HybridZ

new straight 6 swap? ford XR6T

Mack

I was browsing some Aussie car sites and happened upon the ford falcon XR6T. damn. 4.0L straight 6, 24valve DOHC, cam phasing on intake and exhaust, roller followers. ball bearing turbo. something retarded like 322hp at 6psi. has anyone else looked at this>? is it based on a jaguar or aston marten straight 6? what gives! lol 1613_2mg.jpg

looks pretty sweet. perhaps some of the Aussie guys can chime in?

McAdam

Went fot a ride in one the other day. It scoots. The engine is the the latest version of the old Aussie straight six. They have been making it since the sixties at least. I think its actually based on a US design. Ford made a 250 ci straight six didnt they? It doesnt rev high but has a ton of grunt. I think it lighter that a v8 as well. Not shure about that though. The motoring writers always seem to prefer the handeling of the six to the v8 falcon.

Douglas

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sockz

Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo recently became the fastest 4 door sedan in Australia with a 10 second quartermile and a top speed of around 307 km/h. In a *mildly modified* state.

They come with about 350 hp on 6-7 psi stock, from a 4 litre straight six with a Garret GT35-45 (i think it is) on the side.

One of the local tuning boys (Hello Steve!) is currently making 510 rwhp natural, and about 590 rwhp on nitrous oxide. And here's the biggy- I think it's on 9 psi.

• 1 year later...

This engine is looking very attractive to me. I've got a project Z that I'm considering engine options for. In NSW, Australia, a 4.0 litre engine with forced induction is the upper limit of what I can get engineered and road registered (which, of course, compels me to want to put a 4.0 litre forced induction engine in my 240z).

Up until recently I had been thinking I would get a 1UZFE lexus V8 into her and then supercharge it...

However, the potential of the ford 6 has got me thinking twice... I might have to get some measurements.

Check out the Ford Territory (Australian SUV) which Nizpro have put one of these motors in:

http://www.nizpro.com.au/outlaw_terror_main.html

Also check the site for some of the most developed XR6T engines so far.

As for as cost goes, i have seen crate motors pop up on ebay.com.au, not as prohibitive as you would think when you consider its a brand new motor.

Check out the Ford Territory (Australian SUV) which Nizpro have put one of these motors in:

http://www.nizpro.com.au/outlaw_terror_main.html

Also check the site for some of the most developed XR6T engines so far.

As for as cost goes' date=' i have seen crate motors pop up on ebay.com.au, not as prohibitive as you would think when you consider its a brand new motor.[/quote']

I believe Nizpro have made upto 900kw from these engines with much development. There is always lots about the development of the XR6 T's in Zoom magizine.

Guest grimlynsan

bone stock they are whisper quiet too. my friend had one when they came out. i didn't realise it was turned on until he started moving forward. (i was outside the car)

Apparently Ford had to reduce the power of the XR6T because it was beating the XR8 (V8) and that wouldnt sit too well with all the born and bread V8 Ford drivers. An old mate of mine test drove both and decided to supercharge the BA XR8 instead of working the 6 because you can get similar power safer with the V8. Last time i spoke to him he was pulling 380rwkw and waiting for the BOSS-EDIT ECU mod - it *was* a nice car but he didnt do the suspension and he gutter punched "learning to drift"..... Got it repaired but was never the same.

Its the same friend who sold me my 280zx for $2500 with a new mp3 player / speakers, brakes and RWC, nice guy just too much cash.