HybridZ

anybody know whats the most HP out of a Turbo L28ET?

Guest ON3GO

microtech is pretty similar to haltech if you run the six coil and external cas setup, allowing for individual cylinder timing and full sequential injection. Havent been able to find too much on microtech, but full bolt on setups are goign to be available soon for the L6. Haltech is almost like wiring up an amp after you get the distributor hooked up and use a MSD as an ignitor. Im taking it slower than I initially was going to go with the haltec install, but it should be done in a few weeks from now.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a new rebuild with stock parts as im really short on cash and couldnt afford the Ross pistons and such.

also im looking into a kit that they use on pro Rally cars that spray water and alcahol (sp?) into the motor so i can run safely on those high boost.

also maybe ill throw a tad of race gas in there but still dont wanna do that.

Alex is throwing a kit together for our L6 motors based on my motor and we gotta test it and take it to the limits. and i believe he can do it and so can our L6..

If you are using stock engine' date=' pistons, rings and such, that makes the setup much more dependant on [b']good fuel management and tuning![/b] Don't be messing with this water/alcohol spray systems - that just makes things more complicated. Just tune a safe air/fuel ratio, keep the intake cool cool cool with a good intercooler and an optimum turbo, and you will have a simple, reliable setup where there are fewer things to screw up and cause damage.

Alex is throwing together a kit?!?! You are talking about zcarsmakemyheadhurt??? What is to be included? I thought you had all you need to proceed; what is Alex selling that you think you need?

alex is building my motor to what he knows works. i told him my HP goals and on what parts i can afford. i told him i want the car to be 100% streetable and my daily driver.. so it needs to hold up. from speaking to ther people that have delt with him and even seeing some of the cars he helped work on or build im 100% happy and sure he will match and beat my hopes for this motor. He was gonna set me up with a Haltech but he was looking to make some EMS setups for us Z guys because he knows its hard and touch for us to get great aftermarket parts that really just "bolt up".. thats why he is going with the microtech. I have spoke to tuners all across the States like Nitrous Express, Rotory tuners and so on and so on and all of them have used Microtech and swear by them. over the internet and world mircotech has never had anything but great reviews. Alex will be using my Z and even his new 75 280Z that he just bought as a test bed on a few of his parts and tune's. Its really not like he needs to test anything, he has been building L6's for awhile now and he knows what he is doing so i feel safe with my motor in his hands.

both my Z and his Z will be sporting the Mircotechs and then after that he will provide kits that bolt right up and also 300HP, 400HP, and so on kits that will bolt up to any L6 motor.. maybe even L24's and so on.

ill try and get him to join in on this thread.

thanks guys.

mike

Yeah, microtech is very very nice. Heart is stuck on haltech though, just because I know pretty well how to get the sucker running and somewhat understand the tuning procedures for it. I have lower hp goals I guess, 300rwhp daily, maybe a race tune map but I will be happy with a consistent 300hp and see what breaks.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

You know I've been participating on this board for a little bit and I can tell you this much. Talking about it sucks. April time I hope to fill in some blanks with a nice web-site, and yes there is a buy in for Microtech EFI systems (Sleeper). When I have these in stock they wont be so cheap and I will be tayloring parts for Datsun owners.

Alex Costa

Costa Speed & Performance

727-233-0603

well i have all stock motor,rods, pistons,cam,head and my car makes some good power with the stock electronics and pump gas(94 octane).I do have a t3/t4e hybrid turbo .70 a/r on the compressor and a 60-1 wheel in it.According to the hp calculator i have about 320 to the wheels and about 400 at the crank this is estimated but i used a good hp cal that used weight ,speed and et not just one.I run street tires too no slicks my best et so fat with a bad launch was 12.38@114mph.I want to see how much the stock bottom end will handle before going up on me.I think you can do it and won't cost to much.

well i have all stock motor,rods, pistons,cam,head and my car makes some good power with the stock electronics and pump gas(94 octane).I do have a t3/t4e hybrid turbo .70 a/r on the compressor and a 60-1 wheel in it.According to the hp calculator i have about 320 to the wheels and about 400 at the crank this is estimated but i used a good hp cal that used weight ,speed and et not just one.I run street tires too no slicks my best et so fat with a bad launch was 12.38@114mph.I want to see how much the stock bottom end will handle before going up on me.I think you can do it and won't cost to much.

How much psi are you running?

