HybridZ

Traction bars on a 280z??

Take a look at this car. Aside from the argument if it's real or not it does have some unique parts. I sure could use a solution that helps my wheel hop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6187&item=2466155601#ebayphotohosting

1)What are the bars ahead of the rear wheels? Traction bars? How?

http://jgkurz.home.comcast.net/pictures/bobsharpz/bar.jpg

2)What is a Z-Tech block?

http://jgkurz.home.comcast.net/pictures/bobsharpz/block.jpg

High Performance 1976 280Z Bob Sharp racing car modified for everyday street use. Excellent condition with only 70,000 orignal miles. 5 Speed manual High Performance fuel injected 300 horsepower 6 cylinder engine Z Tech block. This car was built for higher RPMs and currently tachs out at 8,000. This car came off of the race track and was modified for everyday use and is legal for street use. Interior was completely updated to allow for multiple seating and street use and this was done one year ago. Please note there is a tear on the driver's seat. Transmission was rebuilt in January 2004 (New transmission has 1,000 miles on it). New struts installed in February 2004. Pressure Plate was rebuilt for high performance; Aluminum fly wheel; steel forged pistons; can hook-up for use of nitrous, high performance CAM; Bob Sharp racing engine with a Z Tech block; steel braided brake hoses; and close ratio rank and pinion steering. Traction bar for better handling. Tires are one year old.

The car isn't what's advertised and the guy advertising it is a wanker.

"Steel forged pistons"

The first Nissan engine ever built with steel pistons!

"Interior was completely updated to allow for multiple seating"

2+2?

"close ratio rank and pinion steering"

The whole friggin' ad is rank!

"Traction bar for better handling."

Just one?

"High Performance fuel injected 300 horsepower 6 cylinder engine Z Tech block."

Amazing! 300 horsepower with the stock fuel injectors! I guess that little Z Tech decal near the dipstick is worth 50hp alone!

To answer you questions:

1. Slapper bars as shown in your picture are a solution to traction problems with a leaf spring live axles rear suspension. Wouldn't work unless you swapped in the same type of suspension.

2. Have no idea who Z-Tech is but if I was the owner of the company I would be embarrassed to be associated with this ad.

Hey TomoHawk. That's funny. Not ha ha funny, but still funny.

Just kidding...

I don't think my wheel hop problem can be solved with a diff mount or bumber since it's not a live axle setup. The diff is already locked down. I have adjustable struts and I still can't get it controlled.

The car is will be capable of low 12's or better if I don't have to let off because of wheel hop.

Hey TomoHawk. That's funny. Not ha ha funny' date=' but still funny.

Just kidding...

I don't think my wheel hop problem can be solved with a diff mount or bumber since it's not a live axle setup. The diff is already locked down. I have adjustable struts and I still can't get it controlled.

The car is will be capable of low 12's or better if I don't have to let off because of wheel hop.[/quote']

Tires were causing my wheel hop. Street tires were nasty that way, then when I ran drag radials the hop went away completely. If I broke traction, they just spun.

And traction bars are only to prevent axle wrap, which is a characteristic of leaf sprung, solid axles.

Check into tires and worn strut cartridges, as well as making sure the suspension bushings are all tight and the diff is located tightly.