HybridZ

Anyone Running 18's???

Jon,

you didn't piss me off i apologize if i sounded that way. i have a great deal of respect you and other road races on the board you guys do really know you stuff when i comes down to getting z ready for some twisties sp. i guess that i was just trying to point out that my car was not built for that. i take great pride in my car that is my life work (sad but true heh) and calling my wheels rice tells me that my car is rice and i guess that makes me ricer :shock: crap lol. i guess not much i can do about that now except keep saving my money for 17x12 ccw's :D or should i go with 16x12 so i can fall out of ricer category :wink: .

Ivan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FL327,

on the side note do you want to start "Z ricer racers"? here is my contiribution http://home.comcast.net/~240drifter/steve2.wmv

first race is second gen awd talon (very much not stock :D ) vs. evo8 and then its me vs. same talon. this was about year ago when i just got my z running with haltech no i/c and t-3 at 10psi. let me know what you think :D .

Ivan

All I could get was sound, no image out of the video.

We could start something like that, I relish in the fact that my car is not only a rice rocket, its the ORIGINAL rice rocket. I would do the 18s except I cant keep rubber on the rear longer than 2months :twisted:

How is the haltech treatin ya? I got a ride in my buddies 240 with e6x and big boost and its a blast, runs so dang GOOD... :roll:

I hope to get my car up and running so I can run it at the night races friday, the typhoon guy is getting too many W's for me to just let it be. Im commited to wearing drag radials everytime I go out and about, who needs to see a 1.85 60'?? Im a rice rocket driver, I wont deny it, matter of fact, Im proud of it, Its my life, my car, and my BOOSt. That would be pretty cool to have a weekly kill video or something like that.

Real quick.

tannji,

yeah that was the guy with camera in talon who said that (driver missed second thats why i took off so nice :twisted: )

fl327,

i know what you mean about keeping rubber i was talking to friend of mine yesterday (pallnet) and he is going to sell me two 16x8 conquest wheels so i can have some d/radials for track. haltech was great until i took the whole car apart it always ran great no problems at all. hmmm weekly kill video sounds damn good to me i just need week or two more to get my car together but we are keeping it real in chitown with my friend garretts turboz on drag radials 24/7. lots of nice and new cars have gone down to that beast she might not be pretty but she sure does bust some a$$ lol.

Ivan

Oh shoot didnt notice you were running a five lug, changed stubs with the z31 front hubs or what? Nice, would love to do it, but thats such a can of worms I dont even want to start. While im doing the five lug I should:

go big brakes

rear disk brakes

cv

lsd

rims

Aghhhh.. screw it, thats what the spare halfshafts are for right?

Are you using the zxt distributor, or did you go coil packs. Haltech is still on the list of things to do, man the L motor is a completely different animal with that setup that I do know. My buddy has his cruise setup so dang lean, man... Id be on it now, but I went off and bought a couple cars with the haltech money, sold a few, bought some more, and addressing other parts of the car. Its strange, even when Im not beating the begeezus out of my car, the rubber just balds itself away? Anyways keep up the good work, Turbo 280z power YEAH :twisted:

You are kidding me about you definiton of rice right? Go to the first page and look again at my car and look at it good. Now if i told you that those were 17's could you tell the difference if they were on not? most likelly not. So now are we gonna call every z with 17's rice also? because then that would be very large number of z's.

Re-reading my post, I can't find in there where I say that 17" wheels are rice. I believe you have missed my point, so I'll restate it here to clarify.

Rice occurs when you modify your car to LOOK like something it's not.

And regarding whether I'd know your wheels were 17's? Yes. Yes, I would. But then, I measure things for a living, so I might not be the right person to ask. To my eyes your wheels look out of proportion with the rest of the car. That's not to say they're WRONG, they just look larger than I'm used to seeing on an S30 Z car, so they jar MY eyes. I love the styling of them, but if I were to buy for MY car, I'd put less metal and more rubber in the wheelwells. JUST MY OPINION. The bottom line is, Tom asked for an opinion, and I gave it. I think 99.9% of 18" wheels on a Z don't look good.

