HybridZ

Tranny for High HP (400HP+) L Series

Guest godspeed_racing

Guest godspeed_racing

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has a high horsepower/torque L series 6 - I want to know what kind of tranny setup you have used to handle the extra power (400HP and above).

Thanks.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a BW, and supposedly, you can send it to G force technology and they can fix it up.

James has the stuff needed to adapt a GM OD auto in there, if you need it.

JeffP just put a tremec in his.

Probably the easiest thing to do is get G force to do the BW 5 speed.

Guest vodkaboy

i have heard of people geting a T5 case from the 280ZXs, and removing the weak 280ZX T5 internals, and throwing in some mustang/camaro T5 internals... suposidly holds a bit of power, ill see if i can dig up any links when i get home

400 hp? What is Javier building for you Hiten?

4 speeds

Jerico RR4 $3200

Jerico WC4 $3100

Jerico WC4-4 $4200

Hewland MVE NC500 $7500

5 speeds

Jerico 5S-RR $5500

Weismann $10500

Quaife Rocketbox $5500

Hewland MVE STA 200 - $12700

Guest godspeed_racing

Javier is building me a normally aspirated motor, based on an L28. He threw a few things out about what he might do, but he is still working through it. I set the target at 400Hp or better, normally aspirated, and he feels it is doable with all the modern technology now available. While I like turbos, I wanted a different challenge - something to really get Javier excited. He is, and I saw his brian cranking as we set the targets. He will sell some limited runs of parts he develops for the durability of a high revving L6, and I will let you guys know what he comes up with.

I looked into the J-Co trannys. The 4spd will fit in the Z without modifying the tunnel, but I want a 5spd. The 5 spd will need tunnel mods, and so I started down the T5 and possibly T56 route. I hope to learn from this list, as my bone stock Z will soon be undergoing change.

I set the target at 400Hp or better, normally aspirated, and he feels it is doable with all the modern technology now available.

A lot of folks would be very impressed if this happened. He needs to generate the numbers on a SAE calibrated engine dyno if he wants anyone like Dave and Jim to believe him.

godspeed_racing,

Not that I don't wish you the best, but I'm not sure anyone has EVER gotten 400 crank HP out of an N/A L28. I think roughly 300HP is what most people who put out the big bucks get without a turbo. If Javier can do it he'll probably get some serious follow-on business. Best of luck.

Sincerely,

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

That does not seem to be within the realm of possibility.

I mean look at the new M3 Inline 6 3.2L.

It has virtually every possible modern technology known to the mas production automotive world and an 8000 rpm redlineand yet it "only" makes 333 HP.

I just don't see how this guy could pull 400 HP out of a bored and stroked Z engine UNLESS of course you are going for a 15:1 CR and plan on running straight 115 octane racing gas.

However, you would be hard pressed to drive it in traffic as a daily driver.

later,norm

Guest godspeed_racing

Like all of you, I too am waiting to see what we accomplish. It is a goal, and a pretty lofty one at that. JG generally does not do too many Z motors any more, but this was too tempting to see if it can be accomplished, and to determine how far we can reliably push the L28 block based motor. I like an engine builder who is not afraid to try. Another goal is high revving and durable - the belief is that it is not possible with a stroker crank, with any longevity. Realistically, I'll be happy if it is 350HP, as it will start to dispell the belief that the L6 cannot get up there. Regardless, it should put out very good power, and this project should be a lot of fun, which is the most important part.

The WC or GForce T5 would probaly be more durable than the Nissan one, especially for drag launches. I am looking for a synchro setup, so the car can be driven on the street (ocassionally as the gas price here in CA is rocketing up).

Hiten

Guest godspeed_racing

It is going into a street car - that will probably see some track time (time trial - no fender banging). I have a race chassis also, and it is quite possible, after the I know the charactersitics of the motor, that I may put it there for a thrill. However, as my goal is to push the limits of the motor, I will have to see where it ends up in terms of classification for racing. It will be pump gas on the street (probably 76's 104 octane), and race gas at the tracks.

At the end of the day, I will not be holding JG to any unreasonable expectations - the real motivation is just to see what he can do with an old motor and new technology.

Hiten

In order to get close the the hp you want, the head work and cam required will make it peaky regardless of new technology. Not trying to talk you out of it just don't want you to end up with a 350hp motor 8.5k that doesn't come on till 5k like a 350hp GT2 motor, wouldn't be fun on the street. I would talk to a few people that have a similar set up, Rebello, Malvern, ect. Also if it will run on pump on the street there would be no benifit to useing race gas at the track.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnkondo-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp%2Fhyoushi.htm

here is a good site from japan, the tunner is called shake down. I do believe they will have some usfull parts for your L6 build up, including a timing tensioner that will let you rev to 13,000rpm!

tbs

including a timing tensioner that will let you rev to 13,000rpm

Well, all the rods, the crank, some pistons, the flywheel, and the harmonic balancer will have all left the engine compartment at a tick over 9,000 rpm, but you'll be able to proudly point to your 13,000 rpm chain tensioner and impress your friends.

FYI... got a call from Sunbelt today and my 3L NA motor is now making double digits north of my original 305 hp and 257 ft lbs numbers.