HybridZ

E-bay v-8 Z fest

dsommer

I don't ever remember seeing this many HybridZ's on E-bay before!!!

LT-1 car!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6187&item=2477350655&rd=1

This ones been out there before Purple w/blower!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6187&item=2477124868&rd=1

Rough looking, scarab position but hey 350 is in there!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6187&item=2477217660&rd=1

1976 w/3 hole intake

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6187&item=2476264379&rd=1

I couldn't find the 2+2 Scarab that was out there for $9995 but it is on Trader on line if you search.

ds

Guest bastaad525

Okay I'm sorry but blower or not that purple thing is f'ing hideous..... looks like a damn hot wheels toy.

Too bad their mostly 280's, mostly carbed and mostly 3 speed autos.....

Okay I'm sorry but blower or not that purple thing is f'ing hideous..... looks like a damn hot wheels toy.

Too bad their mostly 280's' date=' mostly carbed and mostly 3 speed autos.....[/quote']

I love that purple car....it's soo over the top!!

You're just mad that you didn't go V8 instead of L6T :wink::cry::twisted::D:D

Too bad their mostly 280's' date=' mostly carbed and mostly 3 speed autos.....[/quote']

this from the guy who bought ON3GO's ranger engine... :shock:

THE SECRET IS OUT!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

this from the guy who bought ON3GO's ranger engine... :shock:

THE SECRET IS OUT!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

Dude!! You need to replant your 'grapevine' :twisted::D:D:D:D

Guest ON3GO

HHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH.. leave my rangers engine out of this... that 2.3lt 4cyl with 8 spark plugs has a new home and leave it at that :D

mike

Guest bastaad525

Tim... seriously.... :evil:

You know, it's not like american V8's are THE most reliable engines ever built either. You know... I remember growing up around american cars only... my dad loved them... he had lots of muscle cars and such... when I first wanted a fast car that's the route I chose until problem after problem deterred me and then I was converted by a Z. But I remember distinctly... that back then the idea was ingrained into me that american cars and their motors were seldom good for more than 100,000-150,000 miles. My Z converted me when it ticked over 290,000 and still ran great, no smoke, no burning oil, great even compression. I have yet to hear of ONE american car going that long w/o serious problems. If I had a choice between a brand new L6 motor or a brand new V8 I'd pick the L6 every time, because I KNOW it will last me longer. That is one thing that influenced my decision to go with a turbo over a V8. I know american cars have come a long way, quality wise, but they also still have a long way to go, IMO, before they can match the hardiness of a good japanese motor. Yeah so I got screwed and ended up getting one hell of an abused and worn out turbo L6... but look at the experiences I've had in the past with Z's... nothing but 5 star ratings from me for reliability. I'm not 'mad' or jealous or any other thing like that that I didn't get a V8... and I'm not convinced that if I had that I'd be any better off, sorry. On the contrary, I'd probably have spent about the same amount just getting the motor in, as I"ve spent up to date repairing 100 things that have gone wrong. On the flipside, lots of people have installed junkyard L6's of unknown quality and had no problems for years... again, just my screwed luck on this one.

if I had to do it again I would consider going V8 only because this car has made me leary of forced induction in general, and I know to achieve the kind of power I was looking for (250-300rwhp) in a streetable well behaved daily driver without forced induction, V8 would be just about the only way to go.

Tim,

You're the only person I know who is crazy about the color purple! Forget the MoguuZ or however it's spelled, I'm calling your car the Grimace! As in....

grimace1.jpg

HAHAHA!:D

bastaad525,

Don't even think about arguing with Tim on these topics :D I only went for the V8 swap because it was unique and a lot cheaper but I'd take a built Japanese motor (like an RB26DETT, hell, even a VQ twin turbo!) anyday if I had the money.

The domestic crowd says there's no replacement for displacement, and the ricers say there is, a 1.6L and a turbo. Well I say big displacement AND turbo(s) = untouchable!

Anyway, to keep this thread on topic, that purple car is ugly.

Owen

Guest bastaad525

beyond ugly, I dont care what's under the hood... it's freakin HID-E-OUS!!!!!

I wanna say... where the hell is the antenna sticking up outta the back and the kid controlling the thing with a pistol grip RC....

yeah I know Tim wont be swayed but I wont be either... there is nothing that will ever convince me that an american V8 would outdo an L6 for reliability, turbocharged or not. I say this even after all the crap that I've gone thru with my very abused turbo L6.

