HybridZ

side marker idea...

utvolman99

Ahh the Datsun Z.

Body syle inspired by Ferrari...

Suspension inspired by porsha...

Side marker lights inspired by UHAUL!!

I really hate those things! :evil: I'm sure that this is not my original idea but I think I am going to weld those babies up and go with a set of clear markers between my wheel well and door. I would like to only do the ones in the front and not have anything in the back? Do you guys think that this would be a problem? I have found this set of lights on a... well... ricer site! :roll: What do you guys think?

http://maxx-performance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MP&Category_Code=smarker

Wow, I guess no one cares about me or my side markers! :(

I just had another brain storm. I wonder if anyone has ever put a light behind the Z badge behind the door and used that as the back marker light? I would do it in clear instead of red so it wouldn't really be leagal but I think it could look pretty cool if done right?

Am I heading down that slippery slope into a giant box of Uncle Bens or does this sound pretty cool?

I like the idea but I happened to notice the sidemarkers on the new vw beetles and I think they would look awesome in this application. I wish I had pics I even had my digital cam with my but my batteries were shot. Good luck. Cutting should be no prob as the cut is smaller than the marker light so it doesnt have to be picture perfect. Filling the old marker whole would be the only slight challenge. Good luck

I like the idea but I happened to notice the sidemarkers on the new vw beetles and I think they would look awesome in this application. I wish I had pics I even had my digital cam with my but my batteries were shot. Good luck. Cutting should be no prob as the cut is smaller than the marker light so it doesnt have to be picture perfect. Filling the old marker whole would be the only slight challenge. Good luck

There are several OEM marker lights that I think would look better on the Z. The reason that I think I will go with these is that they are a no brainer to install. If you look all you do is drill one round hole with a regular hand drill.

I think my biggest problem will be finding a way to back light the Z badge on the quarter. The more I I think about it the more I like this idea. I will need to find/cut down a lense that will sit back in the pod. I know that there is a vent into the inside of the car from behind the badge. it would be great if I could keep that as well.

Hey, some of that ricer junk is actually USEFUL. If it wasn't for ricers, there wouldn't be any cone air filters, and all that other (neat) stuff. The good thing isthat you can make use of it on your Z, as long as you don't think it'll make more HP :lol:

Some of those fancy lights might be nice as a replacement, the fuel cap covers, etc. I might get myself a set of those driving lights (they fit the cutout in the nose)...

Some other things look nice, but I'm ashamed to admit it here (j/k) I just wish they'd come up with some NORMAL-LOOKING Auto shift knobs! (I'm using a Dodge Intrepid shift knob)

I got two pair of clear, slightly convexed (for body curve) ovals. They are from the Mazdas 626/Protoge early to mid 1990's. No visable screws, thus will contribute to the "shaved" appearence. I paid 30.00 on ebay for both. I'll use appropriate color bulbs red/amber. The other options IMO, were from the newer Jaguar or Lexus. The price for those is ridiculous, even from the local bone yard. I agree, those unsightly stock protrusions must go.

What I'm planning on doing is cutting out the "Z" (like the one on the piller) in place of the side markers, and back lighting them.

I think that would look really cool to add that to the fender in place of the front marker but not both the front and the back. Also, if I were going to do that with the front marker I would probably shave the original one on the piller. You dont want a bunch of little round Zs on the side of your car! :D

Check back here over the next couple of days. I am going to go to mess around with back lighting the one on the piller just to see how it looks. My car is in primer and the whole front is off but maybe it will give us an idea.

If it works I will probably just keep the Z where it is and use it for my back marker. I am looking for more of a glow than a bright light though so we will see how it goes.

auxilary, that looks like the same marker I linked above. I have been looking at cars over the last few days to see where there marker is located. I am pretty sure that I am going with an Aero II kit so I think it would look pretty good up there on the air dam. either way, I think its safe to say that at least my front marker hole will meet my mig sometime in the near future!

I am kind of torn between the marker being on the air dam or behind the wheel like on the BMWs and S2000.

no big deal with turn signals at all. I used Lockhart Philips (motorcycle) turn signals, paid 19.95 for both with bulbs. They have 3 wires, 1 ground, 1 low and 1 high. Just use a lead tester to find out which wire's which on the Z, and attach them directly. The Z turn signal is also same 3 wire setup.