HybridZ

Joey's LS1 swap update pics

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm lagging big time!!! The car is basically the same as my last update. I haven't lost interest by any means, I've just been soo busy. I haven't had any time. Just got back from 2 weeks vacation back east, back to back weddings, nascar, carshows, softball and family events, have taken up all my free time. :cry: I'm gonna have the car shipped out this week for exhaust and start working on it after repairing everybody elses crap all day long! I'm shooting for 2 weeks! Very tired of pushing it in and out of the shop daily!!

JOEY

Got some what of an update!!!

The car is at Mel and Sons getting the exhaust put on. They did MAS280'S and KHASHABI1'S. There guy Tony, does great work! What I'm doing is 2.5" off the Sanderson headers, Through 2 glass packs, to a single 3" out the back to a magna flow muffler. Tony said with that set up will be more than enough exhaust for the car and it will have a nice sound!

The throttle cable I'm using one from a Camaro (thanks Mike Knell). What I did is remove the pedal assembly from the car. I cut the curved part off the metal rod, so it is now straight. I then drilled a hole, towards the top, for the cable to go through. On the body,I hammered the piece of sheet metal down, to bring the pedal up and get full accel. Bingo. The pedal is still lower than the brake pedal and flored the throttle plate is wide open!!!

Will get some pictures to MAS to post soon. THANKS MIKE!!!

JOEY :rockon:

Hey Dave!! seems we took over this 280zx thread. Anyways. I agree 100% with MAS280' date=' the JTR Trans member will work. Mike Knell is on top of his game(talked to him this week). John will give you a refund. Also do me a favor and let me know the length of your drive shaft, say the length of the tube. The reason I'm asking is my drive shaft was about 6 inches short. John knows about this. I figure I bought my kit in January, sooo the problem has been corrected by the time you got yours. I looked at the shaft for 2 weeks, with no time to escape from work and Drive Line services picking up a customers shaft. I had them take mine and lengthen it. John knows this and offered to compinsate. My Z is at the Muffler shop right now, and I will have it back on monday. Soooo if it takes me till then to get back to you on length. I will and I will add to the JOEY PICS post on the exhaust and my throttle cable!

JOEY[/quote']

I am posting this here also for Joey.

The measurements for the driveshaft provided by John at JCI with my LS1 stuff is as follows:

27 1/2" overall length from end of slip yoke to end of pinion mount adapter.

20 3/4" from center of U joint to center of U joint.

I also measured the distance from the end of the trans. tailshaft to the Diff. mount and it measures 24 7/8". The slip yoke has a 3 1/2" neck on it so that leaves approx. 1" for forward/rear movement.

Joey,

Really looking nice. Excellent install. :2thumbs: I am very impressed.

Suggestion - try to use the double length brass nuts if you can to attach the exhaust pipes to the headers. They won't corrode up and will make it easier in the future to remove if you need to. Won't have to use a bunch of WD-40.

What size pipe did you go to when you dropped down to th e single - 3"? If I remember right that is about as big as you can go and still maintain any ground clearance.

I really like the small diameter dual mufflers. What size/ mfg. are they? I may be wanting to add them to my system as I think it's still a little too noisy inside for me.

First off big THANKS to Mas280 for posting pictures!!!

The exhaust is 2.5" off the headers through 2 18" glass packs (sorry don't know the brand) to 3" out the back to a Magnaflo 3" in and out. Mel and Sons did a very nice job!

Nice to have time to get this completed.

Whats left, Fuel lines, Speedometer and wire to car!!!

Shooting for 2 week deadline!!!!

JOEY

The exhaust cost 750.00!!! Ouch.. but... or no buts He did an excellent job. As you probably know, there man Tony also did MAS280'S and KHASHABI1'S LS1Z'S.

MAS280 recommended MEL AND SONS. Through out this whole project MAS280 has given me alot of advice, opinions and tips. He has yet to steer me wrong. Mike has alot of knowledge and is always willing to share. Thanks again

JOEY

Joey,

Awesome looking install. The exhaust looks sweet. I can't wait til you get it on the road.

I wish I had someone like Mas280 around here to help me.

Do you think the air intake you used could be routed to the passenger side? I would rather give up the vent for outside air on the passenger side and keep the driver (me ) cooler.

Looks like I could flip the intake to the other side. Then again the hole on the passenger side looks alittle smaller. Vent tubes? I'm guessing the 240z has hoses attatched to these holes going to the cabin? Where my set is, is where the stock air intake was. Again all the air intake is available from JTR.

JOEY

That exhaust system looks amazing.

I think putting the intake on the driver's side is definitely the way to go. I chose passenger side because I was concerned about upper radiator hose interference - which is dumb. I have many more problems with the overflow line and tank.

Everytime I see another one of these clean, aesthetic, better than factory looking LS1 installs I have to bite my lip and just try to remind myself that my car runs, I can drive it, my car runs, looks don't matter, my car runs :roll: I don't think it's working. Then again, $750 vs. $75...

The exhaust cost 750.00!!! Ouch.. but... or no buts He did an excellent job. As you probably know, there man Tony also did MAS280'S and KHASHABI1'S LS1Z'S.

$750 is pricey :shock: , and mine will probably run more cause I want to run duel exhaust all the way back. But judging from what I see in the pictures :-D , I'll probably trailer my car there when it's ready and have him do my exhaust too. Tom