HybridZ

It's here

Lockjaw

I don't have any way to host the pic's, sorry, but it is sweet looking.

As for purchasing, the supplier has not told me it was ok to reveal who, and I am going to respect his annonimity. Lets just say its not the easiest part to come up with unless you have someone that has a relationship with them, they don't like shipping to the USA.

Its so pretty, I almost hate to install it and get it dirty. :D

Bastaad, check here.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnkondo-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp%2FKameari_L6_2.htm

Well I hate to ask this, but why would I need to contact anyone, I have the part? HAHA

Actually the idea did occur to me, but in the spirit of being ethical and honest, I felt like copying someone elses design, and then selling it while they don't benefit wouldn't be fitting. So its going in my engine.

I guess when you have an idea or something and someone steals it and the glory for it from you, and they benefit, then you see why.

Guest bastaad525

Ah... that looks cool. Replaces the chain tensioner? Never really had problems with one... with that thing how do you know how tight to set the chain?

Also, why is there a problem with selling these in the US?

Guest nikko74z

Out of curosity....

I was looking at the pics of my old pontiac big block. I had set it up with a gear drive instead of the chain. It use to make a cool sound like a turbo spooling up. It occurred to me that the size of the two wheels that mount to the block itself are roughly the same size. I would not mind buying the piece out right, but it did not seem to difficult to me to adapt them in a bolt up fashion to the L-28. Not to mention, the gear drive set up for a chevy v-8 is much cheaper than the part from over seas. What do you guys think. I feel it can be done.

They are all polished, the one's ordered anyway.

I believe the top one is lubed via the chain, oil will creep up and down the chain, and it has a bearing of some sort in there.

The tension seems to be something you can adjust, when Yo2001 translates the manual for me, then I will know more.

I am not sure why they don't send them here, perhaps the language barrier is one hurdle, not to mention it wasn't exactly cheap to get it here. Not that I am complaining, but like I said, you can get a BHJ balancer cheaper.

I am telling you, it is one sweet looking piece. I really do hate the thought of putting something that nice in there. Kind of like my Ross forged pistons when they came in.

I cannot wait to get it in there, with the BHJ balancer, and a fresh head, and see what it does. Its not like I expect major HP gains, but, it should go along way towards making things more accurate timing wise. Maybe reduce some friction? I think so.

How is the top idler getting lubricated? That's the only thing I can see that could be a problem.

Joe

Both idler gears run on needle roller bearings.

The lower idler has its own oil feed, and the top idler catches oil from the chain in a half-moon which is machined into the block holding the gear. This feeds oil to the bearing.

Close-up photos of this detail can be seen here:

http://alansphotos.fotopic.net/p3673713.html

http://alansphotos.fotopic.net/p3673714.html

I say you get a machinist to make some nice copies and sell them for cheap, but enough to pay for the original. We need these parts here to be advailable in the US. You should contact some Z part manufacturers.

:roll:

Anybody who tries to market a copy is going to have to have a good lawyer. The designer / manufacturer of this part has put a lot of time, effort, research and yes -money into the project, and I can tell you that they will make every effort to protect that investment.

In any case, have you any idea what it would cost to make something of comparable quality? Have you costed a minimum run of custom-made gears? That's just the beginning.......

If you want to "sell them for cheap" you'll have to make them for cheap too. That's not the philosophy behind this item. It is always going to be a niche market part that will interest a very few people.