HybridZ

Front Spoiler reinforcement 240

John Scott

Search function isn't working for me. Just ordered a "classic" BRE rear spoiler. Always liked the look. Now for the front. Looking at the minmal mounting points of the 72 air dams, flopping flexing seems inevitable. Don't want to go with a 74+ style. I like the look of the 50-1685 MSA. Anyone sucessfully reinforced this or other air dams? Really tried them at high speeds? I'm through with the 160+mph runs, but would like to know they'll still be attached if I did.

John

I think Auxilary has reinforced his.

I have a "Flex Dam" which had a rubber skirt, and I was unaware that it was flapping up when I was going 90+. Someone watching me on the front straight at Buttonwillow informed me, and I switched out the rubber skirt for plastic lawn edging which solved my problems.

Jon

One more thing since David brought it up. On my ex-bosses widebody Porsche it was necessary to reinforce the fiberglass, so they used 3/8" aluminum fuel line. They just cut to length, pinched the ends, and drilled holes for riveting the flares to the fuel line and the fuel line to the tub. That worked for 150+ mph with race weight (thin) flares, but his air dam was just a modified stock 911 air dam. I think this would work for a fiberglass air dam, but probably not a urethane since it is already less rigid and much heavier.

Jon

I plan on taking a sheet of aluminum, and cutting it the same profile as the front of the airdam. Rivet it to the bottom of the airdam lip every 1-2", and leave it protrude ~1" as a chin splitter. (this whole sheet would be parallel to the ground surface) I am going to run it back as far as seems suitable, likely to the front crossmember and rivet/dzus fastener it in place there. It may end up being two pieces for me, one riveted front section, and another dzus fastner section from the rad crossmember back, so that it can be easily removeable for maintenance.

I think the majority of the distortion from the airdam is fore and aft, and this would certainly make a large difference, as well as getting the benefit from the chin splitter, and the small undertray. Who knows when I'll get a chance to do it though.

On my fiberglass airdam, I extended the 'throat' of it by adding a 'sheet' of fiberglass which now extends the underside of the airdam all the way back to the radiator support. This was done mainly to keep the incoming airflow through the radiator, but also has the added benefit of giving the spoiler more strength. If the airflow tries to buckle it back, it will just press against the radiator support and won't move at all.

Here is what I mean: (the black line is drawn on electronically to show the original end point of the airdam):

fb6cf0ea.jpg

Tim

Home Depot sells flat aluminum in 6ft lengths. If is about 1/2 to 1 inch wide. That is what I used on my MSA front clip. One on either side and one in the middle.

Nice work Tim! What did you use on the mesh grill to give it that ring around the outside diameter? It looks like it came on the car from the factory.

Thanks for all the replies. Got the rusty gears turning in my head. I fretted for about a month before I picked the BRE rear. Visions of waxing that new Vette on a top end run would surley dictate a big ol whale tail, but reality says I don't need to go that fast in a 32 year old Z, besides imo, the BRE looks better. Can't really decide on the front. MSA says the fiberglass isn't super clean and some prep will be in order. Any other sources for good quaility front air dams?

John