As Dennis Miller says, "I could be wrong."

You know... I was a bit quick with my first post there... But Im with RPMs and frankly, I just don't like the look of those rims. I brough up "rice" because the majority of rims you see like that are ussually slapped on a 'riced out' car. Honda, Chev cavilier,VW, WHATEVER. BUT: I have yet to actually se a riced out Z on this board. Heck.. at least most of you can DRIVE yours!

And correct me if I'm wrong.. but with 18" rims, arn't there clerance issues in the wheel well/suspension area to take care of too? This isn't an 'envy' thing here...just IMO it seams like for what it costs to get a set of rims that big, and rubber to wrap them, (+ the work of making them fit)I can buy TWO sets of tires for 14" or 15" rims! Call me cheep but I look at that kind of cash, and see a lot more things I would do to my car than nice looking rims. And as for having no exp. in a Z with big rims, so be it. I was not COMPARING a Z to a Civic, just making a GENERALIZATION on biger than stock rims, and what I have seen/learned. The 30 year old cars that these are, were never designed with those kind of rims in mind, which leads me to believe the stearing/suspension/ect get put under a lot more strain running these bigger rims...(rotating mass, less tire sidewall, yada yada) Again, JMO and it might mean crap to you.. oh well.

For me, rims make the car. I dont car if its a pinto or a chevette. Throw on a nice set of rims and it can be a decent car. What can i say, im a ricer at heart i guess. I love big rims. They look so sexy. Well, IMO anyway. To each their own. I will be buying two sets of rims though, cruising rims(18") and a set for the track(15"-16"). Either way, its a Z, so it will be pimpin with both sets.

datsunlover

ok real quick. no clerance issues what so ever. yes it did take some work to get them to fit but nothing outstanding. i had to convert to five lug (could have bought them in four but i wanted extra strenght of five) and coilovers which was done before i even tought about wheels. wheels used to cost about $250 a piece i got them for $440 brand new shipped from cali to alabama so there is no way i was gonna turn that down :D . i guess to each its own (or something like that :wink: ).

Ivan

Guest comeandzpa
Rice occurs when you modify your car to LOOK like something it's not.

Watch your wording, there's a fine line here: sometimes cars aren't meant to be what they look like. Just because a car has big rims doesn't mean that the owner thinks he can run a 6 second 1/4 thanks to the dubs and his nitrous sticker. Some cars are designed and built to be show cars, cars with no other purpose than to LOOK nice. The owner doesn't care at all about performance, he just wants a car that will turn heads when he drives by. Not to say that this won't hurt his ride or performance, or that there are any real objective benefits here. It's just a matter of personal preference. Also, I do not mean to imply that every owner of a car with big rims doesn't expect performance/ride improvements. Some put them on because they're big, what can I say. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as is the wallet. If the owner wants to slap a set of 18s, why say no?

Its funny though... if someone does something 'because they want to' or 'because they like it', thats fine by me. BUT: it is also MY right to say 'I dont like that' And I think it's reasonable that I can not like something for whatever reason I want then right? But.. as soon as you say something to the effect of; I don't like that, I wouldnt do that, ect, people tend to get a little angry/touchy. I almost NEVER say/do anything intentionaly to piss someone off. I'm just not that type of person.. but sometimes it gets taken that way I guess.. just the nature of the medium we all use to have these discussions I supose...

Guest comeandzpa
Its funny though... if someone does something 'because they want to' or 'because they like it', thats fine by me. BUT: it is also MY right to say 'I dont like that' And I think it's reasonable that I can not like something for whatever reason I want then right? But.. as soon as you say something to the effect of; I don't like that, I wouldnt do that, ect, people tend to get a little angry/touchy. I almost NEVER say/do anything intentionaly to piss someone off. I'm just not that type of person.. but sometimes it gets taken that way I guess.. just the nature of the medium we all use to have these discussions I supose...