Clifton

You guys act like 400 WHP is easy to come by' date=' and well its not. Jeff made over 400 to the wheels, but he has a stroker, and headwork, including a camshaft.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but you need a good turbo, good fuel management, and very good tuning to get there, especially on pump. Jeff was using "some" race fuel if I believe. So was I.

Spend some money, port the exhaust manifold, 60mm tb, a mild cam, headwork, and good efi and turbo, and you should be able to get there.[/quote']

Very true.

I'd just add to this that the biggest problem I see with a stock block is the cast pistons and the strength of their ring lands. I do believe that it's possible to get 400rwhp with those pistons, but I strongly believe that it will be VERY difficult to get there without munching a piston or two on the way, especially if you haven't done it before.

Just out of curiosity, what does this guy teach?

ed. oops - sorry. Didn't see the whole second page of posts. :oops: Still relevant, though.

he teaches Hot Rod' date=' and GM driveablity.

mike[/quote']

...'nuff said.

Seems like kind of a one-dimensional curriculum - are you paying this school to teach you a trade? Like it or not, imports are the new Hot Rods, and that's an awfully big market to just write off as a POS because it isn't an SBC. :roll:

Guest ON3GO

oh i know.. yeah going for my ASE credits..

i know Imports are the new hot rods.. he was like a V8 will always be a true hot rod. i started to laugh... i then told him read up on his history, the true hot rods were never V8's, because back in the day A LONG TIME AGO, kids would be fixing up straigt 6's and what not, as thats all they had. he said "yeah right" so i brought the HOT ROD magazine into school and showed him there little write up on it. yep.. he shut his mounth.

mike

• 8 months later...

Yeah, your teacher is full of crap. I'm running 18psi @ ~ 362 rwhp with a T04. I haven't been comfortable enough with the tune to turn it up as high as it'll go, but it will go to 25psi in the current configuration!

I strongly recommend 98 octane or better gas to make sure you don't burn a piston or blow out a head gasket. I don't run anything but 100 octane, but it's also not my daily driver so $5/gallon fill-ups don't happen very often.

I'm gonna do some more tuning on the dyno and get it tuned up to 400rwhp. I know it will do more than that! It's a 3.1L with T04, IC, MSD, KV85's, forged pistons, scat billet crank, race preped N42 head on F54 block, stainless valves and 3.9 R200 Quaife LSD.

With the right tuning, yours can do it too. Make that ass eat his words.

Let us know how it goes.

WW

Yeah' date=' your teacher is full of crap. I'm running 18psi @ ~ 362 rwhp with a T04. I haven't been comfortable enough with the tune to turn it up as high as it'll go, but it will go to 25psi in the current configuration!

I strongly recommend 98 octane or better gas to make sure you don't burn a piston or blow out a head gasket. I don't run anything but 100 octane, but it's also not my daily driver so $5/gallon fill-ups don't happen very often.

I'm gonna do some more tuning on the dyno and get it tuned up to 400rwhp. I know it will do more than that! It's a 3.1L with T04, IC, MSD, KV85's, forged pistons, scat billet crank, race preped N42 head on F54 block, stainless valves and 3.9 R200 Quaife LSD.

With the right tuning, yours can do it too. Make that ass eat his words.

Let us know how it goes.

WW[/quote']

well this was a old post but glad to see ppl still read it..

the Z i was talking about still hasnt made its way to Houston yet, but it doesnt have a stock internal motor nor anything the same but the microtech ems.

i did build another Z with a L28ET on a very low budget and dyno'ed it and showed that teacher. he was VERY impressed and hasnt said shit yet to me since i gave him a ride, beat his friends camaro, and dyno'ed it a few times.. and i was running pretty much junkyard parts.

mike

Sorry dude! Ever since the board migration, the Date/Time stamps have all been messed up, I wasn't able to tell when the thread was originally posted.

I just updated my profile and removed my original php date format string and everything's straightened out now...

Glad to hear you put him in his place. By the way, my dad was one of those original hot rodders. 1939 Ford with a flat head 6 and he was smokin'em all over town in San Diego.

Cheers,

WW

. By the way' date=' my dad was one of those original hot rodders. 1939 Ford with a flat head 6 and he was smokin'em all over town in San Diego.

Cheers,

WW[/quote']

right on dude!

i so wanna build a rat rod of that era!

might sometime soon.

but ya its okay, its a good thread ppl can learn from it!

but ya im glad i put the teacher in his place, ill do it again once i put the new motor in the blue Z and go dyno tune the car on the dyno at school..

gotta see if i can use somebodys LM-1... cough... chris :D

mike

• 3 weeks later...