HybridZ

L28et Potential Part two(stock componants)

Phyte

I've made the decision to just start out with a all stock L28et for my 260. Once I get the motor in I'll start upgrading from there. Whats the RWHP limit I can expect from all stock componants, except for a boost controller? Can I expect 220-240rwhp with a good tune? Once I get used to driving the car with this combo I'll start the upgrade process.

Thanks

Phyte

220rwhp is a cake walk... well, you will likely need an intercooler though.

Great! IC will be the first upgrade, then boost controller. How much boost with upgraded fuel and IC can the stock turbo's realiably put out? 12? 15? I guess what I'm asking is what is the limit of the stock computer and injectors? Sorry for all the noob questions. Search is hosed.

Phyte

I've made the decision to just start out with a all stock L28et for my 260. Once I get the motor in I'll start upgrading from there. Whats the RWHP limit I can expect from all stock componants' date=' except for a boost controller? Can I expect 220-240rwhp with a good tune? Once I get used to driving the car with this combo I'll start the upgrade process.

Thanks

Phyte[/quote']

Just a boost controller? 9-10 psi boost, about 180-200 rwhp I should think. Upgrade the fuel pump, that's cheap insurance and a no-brainer.

phyte, i run 20psi boost on my bone stock motor,upgraded fuel system, and t3t4 (60-1) turbo, also fmic

What type of numbers are you putting down? Are you running the stock computer? Surely not? I've got about 4k to spend on the motor, and I want to do it right the first time. This car is my daily, so its not going to be raced(much :D) and I don't need crazy hp numbers. I had a 69 firebird that dyno'd 416, and that was a little too much for a daily :D

Phyte

My z made 388rwhp running the stock ECU, larger injectors with a modified stck turbo AFM. This was very lean and definately not safe but never the less it did make it. The car made 340rwhp for several years fairly safely with the same setup. It also obviously had other parts such as the larger turbo and intercooler to make the power but was made with an untouched 160k mile shortblock straight out of the junkyard, ported p90 head with stock cam, stock exhaust and intake manifolds. You can make decent power from the stock stuff but if you can afford a stand-alone I would definately recommend it.

JT

My z made 388rwhp running the stock ECU' date=' larger injectors with a modified stck turbo AFM. This was very lean and definately not safe but never the less it did make it. The car made 340rwhp for several years fairly safely with the same setup. It also obviously had other parts such as the larger turbo and intercooler to make the power but was made with an untouched 160k mile shortblock straight out of the junkyard, ported p90 head with stock cam, stock exhaust and intake manifolds. You can make decent power from the stock stuff but if you can afford a stand-alone I would definately recommend it.

JT[/quote']

Now thats what I like to hear :) 340rwhp is more then plenty for my application. I'll be happy with 300.. well for a few weeks anyway :)

Phyte

My z made 388rwhp running the stock ECU' date=' larger injectors with a modified stck turbo AFM. This was very lean and definately not safe but never the less it did make it. The car made 340rwhp for several years fairly safely with the same setup. It also obviously had other parts such as the larger turbo and intercooler to make the power but was made with an untouched 160k mile shortblock straight out of the junkyard, ported p90 head with stock cam, stock exhaust and intake manifolds. You can make decent power from the stock stuff but if you can afford a stand-alone I would definately recommend it.

JT[/quote']

Now thats what I like to hear :) 340rwhp is more then plenty for my application. I'll be happy with 300.. well for a few weeks anyway :)

Phyte

My 300rwhp is more than satisfying. I know there are faster cars somewhere out on the road, but I haven't run into one yet. :D

I've been happy with the power level all year, but hopefully soon I can find the funds to swap out my cylinder head, and maybe run up the boost some more on the dyno. 350rwhp here I come...

Guest bastaad525

With a bone stock motor and EFI, only mods were a do-it-yourself boost controller for about $10 and a blow-off valve from a 1st gen Eclipse, I put down 199rwhp @ 5200rpm and 234 lb ft @ 4100rpm, though I think it's more like 194rwhp since it seemed to spike for some reason right at the very end of the test, and my two subsequent pulls were at 194. Here's the link to my old thread if you want to see the scans of my dyno sheets:

http://hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29183&highlight=

This is w/o an intercooler, and if you look at the scans you'll see that it actually stayed pretty rich and safe (a little TOO rich) on the stock fuel system until about 5000rpm where it suddenly starts to lean out pretty rapidly. This is most likely due to the stock ZXT fuel pump hitting it's limit. With a better fuel pump (next upgrade on my list) I probably could have got a bit higher HP peak as you can see the torque started to drop off right at the same time as the fuel goes lean, and the power should peak at more like 5500rpm which I guess is where the stock head becomes the restriction and/or also the stock turbo. So if the fuel weren't falling off after 5000rpm it should keep pulling. Also I have a sucky 2.5" crush bent exhaust which is surely limiting the top end also. Anyways the dyno runs were at 9.5-10.5psi and there was no sign of ping (which usualy shows up as a very erratic graph on the dyno). With fuel pump and intercooler installed I should be able to come close to 240rwhp at like 12-13psi of boost.

Guest bastaad525

Oh and the stock turbo itself is really working hard and not being really efficient at anything more than 10psi. 12-13psi is pushing it... I think anything higher than that you are putting serious strain on the turbo and shortening it's life, though I've heard of guys running 15-18psi on them. Bone stock EFI is said to be able to safely support up to ~250rwhp but again if anything the fuel pump upgrade and intercooler are a MUST to hit that power level. Also most likely a better downpipe and exhaust will be needed to hit that level. This makes for a seriously fast car in a 240 with only ~2300lbs to push around, you should be running mid or low 13 second 1/4 miles or 0-60mph in around 5 seconds flat. This is also about the point that traction starts to become a serious problem and that's partially why I'm not aiming at trying to get much more power than this. ~210rwhp is probably the limit you can hit w/o an intercooler and is what I expect to put down after I upgrade the fuel pump alone.

But what can teh diff and BW handle...

I will be running 15PSi boost on the stock turbo IC BOV 370CC injectors 2+2 flywheel and clutch on BW t5, a r200 3.364 LSD how much can it hanle, im looking for 270 rwhp first, when i burn the turbo i'll go T04 and Megasquirt so what can it handle

Guest Rusty260z

This is a really helpful post.....by the looks of it....one could push around 220rwhp with about 2-2.5k in the swap alone. This is what I'm aiming at myself. The rest of the car will be completely done...and thats everything from brakes, suspension to doing the cv swap on a 77 r200. This is great and what I was hoping for....I wanted the turbo swap...but didn't know if I could have it working for a daily driver for the 2k. Looks like I can afterall. Thanks phyte for the post and everyone's comments on their own setups.

i have the stock engine internals, intake,cam,efi system,Dunno my hp cuz i haven't dyno'd it but i run 12.38@114mph in a 280z :) I have 420cc injs and a 2.5"ss dp also.I run a hybrid turbo but i did manage high 12's with the stock turbo dp and with 370cc injs.These engines are very strong i can definately vouch for that even with me detonating alot and breaking three pistons i haven't messed up the cyl walls.Even after putting miles on it after it broke.

• 8 months later...