HybridZ

Show me your tail!!!!

Mikelly

I"m looking for rear spoiler ideas... The car will be stock body, no flares, no Gnose (Thanks LES :evil: ) and have tires tucked under the wheels... Still haven't decided on the rear bumper/ no rear bumper yet, but I've pretty much settled on the front spoiler I'm gonna use, which is the one I had on the previous car... Looking for pics of rear spoilers for ideas!

Mike :D

I'm in the process of getting newer pictures of this (my old z) car for RacerX. This rear spoiler far and away provided better comments on its design than anything else I built for the Z. It starts about 7" below the hatch on the ends of the quarters, and sweeps up and aft much as the 250GTO rear spoiler does. It is a 3 piece spoiler that has the end pieces bolted onto the quarters, and the center onto the hatch. This is a poor scanned polaroid, but I've been allowed to photograph all my old bodywork on this car as soon as I can remember to carry my camera when I'm in the neighborhood of the car.

standard.jpg

Which design is the most FUNCTIONAL? That's what I wanna know, might help Mike out too. I always wondered if the whale tail or the big duck tail spoiler like Porsche 911's have can actually produce a decent amount of downforce, and it seems like the aero drag cost is pretty high to do it, especially the duck tail. Terry? Anyone?

BTW Terry, that red car does look awesome. Eye candy for sure. So does the current project.

Jon

Jared, Sent you a pm. Thanks for the complement.

Jon. From everything I have read the spoiler on the back can actually improve the aerodynamics (less drag) and provide down force. You cant see it from the photo but, on the spoiler I am making the working surface of the wing goes from the hatch to almost vertical. The sides work as end plates. I made it for funtion first and then blended it in to the body. It looks pretty good on the 2+2. Doesnt make it look so fat the the ass.

Usually if you just add a wing you get more downforce and a increase in drag. I would love to put it into a wind tunnel to see yow it works but i think tell tales and a camera will have to do.

Cheers

Douglas

Which design is the most FUNCTIONAL? I always wondered if the whale tail or the big duck tail spoiler like Porsche 911's have can actually produce a decent amount of downforce, and it seems like the aero drag cost is pretty high to do it, especially the duck tail...Jon

Jon, the whale tails provide about 200 lbs (or more) of force on the rear I was told. And yes, I have to agree with you, the duck tail looks like it is too erect--making more drag then downforce, but I'm not an engineer. I would think that a rear spoiler about half way between that pic and horizontal would be about right, like Douglas' design. Also, I'm thinking of a 6 inch width also. The only issue is that it would need supports and that brings you back to a whale tail or a sheetmetal wing like the drag cars have. That may be the way I would go, but I am even thinking about one of those aluminum single wings the ricers use, but mounted almost flush with the hatch, not 10 inches off the back of the car :?

Davy

With regards to the whale tails... I've had two on high speed cars and they work. They work so well that they actually crack at the seems during the high speed runs I've experienced.

I had bought a rear spoiler/ tail light panel similar to what Terry had on his car, and I'd loaned it to Les Heath, along with my Gnose... I would realy like to get that spoiler back. I've never seen another like it.

Mike

I can atest to the fact that even the typical fence type of spoiler works well in downforce. On my red Z posted earlier, I was hauling a few pieces of thin-wall 1/2" counduit. They stuck out the back too far to close the hatch so about a foot of it was left sticking out past the car. At about 80mph, the downforce on the hatch was sufficient enough to push down on a the short amount of lever moment (about 4 inches) to cause the much longer end (about 6 feet at least) to raise up off the floor and hit the bottom of the dash.

standard.jpg

OK guys thanks, appreciate the 1st hand experience. :-D

EDIT--Davy, I know there is a lot of talk about how dumb the ricer wings are, but the proof is in the pudding. I was out watching the American Iron series at an Open Track event, and the fastest stang was a coupe not fastback with a gigantic ricer wing on the back. I know its ugly, but getting it high enough to get clean air has a purpose... don't know if I could stand to drive it on the street though...

Jon

OK guys thanks' date=' appreciate the 1st hand experience. :-D

EDIT--Davy, I know there is a lot of talk about how dumb the ricer wings are, but the proof is in the pudding. I was out watching the American Iron series at an Open Track event, and the fastest stang was a coupe not fastback with a gigantic ricer wing on the back. I know its ugly, but getting it high enough to get clean air has a purpose... don't know if I could stand to drive it on the street though...

Jon[/quote']

HAHAHA! Yeah, if done right they actually work. Most of them you see mounted on Hondas have those spindly looking aluminum mounts, which don't look "right" for the car. I think those wings (not the Folkker Triplane ones) look ok if mounted in a more subtle manner. Some people will hate me when I install mine on my car, but I have to get the V8 installed first to take the punches.

Davy

Yea, What is sad is that I thought I was helping this guy out... I just wanted to assist in getting him and his "Fiberglass parts" operation up and running.

Someone, Somewhere knows where he is... I'd be tickled to death if I came home one day to find the parts sitting in front of my garage...

However, I won't be holding my breath...

Mike 8)

• 4 years later...
I'm in the process of getting newer pictures of this (my old z) car for RacerX. This rear spoiler far and away provided better comments on its design than anything else I built for the Z. It starts about 7" below the hatch on the ends of the quarters, and sweeps up and aft much as the 250GTO rear spoiler does. It is a 3 piece spoiler that has the end pieces bolted onto the quarters, and the center onto the hatch. This is a poor scanned polaroid, but I've been allowed to photograph all my old bodywork on this car as soon as I can remember to carry my camera when I'm in the neighborhood of the car.

standard.jpg

Hi Terry I agree it adds great lines to car .Do you know who built it ? Thats what I've been looking for. Thanks Gary