Yeah, everybody has the right to say that they don't like something. I am one of such people, as there are many things I've said I didn't like in my life. However, the difference is when somebody says they don't like something because it's "wrong" or "counterproductive." To them, maybe, but to the owner, obviously not or else they wouldn't have done it. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me so long as they don't insist that my opinion is the "wrong" one. It's ok to be different.

Aight what's so bad about thrown on an 18 and havn' some tuck on the fenders? I think it looks pretty sweet. And personally having had 15's and 14's the ride sucked compared to my 17's, but then again i like a car where i can feel the road. my 15's had too much sidewall fles even on a 60 series. Plus the tires are more redily available for 17's. Bigger brakes fit under 17's my car used to lift at 120 on my 15's. at 140 with my 17's i can let go of the wheel and it feels very stable. I think it benifited from the added weigh of the bigger rims. My car also handles like it's on rails now, very predictable. Plus the 17's make the car look newer in my opinion. When i tell people my car is over 25 years old they look at me in aww with a "No Way" expression on their face.

I'm trying to make my car look newer as i think the chrome gives it an old look. I love the lines on the car and i think the rims make it pop. My dad was against me geting rims the whole time... after i got them and put them on... he want's bigger rims on his Porsche.

But in true honesty "One man's trash is another man's treasure" and i do not think we should be wasting valuable space on the forum arguing about opinions. There is always going to be one person out here that does not like what you are doing with your car. Keep in mind everybody on this forum loves their Z and feelings are easily crushed. Walk softly my friends.

I have nothing against people who are running 15's or 16's or 14's either... these are purely my opinions and reasons for switching to 17's.

So lets please get back on topic and post pictures of 18's or 17's as the man originally requested. There is just about 2 pages of biased arguments on opinions on here.

-Ed

To be honest I stoped reading about the middle of page 2 in this thread but im gonna say what i came to say. A freind of mine has 19x9F & 20x10R on his 2002 camaro and the ride isnt that bad im it doesnt hurt your ass or anything of the sort and they dont look gotty(dont think that words right) or ricey they just look all out mean his car would make your Z crap its pants but your Z would beat him in a race but dont take this as an attak anyone just wanted to put in my 2 cents

enlarge-845r.jpg

Guest Big Phil

I have been running 17 inch rims on my 280z for over 9 years and I love them. I have never bent a rim. The ride is fine and the car handles great.

Here some links to some pictures of my car.

http://groups.msn.com/Datsun280zClub/bigphils78280z.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=59

http://groups.msn.com/Datsun280zClub/bigphils78280z.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=60

Over the years I have received nothing but postive comments so if big rims are trendy, they have been trendy for almost a decade. Big rims give the car a more aggressive look and fills the wheelwells without excessively lowering the vehicle. Whenever a auto maker builds a concept car, they ulitizes larger rims because it looks good.

If you are going to buy large rims, make sure that they are forged aluminum not cast aluminum. Forged rims are much stronger so they won't bend or crack easily. They are also lighter which reduces the unsprung weight. The result is better handling. My 17 inch 3 piece forged rim weigh less than the average 15 inch cast aluminum rim. My ride is only slightly stiffer than a similar Datsun with 15 inch rims due to to lower tire aspect ratio (45 vs 60). You will lose a couple of horsepower at the wheels due to the fact that a 17 inch rim has a larger rotational inertia

Use this table to compare the weights of forged and cast rims.

http://www.mysportscar.com/features/wheelweight.htm#K

Honda to Datsun adapters add extra unsprung weight so try not to use them. Several companies like HRE, Kinesis, Simmons and Forgeline custom make forged rims for z cars. You can have a 17x8 set rims that will fit without adapters or coilovers. I have access to HRE wheels and Kinesis wheels at a discount, but you are still looking at $2600 per set minimum in 17 inch and $3000 per set in 18 inch. Expect to spend an additional $500-600 on tires.

So if you want to go big and you want maintain your performance, you are going to have to spend big.