BTW Tim, not really sure why I'm mentioning this but for some reason I think you might be interested, if you haven't seen it already. There's an ad in the classifieds here, a guy selling a camaro engine setup like yours with the mounts and all that jazz, almost the same deal you're thinking of selling out of your car. At first I thought it was your ad til I noticed his is coming with a auto trans.

Bryan,

Yeah that's Stan's motor, which is an AWESOME deal. I know what's gone into that engine!!!

Pony up Bryan and get it over with!!

BTW...I am not hard core Domestic V8....I grew up with SBCs and was stripping and helping to rebuild them since I was 6 years old. I love boosted applications, and boosted SBCs would be the bomb, but I just don't have much experience with the Jap engines.

I love the L6, but not so much as a performance engine. I think to get the kind of performance from an L6 (boosted or not), lots of $$$ have to be spent, and then the reliability (the main strong point of the L6) is lost.

I ran a 2.8 L6 from a Skyline in my LandRover 88" short wheel base back in South Africa. It was a great setup!! Nothing could touch it off road, not even the new 'Discos' or 110 defenders!!!

Just don't pigeon hole me.....for reliability/hp, domestic V8 is unsurpassed in my honest opinion.

now back to the regularly scheduled topic......

Well, to return to the beginning of this thread... Yeah, for some reason most V8 conversions for sale have 3-speed automatic transmissions, and fall into one of two categories: lots of customization with questionable overall effect, or a “just dropped in the engine, hooked it up and got it running†conversion. The former would take lots of effort/money/time to undo the 9†fender flares, sunroof and built-in jacuzzi/wet bar; the latter needs new frame rails and rocker panels.

Back when I lived in Los Angeles I’d find a V8 Z for sale in the “Recycler†newspaper at a frequency of one maybe every couple of months. A particularly memorable one was a “Nordskog†(sp?) special, complete with elaborate documentation of its history. Its claim to fame was that it had an emissions system that passed California smog check in the 1980’s, when such swaps were rather rare, especially street-legal ones. Definitely something of historical interest. Well, the thing was in such poor mechanical condition that it had a hard time reaching 25 mph on the residential streets where I test drove it.

Which reminds me of the recent “how much will it cost to do a swap†thread on the Chevy forum. I considered buying some one else’s project as a route towards cost savings. But after realizing how much would have to be changed to get the car to fit my personal interests, and how much restoration would be required on all but the priciest swaps, it made more sense to start from scratch.

Nevertheless... is Jim Biondo’s Z still for sale? Now that one was a genuine deal!

Guest bastaad525
Bryan' date='

Yeah that's Stan's motor, which is an AWESOME deal. I know what's gone into that engine!!!

Pony up Bryan and get it over with!!

[/quote']

shyeaaaahhhhh right, I WISH!!! Let me just check my secret swiss bank account... hmm... that's funny... called the bank and they've never heard of me!!! Seriously... my wallet and bank account are comparable to a helium filled balloon right about now, light and airy, and getting a good wiff makes you talk funny and want to laugh your ass off. If I can't even afford to keep my car on the road as is, how could I 'pony up' for yet another motor swap?

I love the L6' date=' but not so much as a performance engine. I think to get the kind of performance from an L6 (boosted or not), lots of $$$ have to be spent, and then the reliability (the main strong point of the L6) is lost.

[/quote']

I agree with you wholeheartedly there!!!

I ran a 2.8 L6 from a Skyline in my LandRover 88" short wheel base back in South Africa. It was a great setup!! Nothing could touch it off road' date=' not even the new 'Discos' or 110 defenders!!!

Just don't pigeon hole me.....for reliability/hp, domestic V8 is unsurpassed in my honest opinion.

[/quote']

I'm not pigeonholing you bro.... you've told me enough about cars and setups you've had and experiences you've had with numerous cars during my visits... I know you're not a brand loyal chevy-only purist or anything like that. I simply meant, there's no way you're oppinion would be swayed that a V8 swap beats out the turbo swap... and you already know that after my own experiences I'd agree with you for the most part. I personally cant help if my view of the reliability of american iron was soured when I was a youngun.... just hard for me to think of "V8" and "reliable" in the same sentence.... but, if I COULD swap yet again, I WOULD!! Anything to get my car back on the road as the dependable daily driver I had come to expect it to be