head with OEM reliability, and OEM R&D Testing behind it...giving it a 'leg up' in my mind over aftermarket offerings.

Then again, adding to my list of Z-Car Blunders the declination of the LY Purchase was BY FAR not the worst...declining to buy a 432 in 1985 for $3200 using the logic of 'I can get anny Fairlady with a Two-Year Inspection on it for $1800, what makes that one worth 2X as much?!?'

Then, adding insult to injury, I find out the car in question (again offered to me as a TRADE for my 73 240Z straight across) had a Grand-Slam GT-R 2.2 Bore-Up Kit, a set of Mechanical FI cams, as well as several rocekt boxes of spares to include another engine (complete)...well....coulda woulda shoulda... I had already filled out my Governmental Shipping Documents in Triplicate and there was NO WAY they were going to believe I mistakenly put down 'HLS30-156466' that many times as a 'mistake'...

Same guy still owns the 432, and I still own the 73...

I have the elusive green stuff if anyone wants to sell me an LY!!!

I'll hook you up with a head casting, top cover, two rocker shafts, rockers, cam and ancillaries, inlet manifold and some other small bits and pieces. You will be on your own with regard to sourcing the exhaust manifold, pistons, rods, crank & flywheel, valves, valve springs and any other missing bits.

Price is JPY 2,800,000 ( plus 5% commission for me ), and does not include transport cost from Japan ( or Import Duty / Taxes ). I have a factory 'LY' rebuild and tuning manual that I'll throw in for good will.

Show me the green and I'll show you what you get.

:wink:

Edit: Actually, the Japanese 10,000 Yen notes you will need are brown rather than green............ :-)

uh-oh.. Dear BRAAP is "getting soft...." dare I say he is "flip-flopping???"

how are you going to perform on the upcoming Moderator Debates? This may allow others to marinate and skewer you... what might the exit polls show on Primary Day??

tsk, tsk. and I thought we had a "leader..." :rolleyesg

• Administrators
uh-oh.. Dear BRAAP is "getting soft...." dare I say he is "flip-flopping???"

how are you going to perform on the upcoming Moderator Debates? This may allow others to marinate and skewer you... what might the exit polls show on Primary Day??

tsk, tsk. and I thought we had a "leader..." :rolleyesg

Not “flip flopping”, just trying to use humor in such a way to prod this thread from becoming shed fodder. I realize that some times, ok, most of the time, my humor is lacking, dry, or just isn’t funny, this was one of those that “flipped”, then “flopped!” faint.gif

I believe that the reason that this subject continues to reappear is that it seems very hard to believe that in all these years no one developed an aftermarket head for these motors, as popular as they are. It just seems like somebody should have come up with something. But the sad reality is that no one has and were are left to deal with the hand that was given to us.

I believe that the reason that this subject continues to reappear is that it seems very hard to believe that in all these years no one developed an aftermarket head for these motors, as popular as they are.

The market for Datsun 240Z and L6 parts is very small compared to other cars and engines. A manufacturer would be foolish to design and tool up (about a $750,000.00 investment) to produce cylinder heads that 95% of the market couldn't afford.

I believe that the reason that this subject continues to reappear is that it seems very hard to believe that in all these years no one developed an aftermarket head for these motors, as popular as they are. It just seems like somebody should have come up with something. But the sad reality is that no one has and were are left to deal with the hand that was given to us.

You haven't been following the "My official L31DETT Thread" by 1FastZ, have you?

In all this time, though, truthfully, the expense of the DOHC has not been justified in the performance it delivers compared to a properly prepared SOHC head. Just because everybody seems to be doing it, doesn't mean that necessarily it HAS to be done. A properly ported and polished Non-Crossflow Head will allow 320+Hp to the rear wheels on an L28 bored 040" (at least in our case it does, some may make more with larger engines). Exactly how much more performance is needed, and more importantly, at what cost?

Each of the heads proffered: LY, TC24B-1, and Blake Machine L31DETT are all in the $30,000+ range. Are you willing to pay that for

1) 5% increase in breathing, and performance increase

2) Mere Bragging Rights on a "Cool One-Off"?

If you are, I'm sure Bryan can make a head up.

And Alan's price is a BARGAIN! Last one I saw 'sell' on an auction site was bare and $4K more!!! So a general area price of $30K for an LY should put you in the ballpark for the incomplete part...

For $10,000 Rebello or SunBelt will make a complete engine that will be competitive on horsepower and drivability scale...leaving you another $20K to spend on a chassis that will competently and easily handle the power you will produce.

So paraphrasing Harry Callahan:

"So you gotta ask yourself, do I want a Head, or to I want the whole package?

And if I want the Head...will I be able to get the rest of the pieces, or only some of them.

And even if I get all of them, will it hold together after all this time?

You gotta ask yourself, do you feel lucky?"

Like someone out of the first scene in "Dirty Harry", some will still say:

"I gotsta know!"

And in manny cases the outcome will be the same:

"DAMN!";)

*******************************************************************************************

On an aside, it's not that they haven't developed an aftermarket head, it's that most simply are ignorant of their existence.

And that they were in existence almost 30 years ago, doesn't help either!

The engine is not all that popular, when you consider total volume production.

The Ford Flathead had all sorts of heads running around, but who today buying their first car would think anything of 'ARDUN' on the head of the old jalopy they just towed out of the cornfield in Bakersfield?

For that matter, Schubeck on SBC?

The stuff is out there, but usually is addresses a serious deficiency in the designs of the original heads. Lacking a serious design flaw...the market dwindles because it's simply easier to make the ports flow what you want than to redesign a whole complex head!