HybridZ

S30 T-Tops?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Not sure if this should be in the chassis forum, or here, but I was looking at some pics of my Z, and wondered if anyone has ever converted an S30 Z to have T-Tops. I know that it would reduce body strength, especially since my car is a 240Z, but I figure a roll cage with a bar down the center between the T-Tops and a bar up front behind the windshield would easily restore strength, or I could just do whatever the fellows are doing that are making convertibles. I dont want a convertible as the rear side window area and the rear of the car just look too nice, but I saw a 280ZX with T-Tops for sale the other day and kinda fell in love with the T-Tops.

Anyone seen this done? Any reason why it couldnt or shouldnt be done? Anyone have any pics?

Nic,

I would think that installing a roll cage like you've described should maintain or possibly even increase the strength of the 240Z unibody. My guess is you'll have more problems getting them to seal. I suppose you could cut them from a wrecked ZX and weld them in, that way the locking and sealing mechanisms are intake and hopefully in good shape. Another thing you could do is analyze the structure used to stiffen the ZX to determine what was added to stiffen it, then reproduce that in the 240, although I think the roll cage is a better idea.

On a different subject. I noticed that your wrecked Z had Enki rims. I have the same rims but gold anodized rather than black. I'm missing several of the plastic center caps, do you have them, are you interested in selling them and if so what would you want for them?

Ken W.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
On a different subject. I noticed that your wrecked Z had Enki rims. I have the same rims but gold anodized rather than black. I'm missing several of the plastic center caps' date=' do you have them, are you interested in selling them and if so what would you want for them?

Ken W.[/quote']

Mine were gold too, they are just painted. I have two of the center caps, the other two disappeared. At least I think I still have two, I havent checked since the wreck, I know for sure I have one. I need to try my hand at finding replacement wheels first. If I can find replacement enkei's I will probably keep the caps.

Guest bastaad525

I saw a pic a long time ago... I think it was a 280z not a 240... actually I think it was a magazine article or ad, for datsun factory installed T-tops.

Dan' date='

Do you guys have these links bookmarked?

:-D:?:[/quote']

That's the real sad part Doug, I don't. It took me about five minutes to do a search in the Body and Paint forum with the word "t-top" to come up with several hits. I then just quickly scanned the ones that looked promising and posted them. Anyone could do it just as quickly, and I have dial-up. So I'm begining to understand those guys here that get frustrated when people won't do a search for themselves. No hit on you Nic. I read your posts and I rarely see you asking questions that have been covered completely already. And if you've read some of my posts you know I razz the "do a search!" crowd every once in a while. Some guys whip that out on a new guy fast and cold and it makes this place look pretty unfriendly. That's the thing that gets me iritated. If you are going to tell a new guy to do a search them welcome him first, offer a little hint at what he can find, and them encourage him to search for himself. This place is a rare oasis in an internet of mean conceited people. I don't want to see that change.

Wow, I went off more than I expected. Anyway, to get back on topic this caught attention because I have an interrest in t-tops and targa tops on the S30. You'll find my posts in those threads I listed. I love covertables and I love the looks of the S30. But I don't care for S30 convertables. When you cut the top off one it just seems to lose all it sexy looks, JMHO. This is why the t-top/targa top idea gets my juices going. Someday I'd like to dabble at trying to make a targa top work on an S30.

Im with Dan; the Z looks .. wrong as a convertable.. kind of reminds me of an Alfa spider.. but uglyer.. Id go for a ZX convertable.. they seam to pull it off better IMO. But the T-top's (if I remember corectly) were actually sold aftermarket for the original Z's and I think it would look good.

Dan,

Good words on the new guy/search issue. Customer service works great for this type of organization, too, as evidenced by all the helpful postings by you and everyone else here. Thanks also for the kind words wrt me in another thread. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!

Anyway, main reason for putting in my 0.02 is that I have considered for some time doing a "lift out/pop up" roof a la RX7. Once saw one on a Z car that came through a salvage auction and am still kicking myself for letting it get away. I could have had the whole running car for $500 and I thought that was too much!

For those of you considering T-tops or Targa tops, a roof like I'm describing would preserve all the important metal that surrounds the door opening and contributes to chassis stiffness. I think it would be a very cool look, too.

It's a project I may never get around to doing, but I'd be happy to share helpful thoughts or a helping hand (in the local area) for anyone who wants to attempt it. Or, if someone with a few bucks wants to actually pay me to do it, I'll consider moving it up on my to-do list!

I also have a local friend in the sliding ragtop business. It would be pretty easy to get him to modify one of his existing tops to fit a Z if anyone is interested. May be a bit too vintage looking for the Z, but then again...

A little off topic: I just acquired as part of a weekend worth of trading a 1984 convertible Z31 done by R. Straman. I had thoughts of splashing it and tooling up a new product line until Keri slapped me and reminded me that I want to get OUT of this business:)

Anyway, if anyone is interested I'm going to eBay it if I can't find a member of the Z family to take care of it. Check it out at http://www.reactionresearch.com/misc/straman/index.html

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
For those of you considering T-tops or Targa tops, a roof like I'm describing would preserve all the important metal that surrounds the door opening and contributes to chassis stiffness. I think it would be a very cool look, too.

The problem with that style is that you dont have the same open look and feel when the windows are down and the top is off. You have a beam going right through the open air space. What I am going for is to have it completely open, except for the center support.