HybridZ

"Fly Yellow" and other yellows close?

Brad-ManQ45

I have seen the following pics/sets of pics of a yellow I would like for my '75 when I finally get around to painting, but can't find it anywhere:

"Fly Yellow"

http://www.directcon.net/wander/AnsDino.html

Unknown and having a hard time tracking it down:

http://www.geocities.com/mr_fireman_sam/jackz/index.html

"Sunflower Yellow" was a '72 Vette color...but seeing pictures of cars and looking at the paint chips aren't close...

What I am looking for is something that is not as hard a yellow - very bright/light - almost electric when in the sun.

Even a slight hint of green would work as opposed to the "Chrome Yellow" that some Mustangs had and the yellow in later Corvettes.

"Saturn Yellow" was a color of the old VW Beetle that I remember was pretty vivid...

Can anyone help in finding how to get these colors? Links to pics?

Thanks,

Brad

Hi, one of the nicest Z's I saw was stock bodied with a corvett yellow (I believe 1980 or so). It was clean, simple and plain gorgeous (no excess white or red tone and not excessively bright, just a perfect classy shade of yellow). Unfortunately I dont know if it was called sunflowr or not. But if they ran the same yellow for those years, then I strongly recommend it.

Strotter - yours looks pretty close - you happen to know what year(s) that color was used? Can you send me some pics?

t-tom - I have been looking at this one too. I'll have to look for some VW's I guess...

Afshin - I've seen the chips for Sunflower Yellow and they don't come close to the pictures I've seen.

'78 'vettes had a Bright Yellow that looks close.

Thanks everyone.

Guest freakypainter

there is a 3-stage yellow on the Honda S2000 that is awesome, aslo, paint chips can be very deceiving, especially inside under flourescent lights.

i love yellow - my favorite color - but i don't like most of the ones i see on cars. too pale, too bronze, etc. my favorite right now is the corvette racing yellow, found on the '90,93-96 models. I believe the late model corvette yellow is the same color, or very similar (called millenium yellow).

here's a link to an '03 millenium yellow corvetter for sale on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6168&item=2456961035

link to '95 competition yellow vette

http://www.rogerscorvette.com/spots/sep03/spot.htm?PHPSESSID=8762f62f8319884695d07d87cfa71712

Thanks guys.

That Millenium yellow is just too hard for me - I want one of the brighter/paler yellows like an early/mid 70's vette or the Ferrari Dino.

Anything with too much orange/red is too hard for my tastes.

Actually, if you go to the following link you'll see the Sunspot Yellow that so far has come closest.

http://autocolorlibrary.com/cgi-bin/search/searchpic.pl?1974-pontiac-pg02.jpg

This has some of the PPG color charts online - supposedly getting Euro car charts all the way back to the 40's/50's eventually - then I'll be able to find the Ferrari color....

Guest Zachb55

i was thinking of going with Ferrari Fly Yellow, but when my supplier looked up the price, i decided i would go with something a bit more on the not-over-$300-a-gallon side of things... :shock: so i ended up with a generic Corvette yellow named respectively. Good thing too, because i ended up using two gallons of paint!!! lol, it was my first time, be easy on me. also, another hint, yellow really doesnt cover well, i would highly suggest looking into white or tan primers, i would definately go that route next time, and would have this time but i was going to paint blue originally, its a long story though... good luck with finding a nice color. you could always get someone to color match it. probably wouldnt be much cheaper though.

-Zach

• 1 month later...
Guest Ron BOLIN

i painted a 74 nova 75 corvette yellow, i bought the paint from macco it was a poly urathene enamel. it looked very nice. check out the paint samples.be sure to get aclear coat to go on it

I painted my z the 70s corvette yellow and really was not happy with the color. The paint job got damaged during a move. I am now adding ground effects spoiler and side vents. I really think that the new mustang yellow will be the next paint job when I am finished with the body.

Check out my Z in the post - "Just finished my Z" - I used 2003 Viper Race Yellow. It is a very solid bright yellow, mine is a little softer than standard Viper Yellow because I buried it under four coats of clear with heavy gold pearl. The paint was over $300 a gal. in Dupont basecoat/clearcoat, but was only $165.00 in Sherwin/Williams basecoat. So it pays to shop around.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Man, I'm no even close - just got the rotisserie built,a nd am sanding/ospho-ing/painting it. (I do have a couple of additions to weld/clean/paint that will allow me to use a couple of bottle jacks to jack the car up once mounted on the rotisserie that I have to finish, but these are extra pieces that aren't absolutely necessary)

I will then have to figure out how to mount the car to the rotisserie, remove the interior and lights/front fenders (seats, engine, tranny and gas tank out already) in order to weld in floor pans/subchassis connectors.

Will follow your advise on Zero Rust for underbody and interior. Some have ridiculed me at the thought of using the 3M undercoating, saying it will eventually crack, and to use bedliner type on the underside - I am undecided on that part.

Only after all this and interior is done will I start on the outside - and then I'll have the rear Qtr to put on and driprails to remove. Fortunately the body is straight - not even many small dents! (of course, when I strip down to metal it may be a different story!!!)

I have seen the Lemon Drop DuPont Hot Color and liked it...

The Mazda (at least on the website) looks too dark - I want one that is almost flourescent.

I swear I saw a Z on SpeedVision or Spike last year that looked great - I think it used to be Mr. K's car, and the lady that was his secretary now has it (I think). It was a bright yellow with just a tinge of green to it.

I need to charge my digital camera and take a picture of a pen that has a color that is close...