HybridZ

Wheel debate... opinions wanted

I'm looking at 3 different rims for my '78 280z. I have not made up my mind 100% yet, so what are your opinions?

KONIG 17" w/adaptors (honda) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2462876793&category=6763

PANASPORT 16" http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2462878344&category=6763

Team Dynamics 17" (thanks iskone) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43957&item=2462798084

I know they are running slightly different prices, and they are all slightly diferent breeds of rims. Just currious what opinions you guys have.

Unfortunatly, I like them all...My opinions on them?

Konig = Real Race style, true performer, go silver or white in paint, very minimalist style, nothing flashy.

Panasport = Classic style, not stock, nice cruizer, weekend car, keep the stock chrome and allt he other bits.

TD = Bit ricey, but cool. depending on paint scheme, could be good alt to the Konigs. If you go with a solid color car w/ black highlights, this would be a good wheel to have in black. Slick

JMO's

The Z is Orange (still has original factory paint) and will stay orange. The reason I'm getting rims now is because I have wear half way up the tires on my 14" stock and I'm afraid I'm ging to roll a bead. So the 16" is the min, and performance is #1 on my list, so 17" is the max. But yea Black, bronz, or white would look sweet. Looks are #2.

Guest iskone

Those Konig's look pretty sick!

I plan to paint my Z orange in the future and was thinking black or gun metal, thats why I like those TD's.

I don't think they are pricey since wheels can be a grand a peice. Donb't forget wheels are one of the first things people notice about your car, and completly set the tone of your ride.

I think the TD's are the best bang for your buck with the choices you have. There are quite a few looks you can go with if you buy TD's and afew offsets as well.

I like the team dynamics, straight fit nice wheel.

panasport, nice wheel but theres too many z cars with them

Konig-I cant see myself running them, every zx in my side of town sports a set. good wheel for the price i must say.

you really cant go wrong with the three i think.

What kind of racing are you planning? If it is crooked track then any wheel can work with the right tire. If you're planning on drag racing then the smaller diameter wheel that allows you more sidewall for wrinkle is the way to go. If you are planning on using it as a daily driver and have potholes, RR tracks, etc. - I'd opt for the 16's. Also - look at weight - heavier wheel/tire combinations are your enemy more so in drag racing than crooked track - but - for daily driving - it generally means a sturdier wheel less likely to deform when accidently pounded across a rough RR crossing. It's a compromise unless you single-purpose the car to one kind of competition use only and no daily driving. But, if that's the case, then you don't want any of these wheels!

The Z is not a daily driver, and to this date in time has never been on the track. Its primary use is simply a toy for right now. Would I like to get the car on the track someday, yes. It will be driven on country roads, city streets, and someday the track. I seriously doubt that these will be the last set of rims I put on this car, I'm just not ready to do the body yet (hence the original paint). The car has been a toy it's entire life, it had 68k on the odometer (unrolled) before it got its first V8. So to make a long story short, these rims are primarily for the street, but the weight and strength are the two most important things on my list.

fly327 wrote

Konig-I cant see myself running them, every zx in my side of town sports a set. good wheel for the price i must say.

Thanks buddy, since I'm one of the zx's on his side of town that he is refering too :wink:

I have actually only seen one other to date. I know I'm biased, by the wheel is such a perfect match for the the style (they look gorgeous on the car). Too many Pansports (however, very nice not to have adaptors). I don't see the appeal with the TD's (white wheels on an orange car?)

Guest zline

Get the panasports!!

On an orange Z they'll look HOT..all those rim widths kinda suck though...

So take them to a local welder and have him widen the fronts to 8" and the rears to 9.5 and reverse the center so you get some ultra deep dish!!

but thats just what I'd do.