HybridZ

Got brake?

My buddy just swapped this kit onto his car. Let's just say I had to push my eyeballs back into their sockets after riding in it. It was god awful expensive but it looks and works great. My friend tracks his car and was tired of warping his 300ZX 4x4 setup so he stepped up and bought what may be the ultimate Z car brake setup.

BTW, all this fits under 16" Panasports with '0' offset, BARELY.

album_pic.php?pic_id=3044

album_pic.php?pic_id=3045

album_pic.php?pic_id=3046

album_pic.php?pic_id=3047

We'll be taking more pics later with the wheels on the car, etc....

Looked again' date=' those pad retainer clips are DEFINITELY Porsche. That's one hell of a system!!! :shock:

Jon[/quote']

Yeah, they're Porsche Big Reds. :shock: was my initial reaction as well. Trust me, these things are amazing.

album_pic.php?pic_id=3051

They're from a shop here in San Jose I believe. I'll try and get more details from my friend. He still hasn't told me how much, but I was spouting numbers like $2K and he kept indicating to go up so I know they're not cheap by any stretch, although for this type of braking I don't believe it would be. Similar kits for more modern cars are easily $3K+ and considering that this is Front AND rear it doesn't seem so bad.

I bet the weight is pretty close to the vented 4x4 setup he took off. Those calipers are surprisingly light, and it is an aluminum hat setup.

I probably wouldn't go that big either, but I don't think the weight penalty is that bad in comparison to what he had before. It could even be lighter.

Jon

Lots of extra unsprung weight. Haven't had a fade problem yet with my little 4 piston Outlaw 2800s' date=' vented 11" front rotor, and solid rear.

Most folks overbuild their brake systems.[/quote']

I would tend to disagree with ya here John. Granted, I don't know the exact weight of each caliper as I wasn't there when my friend installed them but they are aluminum so they should be substantially lighter than the 4x4 setup he had previously and maybe even as light if not lighter than stock. Anyone have weights of these calipers handy? Also, the hats are hard anodized aluminum as well, further reducing the weight although the rotors are fairly thick, but they are the factory cross-drilled setup from Porsche which reduces some of the mass. Irregardless, due to the amount of aluminum and cross-drilling I wouldn't say there is a "lot" of extra unsprung weight if any. Although without hard numbers, this will be an endless debate. Anyone have weights for the 4x4 caliper (S12W), stock rotor and porsche "Big Reds" handy? :D

I also believe that most folks are actually the opposite when it comes to braking as they tend to underbuild their braking system or even worse, neglect it. Also, many people are quick to jump in on Big Brake Kits for the front, but end up completely neglecting the rear (by neglect I am including both the brakes themselves and bias.) I hardly ever see a braking system on modified cars which was intelligently thought through. IMO, most people simply buy what they have seen installed on other cars or magazines based on the fact that "they look cool" and "they work good".

Even if this Porsche "Big Red" setup is indeed overkill, I'd rather have too much brake than not enough. :D